RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,722
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 787
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old December 12 2009, 11:42 AM   #1
KirkSpockTOSFan
Captain

Location: I will not allow you to lecture me about the merits of emotion
Star Trek XI Action Figures

You know how they have all these different sizes of the action figuires from the movie? Well I ran across somewhere on the internet they are releasing a second round of the action figures from the movie, but there different. I just wondering if and when they are going to do it. I'm looking for a 12'inch action figure of Scotty. They have Kirk,Spock,McCoy,Spock Prime, and at Toys R Us they have Sulu and Pike. I was just wondering when they were planing on releasing the others from the movie like Scotty,Chekov,Uhura,and the others? I'm collecting all everytthing from the movie including the action figuries. Of the action figuries of the 12'inch scale I have Kirk, Spock, and McCoy. I plan on getting Spock Prime,Sulu,Pike a lot later. I also like to get Scotty,Chekov and Uhura if they come out later. Where Can I find out this information on the new releases of these?
Old December 12 2009, 12:34 PM   #2
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Trek XI Action Figures

Actually, all Wave 2 Star Trek XI toys have been put "on hold" by Playmates for the immediate future because the big U.S. retail stores don't want 'em (Playmates flooded retailers with too many Wave 1 figures that aren't selling anymore, IMO). Online orders for Wave 2 have been canceled. They may yet see the light of day, but right now Playmates is trying to figure out how what to do while they still have the license...
http://trekmovie.com/2009/11/25/play...s-put-on-hold/
Old December 12 2009, 08:02 PM   #3
shadowedgalaxy
Lieutenant Commander

I think the reason why the figs weren't selling is simple: they're ugly. C'mon, the Kirk figures have yellow curly hair!
shadowedgalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12 2009, 11:31 PM   #4
miraclefan
Commodore

Anyone else think Hasbro should have been given the license to make the figures?

THEY WERE THE JUDGES!
miraclefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2009, 01:02 AM   #5
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

It isn't just Playmates that's been having problems. Hasbro has had less than spectacular sales with G.I. Joe and Transformers too and toy sales in general have been kind of soft this year.

But back with Star Trek XI toys, I think that sales were good leading up to the movie and during its initial release, but then bottomed out quickly afterward. It may have been a mistake to release figures in three different sizes since most people probably just chose one size and ignored the others. That kind of choice was great for consumers, but bad for the retail stores carrying more than one size because they found themselves with lots of product that wasn't going to move anymore. As a result, they probably were in no hurry or inclination to order Wave 2 toys...
Old December 13 2009, 01:06 AM   #6
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

miraclefan wrote: View Post
Anyone else think Hasbro should have been given the license to make the figures?
Hasbro should basically make every action figure.
Shazam! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2009, 03:17 AM   #7
Wynterhawk
Commodore

Location: Wynterhawk is cool like the other side of your pillow

I'd like to see what McFarlane could do with the figures. I am still looking forward to the 12 inch Command Team they're supposedly releasing that has *every* member of the command team.
Wynterhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2009, 04:10 AM   #8
MvRojo
Vice Admiral

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
It isn't just Playmates that's been having problems. Hasbro has had less than spectacular sales with G.I. Joe and Transformers too and toy sales in general have been kind of soft this year.

But back with Star Trek XI toys, I think that sales were good leading up to the movie and during its initial release, but then bottomed out quickly afterward. It may have been a mistake to release figures in three different sizes since most people probably just chose one size and ignored the others. That kind of choice was great for consumers, but bad for the retail stores carrying more than one size because they found themselves with lots of product that wasn't going to move anymore. As a result, they probably were in no hurry or inclination to order Wave 2 toys...
Yeah, while the 12" were good for collectors, there was no good reason to make both 3.75" and 6" figures, and then have no variety beyond crewmembers in uniform or cadet uniform. If they had mixed in something distinctive that stood out, it might have helped sales.
MvRojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2009, 04:50 AM   #9
Ziz
Commodore

Wynterhawk wrote: View Post
I'd like to see what McFarlane could do with the figures. I am still looking forward to the 12 inch Command Team they're supposedly releasing that has *every* member of the command team.
McFarlane doesn't do "action" figures - they do statues. Any minor articulation their stuff has lies somewhere between "accidental", "convenient" and "dumb luck".
Old December 13 2009, 07:46 AM   #10
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

I dunno. I never bought the Playmates stuff because I'm such an advocate of Art Asylum, which does far superior work.
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2009, 08:54 AM   #11
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Yeah, the thing is that while GI Joe and Transformers are still cluttering the shelves (Wolverine too), Trek figures are nowhere to be seen.

I had a feeling that the Trek line was going to pull an Indiana Jones.
Old December 13 2009, 09:12 AM   #12
MvRojo
Vice Admiral

Torg wrote: View Post
Yeah, the thing is that while GI Joe and Transformers are still cluttering the shelves (Wolverine too), Trek figures are nowhere to be seen.

They're still clogging the shelves at all the TRUs in my area.
MvRojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2009, 09:24 AM   #13
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Torg wrote: View Post

I dunno, I see Star Trek (2009) Playmates toys all over the place whenever I go to a Target.
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2009, 10:11 AM   #14
Illinoisguy1
Ensign

MvRojo wrote: View Post
Yeah, while the 12" were good for collectors, there was no good reason to make both 3.75" and 6" figures, and then have no variety beyond crewmembers in uniform or cadet uniform. If they had mixed in something distinctive that stood out, it might have helped sales.
I agree, instead of both the 3.75 inch and 6 inch figures they should have gone for 5 inch and make the playsets for that size.

Personally I only bought the smaller 2 sizes. The 3.75 inch ones for the bridge pieces and the 6 inch sizes because they looked better than the smaller ones.

I never got into the 12 inch sizes, because of storage space is limited and that they're too doll-like for my tastes. But that's just me.
Illinoisguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13 2009, 11:05 AM   #15
bbailey861
Admiral

Actually, all Wave 2 Star Trek XI toys have been put "on hold" by Playmates for the immediate future because the big U.S. retail stores don't want 'em (Playmates flooded retailers with too many Wave 1 figures that aren't selling anymore, IMO). Online orders for Wave 2 have been canceled. They may yet see the light of day, but right now Playmates is trying to figure out how what to do while they still have the license...
http://trekmovie.com/2009/11/25/play...s-put-on-hold/
I agree with your assessment. Everywhere you turned, up here, you could find racks and racks of the figurines. I can only imagine what it was like south of the border. All it did was cheapen the product. In any event, the only figurine I did get was Spock Prime which I keep beside a framed, hand drawn picture of young Spock that I received as a gift years ago.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote