Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old December 29 2010, 02:42 AM   #871
Harvey
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2010

283. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows Part 1 [C-]
283. The Other Guys [B-]
284. Greenberg [B ]

HARRY POTTER 7: The reviews were less than stellar for the penultimate film of the series, but I didn’t pay much attention to them. Other films in the series have received less than terrific notices and been just as watchable as the third film, which will likely remain the best of the franchise at this point. Unfortunately, the film lived up to the lukewarm reviews. I’m sure I would have appreciated more having read the book—I stopped with the books after the third volume when I was 12 and haven’t looked back—but, wow, does this film suck all the whimsy that had been present in the previous six films.

Oh, everyone makes a token appearance to collect their check, including some new faces (like Bill Nighy) and some old who haven’t been around since the first film (like John Hurt), but none of them make an appearance of any significance. Alan Rickman, the most delightful adult actor in the series, must have all of three minutes of screen time before vanishing.

Also gone is Hogwarts, which might have a blink and you'll miss it appearance on screen, but is, for all intents and purposes, not in the film. And that's a shame, because the atmosphere created by those sets managed to carry the previous six films through even the most dreary of patches. Here it's gone, replaced (mostly) with the humdrum of the woods, which make the final budget of the film a little hard to understand. All the supporting cast of young actors are gone, too, save for a few brief and unimportant appearances.

Honestly, the film's worst sin is that it is boring. It's 45 minutes of a movie stretched into feature length, and it leads several patches to be plodding in a way the series has never been before. Unless the second part set to be released in July is bloated with story, it's hard to see Warner Bros.' decision to turn the book into a pair of movies as anything other than a cynical cash grab.

THE OTHER GUYS: It's less funny upon second-viewing, which doesn't surprise me, but it's still pretty entertaining, and downright hilarious in places (the Samuel L. Jackson/Dwayne Johnson cameos being the highlight of the film, but things like the bar montage are innovative and work just as well). I don't think I'll buy it, but I may end up seeing it again with friends and/or quoting some of at times ("aim for the bushes").

GREENBERG: I like Noah Bumbauch very much, but through most of his films I can't help but feel I'm watching the trials and tribulations of people that are so rich that they don't matter. Here, however, there's a little more than that, and also what is Ben Stiller's first performance that is not only tolerable, but brilliant (excepting, perhaps, his turn as himself on CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM). It's no surprise that Stiller and Bumbauch want to work together again soon--his outburst about the mistakes of his past which comes near the end of the movie might be the best scene he's ever done as an actor, and a one-sided phone conversation (where, amongst other things, Greenberg re-evaluates the movie WALL STREET) is almost as good. The film also features some of the most awkward, unarousing nudity and sex you'll ever see in a movie (be warned? encouraged?).

I also wonder if, after a character has an abortion and Greenberg brings her a burger, the fact that she dismisses the food and expresses a mix of pain and sleepiness, we aren't watching Jennifer Jason Leigh (who co-wrote the story and has a role) re-write the worst moment of her role in FAST TIMES... that I noted earlier this year. That's probably just me, but these things start to pop out to you when you've seen so many movies in a year.

Hopefully I'll catch TRUE GRIT before the 1st. That's about all the plans I have. I'm trying to finish off the second season of IN TREATMENT in three days, which means I'm having a television overload right now.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2010, 02:49 AM   #872
CaptainCanada
Admiral

I know some people had problems with the woods scenes, but I don't - I thought it was some of the most effective character work they've done in the series, with the main characters utterly isolated (even moreso in the film than in the novel).

I frankly don't think that DH could have been satisfactorily made into a single film, unless that film was at least four hours long.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2010, 04:59 AM   #873
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Blade Runner - Harrison Ford
Grade: B+

I hadn't seen this movie in a good 10 years. Ever since I sold my VHS tapes way back when I'd never rebought this film. Got it on Black Friday for $5 and it was like watching it all over again mostly new.

It's director Ridley Scott's preferred version with the unicorn dream sequence. I know people say that possibly Decker was an android but I don't see it. I would like to know where they'd have gone had a sequel been made.

Someone was bound to hunt them down or at least her and they'd get Decker for harboring I suppose. The standard DVD looked great so I bet the Blu-Ray looks great.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2010, 10:34 AM   #874
jessytimothy
Cadet

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows
The day after tomorrow
Old December 29 2010, 09:07 PM   #875
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

I saw True Grit. It was pretty good, whilst being consistently entertaining and darkly comedic. The film really rode on the shoulders of the actress playing Mattie Ross, and I thought she did a really excellent job. Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon and Josh Brolin (in a considerably smaller role than I was expecting) all do fantastic performances, but that's a given.

One of my few complaints was the pacing, which I thought was a tad lethargic at first. It was helped by some dark comedic bits, which knowing the Coen Brothers' litany of works was pretty expected, but I guess I felt like it took a while to get going. The previews made the film out to be some type of Western thriller or action film, but I would say the film hangs on the often amusing character interaction, and while the dialogue is clever, witty and was delivered well (in the cases where I could actually understand some of the dialogue being delivered...) I guess I was expecting more out of the first hour or so.

Things don't get interesting, at least in my opinion, until the last act, where we have some legitimate tension and some great character moments. Matt Damon, for example, did a wonderful job with a character who I thought was going to be one-dimensional but ended up being quite charming and multi-faceted in the end. Josh Brolin's role was pretty inconsequential, despite his importance to the plot, and was more of a plot device than a meaningful character. I was really surprised to see Barry Pepper as Lucky Ned. Out of all the actors in the film, he really changed his appearance the most.

I would also agree with CaptainCanada that the epilogue felt useless. This is why I don't really enjoy epilogues where we see certain characters years into the future with different actors; it ruins any emotional resonance because we've been following certain actors as those characters. The ending of the actual story felt way too abrupt, and I'm not quite sure what the epilogue added. On top of that, the ending song was just way too loud and abrasive and totally ruined any good feelings I had for the film. I mean, usually they fade-in credit songs, but this came out blaring at the end, and didn't really feel appropriate.

I'm probably giving this film a worse review than it deserves, since the acting is fantastic, the direction is superb and the film overall is fairly strong, it just wasn't the overwhelming success that some critics would suggest. It was enjoyable based on Western and Coen Brothers standards, but I think I was just expecting more out of the execution.
Old December 30 2010, 07:01 PM   #876
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I'm going to a 2pm matinee of True Grit.

Till then, the last several I saw.

Men In Black - A Black Friday acquistion for $4. I hadn't seen this in 12/13yrs and enjoyed it all over again. A worthy purchase to the collection since I sold off the ole VHS copy. Not a bad time to refailarize myself since MIB:3 is coming soon.
Grade: A

Jumper - Another Black Friday nap for $2. It's not without it's flaws but it does lay down a fairly solid groundwork for what could've been an interesting franchise. Sam Jackson is a show stealer as an overly dedicated to his cause enforcer.
Grade: B-

Interview with the Vampire - Only $3.75 at Best Buy so I couldn't pass it up. Haven't seen it since it came out and it holds up cosiderably well. Never a bad idea to have a solid vampire movie in the collection. If you haven't seen it in awhile check it back out.
Grade: A-

Brideshead Revisited - based on a recommendation here I checked it out. This was part of my Haley Atwell familarization viewing. She wears period clothing well and looks good coming out of it. Thought I was going to see more Haley than I planned on(which wouldn't have upset me in the slightest). Didn't know it was going to have Matthew Goode from Watchmen in it as well. It wasn't a bad movie but just didn't interest me for the love story of unrequited love it was telling.
Grade: B
Old December 30 2010, 08:24 PM   #877
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Interview with the Vampire - Only $3.75 at Best Buy so I couldn't pass it up. Haven't seen it since it came out and it holds up cosiderably well. Never a bad idea to have a solid vampire movie in the collection. If you haven't seen it in awhile check it back out.
Grade: A-
Just bought this yesterday. Didn't enjoy it as much as the first time I watched it. I think everyone is woefully miscast.
Old December 30 2010, 11:18 PM   #878
Sagart
Fleet Captain

Films seen for the first time in 2010 -

Where The Wild Things Are ~ B
Up in the Air ~ A
Precious ~ B
Invictus ~ C+
Inglourious Basterds ~ A
Twilight ~ C-
Law Abiding Citizen ~ D+
Paul Blart: Mall Cop ~ D-
Sherlock Holmes ~ B-
An Education ~ C+
The Blind Side ~ D-
A Serious Man ~ C
Crazy Heart ~ B+
Julie & Julia ~ B-
The Princess and the Frog ~ B-
Step Brothers ~ C
The Prophecy ~ F
Green Zone ~ C+
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus ~ C
Kick Ass ~ A
Iron Man 2 ~ C-
Alice in Wonderland ~ C-
The Losers ~ C
My Sister's Keeper ~ C
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo ~ B
Robin Hood ~ C
Whatever Works ~ D-
The A-Team ~ C
Toy Story 3 ~ A+
Inception ~ A
The Expendables ~ C-
Scott Pilgrim vs The World ~ A
Dinner for Schmucks ~ E
Winter's Bone ~ B+
The Social Network ~ A
Red ~ C
The Kids are Alright ~ C-
Machete ~ D-
Unstoppable ~ B
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallow, part 1 ~ B+
It's Complicated - B-
How to Train your Dragon - B+
Shutter Island - C+
A Prophet - B-
The Town - B
Black Swan - A

Last edited by Sagart; December 30 2010 at 11:30 PM.
Sagart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2010, 10:31 PM   #879
CaptainCanada
Admiral

90. Tangled (A-)
91. The Fighter (B+)
92. The Red Shoes (A+)
93. True Grit (A-)
94. Chicago (A+)
95. It's A Wonderful Life (A+)
96. Michael Clayton (A)
97. Fantasia (C+)
98. Long Day's Journey Into Night (B+)
99. Mean Girls (A-)
100. Munich (A)

This post brought to you by the letter 'M' (otherwise, these movies have absolutely nothing in common), achieving my goal of 100 films for the year. Both of these are rewatches - I originally saw these movies on their theatrical releases in 2004/2005, but not since.

Mean Girls I recall seeing in theatres only because the original movie we were going to (I don't remember what) was sold out, and the girls in our group outvoted the guys on the replacement - but it was quite enjoyable. It's become huge in internet culture since, generating a half-dozen major memes. Few movies have used the high school characters template so effectively. This was, of course, back when Lindsey Lohan was something other than a tabloid punchline; it's sad, because she doesn't lack for talent, and does a great job. One can't help but notice that she's surrounded by a passel of other young actresses (Rachel McAdams, Amanda Seyfried, even Lizzy Caplan) who are all doing much better than her (Lacey Chabert hasn't really had the same success as the others, but she's not a joke either). The movie was also the first real broadside from Tina Fey's burgeoning solo career as a writer/actor, which subsequently resulted in a highly acclaimed TV show (and a couple of other movies that aren't nearly as good). In terms of flaws, well, the main love interest is exceptionally bland - sort of like an early Disney prince. But whatever, it's still great.

Munich, from a year later, is Steven Spielberg's big Serious Drama for the 2000s, one of bunch of terrorism-related films produced in the years after 9/11. It remains controversial (both sides thought it was too sympathetic to the other, some people just thought it was naive; I don't know if Israeli Mossad agents would be as philosophical/troubled as these guys are, but it's a legitimate dramatic device, in my opinion). Spielberg doesn't have any real answers (who does?), and the end doesn't pretend otherwise. The film ends with Avner in exile, as it were, from Israel, though with his wife and child. Exile is a prominent theme in Jewish literature, for obvious reasons, and Spielberg uses it in a lot of different ways (as well as the related theme of family, a Spielberg staple). The film is exceptionally well-made, with a very vivid recreation of the 1970s, but one would expect the best from Spielberg. The cast is likewise exceptional, with Eric Bana and a dapper Ciaran Hinds standing out, as well as one of Geoffrey Rush's more understated recent turns. There's only one flaw in the whole thing, the final montage, which starts off okay but becomes absurdly over-the-top (Bana appears to be literally sweating buckets, and I don't know how his wife isn't screaming in pain). It almost derails the film, but a nicely understated scene between Bana and Rush rescues the finale.

- Homer Simpson
Old December 31 2010, 10:56 PM   #880
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

I ended up watching 82 films that were new to me this year.
  1. 1/1 The Blind Side (2009, Hancock) [A]
  2. 1/3 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968, Kubrick) [B]
  3. 1/3 Awake (2007, Harold) [C]
  4. 1/4 Rosemary's Baby (1968, Polanski) [A]
  5. 1/4 Up in the Air (2009, Reitman) [A]
  6. 1/4 The Lovely Bones (2009, Jackson) [B-]
  7. 1/4 The Time Traveler's Wife (2009, Schwentke) [A]
  8. 1/5 An Education (2009, Scherfig) [B]
  9. 1/5 A Perfect Getaway (2009, Twohy) [D]
  10. 1/5 Observe and Report (2009, Hill) [B]
  11. 1/6 Taking Woodstock (2009, Lee) [C]
  12. 1/6 State of Play (2009)
  13. 1/7 The Uninvited (2009)[C-]
  14. 1/8 Sorority Row (2009) [D]
  15. 1/8 Bolt (2008) [B+]
  16. 1/8 A Tale of Two Sisters (2003) [C]
  17. 1/18 A Serious Man (2009, Cohen) [B+]
  18. 1/20 Sherlock Holmes (2009) [C]
  19. 1/24 National Treasure 2: Book of Secrets (2007) [B]
  20. 1/26 Vanilla Sky [A]
  21. 1/28 Wild at Heart (1990)[D]
  22. 1/30 All About Steve (2009) [D]
  23. 2/24 MASH (1970) [C]
  24. 3/06 Married Life [A-]
  25. 3/09 The Stepfather (2009) [C]
  26. 3/11 New York, I Love You (2009) [C]
  27. 3/12 Halloween II (2009) [C+]
  28. 3/13 The Damned United (2009) [A]
  29. 3/15 The Informant (2009) [B]
  30. 3/15 New Moon (2009) [B-]
  31. 3/15 The Descent Part 2 (2009) [D]
  32. 3/23 The Messenger (2009) [B]
  33. 3/31 Black Book (2006) [A-]
  34. 4/03 The Bird With the Crystal Plumage (1970) [B]
  35. 4/10 The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe [C]
  36. 4/14 Casablanca [B]
  37. 5/01 Cabin Fever 2 [F]
  38. 5/07 Iron Man 2 (2010) [B-]
  39. 5/08 Crazy Heart (2009) [A]
  40. 5/08 The Human Centipede [D]
  41. 5/12 Kick-Ass (2010) [A+]
  42. 5/27 Daybreakers (2010) [C+]
  43. 5/27 Legion (2010) [C]
  44. 5/28 The Wolfman (2010) [F]
  45. 5/29 The Box (2010) [F]
  46. 5/29 Surrogates (2009) [B]
  47. 6/12 Shutter Island (2010) [B-]
  48. 7/06 White Ribbon (2009) [C+]
  49. 7/07 Almost Famous () [A+]
  50. 7/?? Brokeback Mountain () [B-]
  51. 8/?? The Runaways (2010) [B]
  52. 8/?? Hot Tub Time Machine (2010) [B]
  53. 8/?? Blood Diamond [A]
  54. 8/?? Hero [A]
  55. 8/22 Don McKay [B]
  56. 8/23 Death Proof [B]
  57. 8/23 Winged Creatures [B]
  58. 8/24 Knight and Day (2009) [A]
  59. 8/24 Splice (2009) [A-]
  60. 8/25 Hollow Man [B-]
  61. 8/26 Date Night (2010) [B-]
  62. 9/04 The Brothers Bloom (2009) [B]
  63. 9/06 Law Abiding Citizen (2009) [B-]
  64. 9/07 Pirate Radio (2009) [C]
  65. 9/?? My Sister's Keeper [A]
  66. 9/?? Marley & Me [B]
  67. 10/18 Three Days of the Condor [C]
  68. 10/20 Toy Story 3 [A]
  69. 10/22 Black Christmas (1974) [B-]
  70. 10/22 Ginger Snaps [C+]
  71. 10/22 A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010) [F]
  72. 10/28 Inception (2010) [A+]
  73. 10/29 Scott Pilgrim vs The World [A]
  74. 10/30 The Social Network [B-]
  75. 10/31 Saw II [C+]
  76. 11/31 Saw III [C]
  77. 11/01 Saw IV [D]
  78. 11/02 Saw VI [B-]
  79. 11/02 House of the Devil [B-]
  80. 11/23 Twilight Saga: Eclipse (2010) [F]
  81. 11/25 Before and After (1996) [C]
  82. 12/08 The Town (2010) [A]
I watched several things, including Avatar, Star Trek, Moon, American Gangster, Saw V, Shaun of the Dead, The Assassination of Jesse James, King Kong, Interview with the Vampire, Star Trek: First Contact, all the Star Wars movies, Inglourious Basterds, Alien, Halloween, etc.
Old January 1 2011, 02:19 AM   #881
Harvey
Admiral

285. A Fish Called Wanda [B+]
286. True Grit [A]

A FISH CALLED WANDA: This is almost a perfect comedy, but it loses ground due to two (relatively minor) complaints. The first is the score, which is unremarkable and so heavily reliant on synthesizers that it is unmistakably from the 80s. This is a shame, since the rest of the film is both timeless and unique. The second complaint is the ending, which goes into deliciously dark territory by killing off Kevin Kline's character (with an asphalt roller!)...only to have him suddenly alive and somehow clinging to the window of the plane as it takes off in the end. It's a weird moment of comedy because it is physically unbelievable--every other gag in the film, as far as I can remember, is completely possible.

TRUE GRIT: I didn't have a problem with the epilogue here--it seemed to work perfectly fine to me, and made sense, since we had been hearing the older character's voice over describe her younger exploits throughout. It's not the Coen brothers best film, but it's still great, and the brothers remain my favorite living American filmmakers. I don't think they've made a bad film since Intolerable Cruelty, and that was but a blip in a career otherwise filled with films that are either great or outright masterpieces. I look forward to what they'll bring in the rest of this decade.

And that's it for 2010. I didn't make my insane goal of a film a day this year, nor my revised goal of 300 films, but I'd say 286 films isn't a bad year by any means (and it's really more, since I saw CONTEMPT at least four times in a row in order to complete an assignment this quarter, but it didn't seem right to list the same title four times over).

I think I'll just grade films with whole letter grades next year (A, B, C, D, F) rather than quibbling over pluses and minuses.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2011, 02:48 AM   #882
Daneel
Rear Admiral

I've compiled a list of all the new films I saw this year (didn't include any older ones I watched for the first time).

First, in theatres:

Daybreakers - B

The Wolfman - C

Valentine’s Day C-

Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief B-

Shutter Island B+

The Ghost Writer A-

The Crazies B+

The Runaways - B

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo A-

How to Train Your Dragon A-

Clash of the Titans - C

Kick-Ass B+

Iron Man 2 - B

Sex and the City 2 C+

Splice C+

Toy Story 3 - A

Knight and Day B-

Predators - B

The Girl Who Played with Fire - B

Inception A-

Salt - B

Piranha 3-D - B

The Last Exorcism B-

Cargo - B

High School B+

The Last Lovecraft C-

Vanishing on 7th Street B+

Never Let Me Go - B

John Carpenter’s The Ward D+

Let Me In - B

The Debt A-

Henry’s Crime B+

Monsters B+

The Town B+

The Social Network - A

Red - B

Hereafter C+

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest - C

Fair Game B-

Unstoppable - B

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 - B

Black Swan A-

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader C+

On Video:

The Book of Eli - B

Legion - C

Hot Tub Time Machine - C

The Descent Part 2 B-

The Expendables - C

Hm, 48 movies... not bad. Still a few recently released films (Tron: Legacy, True Grit, The King's Speech), that I hope to see soon.
Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2011, 04:22 PM   #883
CaptainCanada
Admiral

My complete list for 2010:

1. Avatar (B)
2. Precious (A)
3. Invictus (B)
4. A Single Man (B-)
5. Crazy Heart (A-)
6. A Serious Man (A-)
7. The Last Station (A-)
8. Adventureland (B+)
9. Samaritan Girl (C-)
10. 3-Iron (A)
11. The Hurt Locker (A-)
12. Citizen Kane (A)
13. Planet Hulk (B+)
14. High Society (B-)
15. The Philadelphia Story (A-)
16. The Pianist (A-)
17. Murder By Decree (A-)
18. A Man For All Seasons (B+)
19. A Patch of Blue (B+)
20. Broadway Danny Rose (B+)
21. The Departed (A)
22. The Purple Rose of Cairo (B+)
23. Zelig (B)
24. Radio Days (B)
25. Hannah and Her Sisters (B+)
26. Gone Baby Gone (A+)
27. Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths (B+)
28. Doctor Zhivago (B)
29. A Beautiful Mind (A-)
30. Match Point (A+)
31. Scoop (C)
32. Vicky Cristina Barcelona (B+)
33. The Maltese Falcon (B+)
34. Love and Death (B-)
35. Shakespeare in Love (A+)
36. Dial M For Murder (A)
37. The Last King of Scotland (A-)
38. Annie Hall (A+)
39. Tropic Thunder (B)
40. Manhattan (B+)
41. Mighty Aphrodite (B+)
42. High Noon (B+)
43. Interiors (B)
44. Stardust Memories (B)
45. Adam's Rib (C)
46. City Lights (B+)
47. Chloe (B)
48. The Ghost Writer (B+)
49. Ran (A-)
50. Henry V (A+)
51. The Wrestler (A-)
52. Touch of Evil (A-)
53. Woman of the Year (B-)
54. Bringing Up Baby (B)
55. Kick-Ass (B+)
56. Much Ado About Nothing (B+)
57. Sophie’s Choice (B+)
58. Fiddler on the Roof (A-)
59. Carousel (C-)
60. Brief Encounter (B+)
61. Iron Man 2 (B+)
62. The Lion in Winter (A-)
63. Unforgiven (A+)
64. Harry Brown (B+)
65. Toy Story 3 (A+)
66. Letters from Iwo Jima (A)
67. Inception (A-)
68. Bullets Over Broadway (A-)
69. Scott Pilgrim Versus The World (A)
70. The American (B+)
71. The Kids Are All Right (B+)
72. The English Patient (A-)
73. The Town (B+)
74. The Social Network (A)
75. Kill Bill: Vol. 1 (B+)
76. Kill Bill: Vol. 2 (A-)
77. RED (B+)
78. Winter’s Bone (A-)
79. The Rocky Horror Picture Show (C+)
80. The Corpse Bride (B)
81. Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (B+)
82. Beauty and the Beast (A+)
83. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (B)
84. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (B)
85. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (A+)
86. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (A-)
87. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (A+)
88. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (A-)
89. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1 (A)
90. Tangled (A-)
91. The Fighter (B+)
92. The Red Shoes (A+)
93. True Grit (A-)
94. Chicago (A+)
95. It’s A Wonderful Life (A+)
96. Michael Clayton (A)
97. Fantasia (C+)
98. Long Day’s Journey Into Night (B+)
99. Mean Girls (A-)
100. Munich (A)

First viewings: 85
Rewatches: 15

Seen in theatres: 25
Seen on DVD: 75

- Homer Simpson
Old January 1 2011, 06:07 PM   #884
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

The Last Movies I saw for 2010 were:

Wizard of Oz - first rewatch in 10-12yrs, classic

Gone With the Wind - first rewatch in 15+yrs, long movie spanning about a decade. Classic but one I can wait another 15 to see.

True Grit - I fuly enjoyed this movie and also didn't find the eopilgoge to be a problem. Adult Maddie had been doing the voice over so it only made sense to see her at the conclusion.

I'm glad I ended my 2010 year with 3 good movies.
Old January 1 2011, 11:04 PM   #885
LitmusDragon
Commodore

Spent the past week with the fam in Florida and thanks to their new Roku I got caught up on a lot of old movies- most of which were pretty terrible. Suspect Zero, Don't Look Up, The Horsemen, yuck, yuck, yuck. Don't let the presence of Ben Kingsley fool you, Suspect Zero is awful. Anyway, I did see some that were pretty good too:

The Fantastic Mr. Fox - B+. The best animated hollywood film I saw this past year that wasn't Toy Story 3. Really interesting look to the animation and the voice cast was well used. Bill Murray as a badger ... I'm surprised it hadn't happened before.

The Man From Earth - C. Was pretty good until it piled one enormous conceit on top of another.
. I enjoyed seeing all of the Star Trek alum reunited and it was at least thought-provoking so it earns some bonus points. Gets a little preachy about Buddhism but hey I kind of like Buddhism. Can't fully endorse it though because of the plot twist, which pushes it from interesting speculative fiction into outright absurdity in my opinion.

The Men Who Stare At Goats - B. Lots of irony and satire and good laughs in this one. One of the strongest casts of any recent film that I can think of. Strange mish-mash of jedi-ism and new age-ism and the Iraq war and for the most part it works.

Last edited by LitmusDragon; January 1 2011 at 11:21 PM.
LitmusDragon is offline   Reply With Quote