IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 19 2010, 01:20 AM   #121
Harvey
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2010

That moment was predictable (telegraphed?), but I didn't think it was unrealistic. So I can live with it.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2010, 05:25 AM   #122
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Movies Seen in 2010
Duplicity - C-
The Hurt Locker - A
Moon - A

I finally saw Moon tonight. What a change of pace this movie is compared to so many other Sci Fi films. There is always so much action and special effects, and in some films, like Avatar, those special effects take something away from the story. Not so with Moon. While I admit, it was a bit overhyped, what I liked about this one was there was no action, and it was an entire character peace dealing with human reaction more than anything else. Rockwell gave a powerful performence, and I have to say this movie is one of the better movies I've seen recently. It's too late to make a top 10 list, but this movie is the best I've seen in 2010.
Old January 19 2010, 05:40 AM   #123
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

A Serious Man (2009) [B+]

Pretty good film... just way too many movies I liked for it to be one of my favorites from last year.
Old January 19 2010, 10:33 AM   #124
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

I just watched "Up" for the first time.
Damn Pixar and their well written and animated films that convey so much sweet emotion that many times in the movie I teared up at particularly heartfelt scenes.

Seriously, I was tearing up 5 minutes into the film, it was so sweet!
I think heaven is what you make it. When I close my eyes for the final time, I hope to wake up standing in a grassy, breezy, sunlit field, a green tennis ball at my feet, and a little black lab, with a white diamond on her chest, running right towards me.
Rainbow Dash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2010, 10:22 PM   #125
LitmusDragon
Commodore

Starship Troopers - C+
District 9 - A
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince - B+

I had first seen Starship Troopers when it first came out, and at the time I was largely unaware of the concept of satire. As such that aspect of it flew right over my head. I watched it again recently, and it's true, it is a pretty good satire- most of the time. Other times it seems as though the ridiculous characters want us to take them seriously. The propoganda films are the best part of the movie. C+

District 9 was great. I didn't expect this kind of movie. It's really an adventure film with some political underpinnings, I was more expecting a direct allegory. Anyway, this is better than what I thought I was going to get. It's a lot of fun hating the main character and then growing to sympathize with him by the end. A

I continue to like the Harry Potter films. Maybe I should give the books another chance. B+
LitmusDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2010, 12:48 AM   #126
Korob
The Revd's Oldman

View Korob's Twitter Profile

4. Up In The Air

Fairly decent, a rom-com with a bit of a difference. It was good, until about 30 minutes from the end then it became dull and predictable.
Old January 20 2010, 07:27 AM   #127
ring
Lieutenant Junior Grade

seen AVATAR, thinking its nice to start 2010 with that movie on a ecstatic note. don't have any clue how the rest of the months will fare....keeping fingers crossed...
ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2010, 02:30 AM   #128
Harvey
Admiral

Sherlock Holmes [B-]
Men in Black [A]
Up in the Air [A]
Star Trek: The Motion Picture [D+]
I'm Not There [A]
Beyond a Reasonable Doubt (2009) [D-]
American Violet
Inglourious Basterds [A]
Death at a Funeral [B ]
A Serious Man [A]
The Hurt Locker [A-]
Mad Max 2 (AKA The Road Warrior) [C]
The Book of Eli [C-]
Elegy [B+]
Close Encounters of the Third Kind [A]

This movie, which I have only seen once before (I was much younger) was a gift for Xmas on Blu-Ray. I remembered it being slow, and John Scalzi managed to swiftly dismiss it despite including it on his list of 50 great science fiction films, so I wanted to see how it would hold up now that I am a little older. It didn't dissapoint. The film is probably one of Spielberg's best, if not the best film he's made.

I'm amazed that he lets Richard Dreyfuss leave the earth (and his family) at the end. The film wouldn't have that ending today, so I'm glad he made it when he did. It really holds up (and looks beautiful in HD).

Old January 21 2010, 06:24 AM   #129
sabina

I have seen many movies already in 2010, most of them released in 2009 . They are "avatar", "The Blind side", "Sherlock Holmes", "Twilight Saga: The moon".
Old January 21 2010, 07:08 AM   #130
Harvey
Admiral

Sherlock Holmes [B-]
Men in Black [A]
Up in the Air [A]
Star Trek: The Motion Picture [D+]
I'm Not There [A]
Beyond a Reasonable Doubt (2009) [D-]
American Violet [B ]
Inglourious Basterds [A]
Death at a Funeral [B ]
A Serious Man [A]
The Hurt Locker [A-]
Mad Max 2 (AKA The Road Warrior) [C]
The Book of Eli [C-]
Elegy [B+]
Close Encounters of the Third Kind [A]
The Invention of Lying [B-]

A mostly amusing film, which has some wonderous fun at the expense of organized religion and the Christian faith. The pacing is a bit wonky (I'd say the idea is dragged out just a tad), however, and it's too bad the Patrick Stewart narrated prologue was cut. Plenty of amusing cameos to be found.

Old January 21 2010, 11:50 PM   #131
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Movies Seen in 2010
Duplicity - C-
The Hurt Locker - A
Moon - A
The Princess and the Frog - B

Finally saw the first 2D animated Disney film in a while and liked it. It wasn't earth shattering or anything like Beauty and the Beast or The Lion King, but it was a good film with great music. I did feel though the pacing kind of slowed in the middle (When Tiana turned into a frog) but then it picked up and the ending was true to form with Disney.
Old January 22 2010, 12:50 AM   #132
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Sherlock Holmes [C]

I don't care what everyone says about this film... it's boring, boring, and... boring.
Old January 22 2010, 04:39 AM   #133
CaptainCanada
Admiral

DVD review: 3-Iron (2004)

Now this is the Ki-Duk Kim I love, the Kim of Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter...and Spring. Where there's still a bunch of weird shit, but the characters' core motivations and arc is transcendent and not bogged down in weird behaviours. And he's a master of basically silent movies; this is a romance where the male lead has no lines at all and the female lead has two, at the very end. Everybody else talks like normal around them, though.

A

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2010, 07:44 AM   #134
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Well, the girlfriend and I went to Blockbuster last night. I picked The Hurt Locker, she picked The House Bunny.

I watched my pick, we haven't watched her's yet...and, really, I don't see what the big deal was. Yeah, it was realistic enough, and all, but still...it wouldn't have been in my top ten for '09.
Old January 22 2010, 09:55 AM   #135
Hunter X
Rear Admiral

I've been catching up on my 2009 movies lately, seeing as the only new movie I saw all last year was probably Avatar. Oh, and Star Trek and The Time Traveler's Wife (which is like a cliff notes version of the book. Except without the plot and character development of cliff notes. )

Anyways, in 2010:
District 9: I actually started this on a plane on the way home for Christmas, so my viewing experience was a little disjointed to say the least. However, it was good. I don't know if I would feel the need to watch it again, but I wouldn't complain if someone else put it on. It was pretty intense, with good action and story. I liked the ending too.

The Hurt Locker: I think tomalak301 said what I thought much better than I could. It's intense, disturbing, and sticks in the brain. I couldn't get over how intense being stared at by Iraqi onlookers all the time during those bomb diffusion scenes would be. The scene where the soldier looks up to see someone videotaping them...terrifying, yet so simple.

The Princess and the Frog: What can I say, I needed something light--very light--after the last two. It was fun, but more wacky than classic, as most recent Disney flicks have been (all the way back to Hercules). I was shocked when the side character died and stayed dead, but in an impressed sort of way. And the prince character made me laugh once or twice. So it entertained and surprised me; not a bad thing.
Hunter X is offline   Reply With Quote