Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old September 13 2010, 10:14 PM   #691
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2010

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I don't see many movies in the theaters anymore, but I might make an exception for LET ME IN . . . .
I'm looking forward to that movie. I loved the Swedish original and this remake actually looks pretty decent. I plan on seeing it when it hits theaters.
I saw the Swedish original and liked it as well.
I'd like to catch LET ME IN if I can. Based on the trailers it seems like its adding some small type of visual mark to it. The trash bag on the head of that one person is what I mean. That may be a one off in the film but it made me think of the burlap sack Jason Vorhees has worn at times.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2010, 01:10 AM   #692
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Burlap bag in Friday the 13th Part II was much creepier than the hockey mask, I think. Creeped me out in the 5th grade when I sneaked downstairs to watch it on Showtime in the middle of the night.
Old September 14 2010, 07:39 PM   #693
Harvey
Admiral

202. Fast Times at Ridgemont High [B-]

I've seen this movie on television again and again, but never actually sat down to watch it from beginning to end. Thanks to Netflix, I finally did, and I mostly enjoyed it. It certainly has a terrific cast that would go on to bigger and better things (including several Oscar nominees/winners). The only real misstep would be the sequence where Jennifer Jason Leigh strolls out of an abortion clinic after terminating a pregnancy and drives off with her older brother to have some fast food. Yeah, right. Still, otherwise, it entertained for 90 minutes.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2010, 07:49 PM   #694
Joel_Kirk
Commodore

I saw 'The Front' with Woody Allen; pretty good 1970s film (comedy/drama) about blacklisted actors....

Note: This was actually seen before the horrid Resident Evil film that came out recently.

Next on my list:

-The Pursuit of Happyness
-Akeelah and the Bee
-Annie Hall
-The Cider House Rules
-Zhou Yu's Train
-Munich
-Batman Under the Red Hood
Old September 14 2010, 10:36 PM   #695
stj
Rear Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
202. The only real misstep would be the sequence where Jennifer Jason Leigh strolls out of an abortion clinic after terminating a pregnancy and drives off with her older brother to have some fast food. Yeah, right.
I haven't seen the movie since it came out and it didn't impress me then. But in what way is this a misstep?
Old September 15 2010, 11:47 AM   #696
Sagart
Fleet Captain

Films seen for the first time in 2010 -

Where The Wild Things Are ~ B
Up in the Air ~ A
Precious ~ B
Invictus ~ C+
Inglourious Basterds ~ A
Twilight ~ C-
Law Abiding Citizen ~ D+
Paul Blart: Mall Cop ~ D-
Sherlock Holmes ~ B
An Education ~ C+
The Blind Side ~ D-
A Serious Man ~ C
Crazy Heart ~ B+
Julie & Julia ~ B-
The Princess and the Frog ~ B-
StepBrothers ~ B-
The Prophecy ~ F
Green Zone ~ B-
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus ~ B
Kick Ass ~ A
Iron Man 2 ~ C
Alice in Wonderland ~ C-
The Losers ~ C+
My Sister's Keeper ~ C
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo ~ B
Robin Hood ~ C+
Whatever Works ~ C-
The A-Team ~ C
Toy Story 3 ~ A+
Inception ~ A
The Expendables ~ C+
Scott Pilgrim vs The World ~ A
Old September 17 2010, 12:08 AM   #697
Daneel
Rear Admiral

Vanishing on 7th Street – An apocalyptic thriller of sorts, from The Machinist and Transsiberian director Brad Anderson. One night, the vast majority of the population simply disappears, leaving nothing behind but their clothes. The few remaining humans quickly realize that it is the darkness itself that is taking people, but the how and why remain unknown. A handful of survivors (including Hayden Christensen, Thandie Newton, and John Leguizamo), find refuge in a bar from the shadows that pursue them, but they know that they can’t stay there forever. Eventually, the bar’s generator will stop working, and then the light that protects them will be gone.

I enjoyed this one (although it did occasionally get a little tiresome). After watching Transsiberian, it was clear that Anderson knows how to create a sense of tension in a film, and he did not disappoint with this picture. There’s some good characterization here, as each survivor deals with the crisis in his or her own way. I also found it interesting that the movie never reveals exactly what it is that is happening. Is it some sort of Biblical rapture? Is it a natural phenomenon? Is it an experiment gone awry? Is it some sort of intelligence (which seems likely) trying to “reboot” the planet, so to speak?

I don’t know when it’s coming out or what sort of release it’ll get, but I’d definitely suggest catching it if you get the chance.

Never Let Me Go – A beautifully crafted film: well shot, solidly acted, and achingly sad at times... but something felt missing. I don’t know. Even though it was a rather slow picture, a few things seemed glossed over (particularly when the film shifts from the 80s to the 90s: there were a couple of things that we’re told about in narration that I think might have been better as filmed scenes, but maybe it’s just me). I was also kind of curious about what the world is like outside of the lives of the principle characters; surely the fact that
But I guess that’s not what the film is about. Despite these nits, I’d recommend the movie: it might be a little on the dull side for some, but if you can emotionally invest in these characters and their story, you should find it well worthwhile.

John Carpenter’s The Ward – John Carpenter helped to define horror films in the 70s and 80s. Movies like Halloween and The Thing are, IMO, classics, and I strongly believe that he deserves a comeback. Sadly, this middling flick isn’t it. It’s pretty much your standard “ghost seeking revenge” story, and an overly obvious one at that. There’s a few decent scares, and the 1960s psychiatric ward setting is mildly intriguing for a while, but there’s really nothing new here. Even the “twist” ending, which I’ll admit I didn’t actually see coming (though perhaps I should have), revolves around one of the hoariest and most-overused clichťs in similar genre films. Here’s hoping that Carpenter’s next vehicle is something less mundane, and that he can recapture his mojo with it.

Let Me In – I’m a bit conflicted about this. On the one hand, it is a good film, but on the other hand, it’s kind of an unnecessary one. I just couldn’t shake the feeling of dťjŗ vu while watching it. There are a few minor alterations, but for the most part, it’s almost a scene-for-scene, line-for-line recreation of the original Swedish film, Let The Right One In. While I respect writer/director Matt Reeves for not “dumbing down” the American version (i.e. making the lead characters older, sanitizing the violence), I wish he had done a few more things differently. After all, why remake a movie if you’re not going to make it your own?

But hey, if you’re going to imitate something, it may as well be something good, and as the original film was pretty damn good, so to is this new adaptation. It may be a bit too faithful a remake, but it is nevertheless an effective one, with both style and substance. Visually, it’s a great-looking film, with some nice, tense moments and impressive performances by Kodi Smit-McPhee (The Road) and Chloe Moretz (Kick-Ass) as Owen and Abby, the bullied young loner and his new neighbour, who happens to be a vampire. As in the original, their developing friendship is both endearing and disturbing, given Abby’s true nature. McPhee particularly shines when he must grapple with the knowledge that his friend –his only friend- is a creature that subsists on human blood – blood she will kill to get. Can their relationship overcome this not-so-small hurdle? Well, if you’ve seen the original, you already know the answer.

If you’re interested in seeing this one, go for it; you probably won’t be disappointed (unless the whole “too close to the original” thing bugs you more than it does me). I will say, though, that you might actually get more out of it if you haven’t seen the Swedish film – at the very least, it’ll probably seem more fresh.

Last edited by Don't Eat Yellow Snow; September 17 2010 at 07:18 AM.
Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2010, 06:45 AM   #698
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Aliens in the Attic (6)
Armored Trooper Votoms: Big Battle (7)
Armored Trooper Votoms: Roots of Ambition (8)
Armored Trooper Votoms: The Last Red Shoulder (8)
Armored Trooper Votoms: Pailsen Files: The Movie (7)
Batman: Under The Red Hood (9)
Boondock Saints (10)
Boondock Saints: All Saint's Day (9)
The Book of Eli (8)
Broken Blade (7)
Cargo (7)
Cencoroll (8)
Les Chevaliers du Ciel (8)
Clash of the Titans (2010) (8)
Crazy Heart (6)
Dante's Inferno (2010) (7)
Date Night (7)
District 9 (8)
Eden of the East: The King of Eden (8)
Eden of the East: Paradise Lost (8)
The Edge of Darkness (9)
Evangelion 2.0: You Can [Not] Advance (9)
The Expendables (9)
The Fantastic Mr. Fox (8)
Fist of the North Star (1995) (4)
G-9 (6)
Gamer (6)
Green Zone (7)
Higurashi no Naka Koroni Chikai (7)
Inception (10)
Inglorious Bastards (7)
Iron Man 2 (9)
Jonah Hex (6)
The Killers (6)
Kino's Journey: Life Goes On (7)
Kino's Journey: The Country of Disease (7)
The Last Airbender (8)
Law Abiding Citizen (9)
The Lovely Bones (6)
Lupin the 3rd: First Contact (7)
Lupin the 3rd VS Detective Konan (7)
Lupin the 3rd: The Secret of Mamo (9)
Lupin the 3rd: The Last Job
My Name is Bruce (5)
Naruto Shippuden Movie 3 (8)
Oblivion Island (6)
Oceans (Documentary/ Rating is NA)
Oldboy (9)
Pandorum (7)
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (8)
Street Fighter IV: The Ties That Bind (8)
Summer Wars (9)
Sunshine (4)
Sword For Truth (6)
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: Lagann-hen (8)
They Were 11 (9)
The Triplets of Belleville (5)
The Uninvited (7)
Walking Tall (7)
Waltz With Bashir (9)
Wicked City (8)
Old September 17 2010, 08:49 AM   #699
Harvey
Admiral

stj wrote: View Post
202. The only real misstep would be the sequence where Jennifer Jason Leigh strolls out of an abortion clinic after terminating a pregnancy and drives off with her older brother to have some fast food. Yeah, right.
I haven't seen the movie since it came out and it didn't impress me then. But in what way is this a misstep?
It's ridiculous? She strolls out of the clinic at most an hour or two after the operation (and more likely right after) acting like she had a hang nail removed. The nurse lets her go without a ride. I'm not debating the film's choice to portray Leigh's character as perfectly happy to terminate her pregnancy (she's 15 and the teenager who knocks her up neither coughs up the money for the procedure nor shows up for it), but it sure doesn't wash to have her stroll out of the clinic and get a burger.

To be honest, as to the film as a whole, it's probably more entertaining now than it was thirty years ago, considering how many (now) famous actors it has in bit parts. But, like the similar Dazed and Confused, it's simply light fare in the final analysis.

203. Star Trek III: The Search for Spock [B+]
204. Inglourious Basterds [A]
205. Primer [A]
206. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home [A-]

A handful of movies I've seen before. I'll skip the Star Trek films, which are discussed ad naseum elsewhere. Primer is terrific, if inscrutable, even after multiple viewings. I'm still not sure what happens in the last act, and the first act is filled with so much technical jargon that it's a miracle the film is so engaging. But, somehow, it is. Inglourious Basterds has me wishing Quentin Tarantino used a spell checker when coming up with the title (). It also has me wondering where Himmler is the entire film, but I suppose my WWII history isn't as sharp as it used to be.

Old September 17 2010, 10:56 PM   #700
Too Much Fun
Commodore

I wasn't a big fan of "Fast Times at Ridgemont High". I love a good teen movie, but I find that one way overrated. Sean Penn and Judge Reinhold's characters are funny, but the rest of it was just too ugly and dull. I think "Clueless", by the same director, is a much better movie. It's less serious and more shallow...but it's also much more entertaining and has better characters.

I finally got around to seeing "Avatar". Being a guy who has always valued story and characters over visual inventiveness, I expected to hate it, but I was pleasantly surprised by the first half. I found it enjoyable enough for awhile...it was one of the rare occasions when the beauty of the visuals was enough to keep me interested even if the characters and story didn't do much for me.

Once the military started shooting and bombing the shit out of Pandora, however, I got bored. It was at this point the obviousness of the cliche message and villainous characters started getting on my nerves. It ended nicely, but in between the beginning and end, there was way too much grating moralizing and stock characters.
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2010, 12:28 AM   #701
CaptainCanada
Admiral

70. The American (B+)
71. The Kids Are All Right (B+)
72. The English Patient (A-)
73. The Town (B+)

Ben Affleck initiates phase two of Operation: Relegitimize, and scores another success. I didn't think this was quite as good as Gone Baby, Gone - it's a bit more conventional than that film, about a criminal born into an organization and looking for an exit. Nevertheless, it's a strong piece of filmmaking, and should cement Affleck as a talent to watch. The main cast (Affleck, Jeremy Renner, John Hamm, Rebecca Hall, Blake Lively) are all in good form; Renner's a livewire, and this is Hamm's first really notable bigscreen role since the launch of Mad Men, so I hope for many more (here he's playing the straight-arrow guy that Don Draper resembles but isn't). Lively's work is also notable, since her work on Gossip Girl isn't exactly award-worthy - she even manages a reasonably convincing Baaahston accent, which is something that can trip up even great thespians. Some very good car chases and shootouts.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2010, 10:03 PM   #702
Harvey
Admiral

I'm curious about The Town, but I'll probably wait for DVD, or at least make it a double feature. I wasn't hugely impressed by Gone Baby Gone, which was awkwardly structured, if well acted and directed.

207. Delirious [D+]
208. Millerís Crossing [A]
209. Desperado [B+]

Delirious: I caught this attempt at comedy (directed by the late Tom Mankiewicz) via Watch Instantly, and like most of the films I've streamed on Netflix, it wasn't very good. The plot concerns a daytime soap opera writer (John Candy) who suffers an accident and wakes up on the soap opera he is the writer of as if it were reality. Candy also discovers that anything he types on his typewriter will actually occur. Itís not a bad premise, but the script fails to exploit it. Various elements of the story are better used in Tootsie (mocking the soap opera settting), Pleasantville (being trapped on a television series), and Stranger than Fiction (the manipulation of reality through writing). It all ends with some unremarkable voice-over thatís all too pat.

Millerís Crossing: The Coen brothers almost always carefully construct their dialogue, but the screenplay for this movie may be their finest work of their films that Iíve seen. Every conversation crackles with energy. Moreover, the performances of the four principles are exceptional, the cinematography (which utilizes shallow focus throughout) is breathtaking, and the music (by Coen regular Carter Burwell) perfectly captures the filmís mood. I donít know why I took so long to see this.

Desperado: Iíve seen this film (only the second theatrical feature by Robert Rodriguez) many times, but my enjoyment of it hasnít been diminished. Yes, itís both juvenile and permanently entrenched in the conventions of action movie logic (the Mariachi is never hit in a close quarters bar fight with automatic weapons, but can take out his enemies with a shot behind his back), but it never ceases to pulse with energy. In a big set-piece near the end, thereís a Mariachi who fires a seemingly endless supply of rockets from his guitar case. That describes the tone about as well as anything else I could describe. Desperado isnít a film to be taken seriously. If you donít, it would be hard not to enjoy it.

Old September 19 2010, 10:56 PM   #703
CaptainCanada
Admiral

I'm curious about The Town, but I'll probably wait for DVD, or at least make it a double feature. I wasn't hugely impressed by Gone Baby Gone, which was awkwardly structured, if well acted and directed.
If structure was your problem with GBG (which was one of my favourites of 2007), then you'd like The Town more in that respect; it has a much more basic structure.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2010, 03:55 AM   #704
stj
Rear Admiral

Miller's Crossing owes a lot of its goodness to being a knockoff of Dashiell Hammett's The Glass Key. Julian Symons was possibly right in thinking that was even better than The Maltese Falcon.

Comparing Delirious to Stranger Than Fiction, Pleasantville and Tootsie because of random elements in the construction seems a little odd. Delirious is a farce. The movie to compare it to is Soapdish. The trapped on TV element means it should be compared to that John Ritter movie about being trapped on Hell's TV (Stay Tuned?) Delirious comes up average, or above average if you like John Candy.
Old September 20 2010, 04:55 AM   #705
Harvey
Admiral

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
If structure was your problem with GBG (which was one of my favourites of 2007), then you'd like The Town more in that respect; it has a much more basic structure.
My main complaint isn't that the structure isn't "basic" enough (the film is, after all, entirely chronological in its presentation), but that the transition between the first two-thirds and the last-third of the movie is abrupt, awkward, and ultimately off-putting. I didn't dislike the movie, certainly, but I thought it showed a first-time writer/director still working out his craft. Affleck has talent, but there is plenty of room for improvement yet. Money being short, and the reviews being a little less enthusiastic, I'm in no hurry to rush out and see The Town.

stj wrote: View Post
Miller's Crossing owes a lot of its goodness to being a knockoff of Dashiell Hammett's The Glass Key. Julian Symons was possibly right in thinking that was even better than The Maltese Falcon.
I haven't read The Glass Key, though I have read The Maltese Falcon, and the stylistic influences are definitely there. But calling it a knockoff seems a little harsh, especially since the Coen brothers don't seem intent on hiding their debt to Hammett in any material I can find online.

Comparing Delirious to Stranger Than Fiction, Pleasantville and Tootsie because of random elements in the construction seems a little odd. Delirious is a farce. The movie to compare it to is Soapdish. The trapped on TV element means it should be compared to that John Ritter movie about being trapped on Hell's TV (Stay Tuned?) Delirious comes up average, or above average if you like John Candy.
I haven't seen Soapdish, but it is on Watch Instantly. I also haven't seen Stay Tuned (IMDB confirms the title) so it would be hard for me to make the comparison. Anyway, it's not on Watch Instantly, so I'll have to file away it for later.

The comparisons aren't that odd, I don't think. Let me try to explain a little further.

Tootsie is merciless in its mocking of daytime soap operas, especially in Hoffman's final monologue where he unmasks himself, but Delirious doesn't let things get so absurd. Instead of assailing the absurd conventions of the genre (twisted family trees, characters returning from the dead, complete disregard for any sensible timeline, plastic surgery to hide re-casting, whole episodes or seasons being dismissed as dreams, etc,) the film mostly misses the opportunity. Instead it focuses on the odd physical humor of Dylan Baker slowly falling apart due to poisoning or the buffoonery of another character who has two eye-patches that has little in common with the genre that should be its prime target.

Pleasantville plays with the disconnect between the lives of the trapped characters in real life and in their television-created prison. Candy is too jovial to play a character so alienated (Kevin Kline would have been a much better choice for the role). The closest the film comes is his reaction to typos in his type-written changes, and the jokes are so lame (ice cold deer instead of ice cold beer) or so briefly sustained (a high school cheerleader from his past that he wrote into the script while intoxicated shows up, but she swiftly disappears) that neither offers much.

As for Stranger than Fiction...you're right, it doesn't make for a great comparison. But it puts to more clever use the idea of a writer's words becoming concrete reality than Delirious does. For a supposed farce, it's awfully dull, both in its writing and as it is visually conceived.

210. Say Anything [B-]

Say Anything: The second teen-movie scripted by Cameron Crowe I've seen this week, it's marginally better than Fast Times, but a little too sweet for my tastes. Late in the film, the female lead discovers her father, who has been the one encouraging her to take piles of college courses to the point that nobody in her high school recognizes her and she's hardly been on a date in all that time, is a money-laundering sociopath, but not much is made of it. They have the prerequisite reconciliation without much strife. And, like her father, I tend to think that her romance with John Cusack (who has the fanciful Hollywood ability to fly off with his summer girlfriend of four months to live in London despite having no career goals, living parents to support him [he lives with his sister, a single-parent], or much of a job before the trip [we see him teaching kids kick-boxing only once]) has the longevity of about two seconds after the final shot.

Last edited by Harvey; September 20 2010 at 05:05 AM.