Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 18 2010, 08:32 PM   #631
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2010

Has anyone seen Closure with Gillian Anderson? Any good?
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2010, 09:04 PM   #632
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Movies Seen in 2010
Duplicity - C-
The Hurt Locker - A
Moon - A
The Princess and the Frog - B
Crazy Heart - B+
Julie & Julia - A-
A Serious Man - A
Fargo - A
The Blind Side - B-
The Informant! - C
The Big Lebowski - A
How to Train Your Dragon 3D - A
Iron Man 2 - C-
The Men Who Stare at Goats - D-
Toy Story 3 - A+
Knight and Day - B+Inception - A
Despicable Me - C
Hot Tub Time Machine - C

A fun movie that was a little on the stupid and very vulgar side. There were a few laughs, especially at the end.
Old August 19 2010, 05:01 AM   #633
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Updates (in bold):
Aliens in the Attic (6)
Armored Trooper Votoms: Big Battle (7)
Armored Trooper Votoms: Roots of Ambition (8)
Armored Trooper Votoms: The Last Red Shoulder (8)
Armored Trooper Votoms: Pailsen Files: The Movie (7)
Batman: Under The Red Hood (9)
Boondock Saints (10)
Boondock Saints: All Saint's Day (9)
The Book of Eli (8)
Broken Blade (7)
Cargo (7)
Cencoroll (8)
Les Chevaliers du Ciel (8)
Clash of the Titans (2010) (8)
Crazy Heart (6)
Dante's Inferno (2010) (7)
Date Night (7)
District 9 (8)
Eden of the East: The King of Eden (9)
The Edge of Darkness (9)
Evangelion 2.0: You Can [Not] Advance (9)
The Expendables (9)
The Fantastic Mr. Fox (8)
Fist of the North Star (1995) (4)
G-9 (6)
Gamer (6)
Green Zone (7)
Higurashi no Naka Koroni Chikai (7)
Inception (10)
Inglorious Bastards (7)
Iron Man 2 (9)
Jonah Hex (6)
The Killers (6)
Kino's Journey: Life Goes On (7)
Kino's Journey: The Country of Disease (7)
The Last Airbender (8)
Law Abiding Citizen (9)
The Lovely Bones (6)
Lupin the 3rd: First Contact (7)
Lupin the 3rd VS Detective Konan (7)
Lupin the 3rd: The Secret of Mamo (9)
Lupin the 3rd: The Last Job
Naruto Shippuden Movie 3 (8)
Oblivion Island (6)
Oceans (Documentary/ Rating is NA)
Oldboy (9)
Pandorum (7)
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (8)
Street Fighter IV: The Ties That Bind (8)
Summer Wars (9)
Sunshine (4)
Sword For Truth (6)
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: Lagann-hen (8)
They Were 11 (9)
The Uninvited (7)
Waltz With Bashir (9)
Wicked City (8)
Old August 21 2010, 09:30 PM   #634
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Just watched Art of the Steal, a documentary about the infamous Barnes Collection case. First half is interesting, second half bogs down in a foregone conclusion. Mainly I just wanna know: where do I buy the soundtrack!?! (Mainly Philip Glass.)
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2010, 10:31 PM   #635
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World was a lot of fun. Inventive, clever, witty, visually imaginative and consistently hilarious.
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2010, 06:05 PM   #636
LitmusDragon
Commodore

Sleepy Hollow - B+. Never seen it before, and it's true, this is one of the better Burton films. Interesting take on an oft-repeated tale. Great cast. Depp's Crane is memorable.

The Godfather, Pt. 2 - A. Maybe the second or third time I've seen this movie all the way through. This time around I got the impression that these films are about the contrast between Vito Corleone and his son Michael and the times that they'd lived in and what they were each able to do as the Godfather. One wonders if Michael's problems were self-created, or a product of his times, or maybe the result of his having been thrust into the position instead of it being something he'd built himself.

Superman - A. First time seeing this in about 10 years. Holy nostalgia, Batman. Still holds up remarkably well, particularly the origin part of the story.
Old August 24 2010, 01:35 AM   #637
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Watched three movies over the last two days... some interesting ones to say the least.

Don McKay [B] My mom picked this one out. It's about a guy who gets a letter from his dying ex-girlfriend who wants to see him... and then a whole bunch of crazy stuff happens. I think the movie could have been better though... needed just a little more work.

Death Proof [B] There's a lot of downtime in the middle of the movie, but otherwise, it's a pretty funny movie with some great performances.

Winged Creatures (aka Fragments) [B-] It's a poor man's Crash. I was expecting some big twist at the end, but it never came.
Old August 25 2010, 02:46 AM   #638
CaptainCanada
Admiral

60. Brief Encounter (B+)
61. Iron Man 2 (B+)
62. The Lion in Winter (A-)
63. Unforgiven (A+)
64. Harry Brown (B+)
65. Toy Story 3 (A+)
66. Letters from Iwo Jima (A+)
67. Inception(A-)
68. Bullets Over Broadway (A-)
69. Scott Pilgrim versus the World (A)

Between this and Kick-Ass (which wasn't in quite the same league as this film), I think it's becoming evident that wider audiences aren't nearly as interested in the more offbeat comics properties as a lot of people would wish (particularly those people who think these offbeat properties represent the saviours of the North American comics industry). Too bad, really, because this is quite an excellent film. It was just fun to go to the multiplex and see a major studio film set in Canada (even if it is Toronto), even down to the restaurant chains (though Tim's would have been more appropriate than Second Cup). Michael Cera is quite good in the lead part (he gets a lot of flak for always doing the same character, including here, but Scott is really very different from Cera's typical sort if you pay attention). The other actors are quite fun too - the film has a very well-developed supporting cast, several of whom you'd really like to see more. The villains are generally good, though they really do get rid of the three best ones first (the hilarious Bollywood guy, Chris Evans, and Brandon Routh).

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2010, 08:27 AM   #639
Daneel
Rear Admiral

I attended a few screenings at the Toronto After Dark Film Festival a week or so ago. Here's what I saw:

The Last Lovecraft - A very schlocky, very campy horror comedy. It seems to want to be one of those "so bad it's good" movies, but it doesn't quite hit the mark there. It definitely works better as a comedy than as a horror film, but even in this respect, I can't give it too many kudos. It has its moments, but I ultimately didn't find it that funny. C-

Cargo - A science-fiction film from Switzerland -- evidently, the first one the country has produced. Some of the F/X work (particularly the exterior spaceship shots) are a little shoddy, but the set design is actually pretty good, especially considering it had a budget of only $2 million (U.S.)

The story isn't wholly original (although really, what is these days?), but I found the film to be reasonably engaging, thanks partly to the emotional connection to the lead protagonist (however, I must admit the "romance" felt a little forced and unnecessary. It could have worked, but as presented, I just didn't completely buy it). B

HIGH School - A teen stoner comedy, but much better than most. I must admit, I laughed my ass off a number of times. Features Adrien Brody as the crazed, tattooed local drug-dealer Psycho Ed (an interesting, unhinged performance), and Michael Chiklis playing (effectively) against type as the school's slimy principal, the main antagonist.

The plot revolves around two high school students' plan to get the entire student body high on Ed's special blend of dope (which he has placed in a container labelled "Captain Sulu" ) after the principal announces a school-wide mandatory drug-testing, and expulsion for anyone who tests posiitve. One of these two students is the class brain, and prospective valedictorian, so after toking up for the first time the day before, he naturally frets about the results of this drug test. Thus they put their daring plan into motion, and of course, hilarity ensues.

The film is fairly witty with some good performances, but there are a few negatives. Again, I found the "romantic" bits to be half-assed and almost an afterthought, but that may be on purpose (especially since the protagonist doesn't refer to the object of his affection as "the girl I love", but rather, "the girl I think is hot" ). There were a few lucky escapes that seemed a bit too convenient, and the ending was a bit predictable (not to mention a lot of the tension and danger that had been built up seemed to deflate rather quickly). Nonetheless, I recommend the film to anyone looking for a good laugh. B+

The Last Exorcism - Opens this Friday, but I got to see it ahead of time at the Festival... producer Eli Roth was even on hand to introduce the film and hold a Q & A afterwards. I believe I actually got in a couple of promotional shots with him, but do you think I could find them online anywhere? Nooo...

Anyway, the film: it's another entry in the "found footage/faux documentary" genre. It involves a film crew following a disillusioned pastor as he attempts to prove that real demonic possession and exorcism are just myths. He receives a plea for help from a farmer who believes his daughter is possessed, and the reverend aims to show the documentarians that the girl's problems are all psychological. Of course, after he arrives at the family's farm, things start to get a bit more complicated...

I was mostly enjoying the film, until the end. Honestly, the last few minutes felt a little tacked-on, like the filmmakers weren't entirely sure how to end it (after providing the viewer with a fake-out almost-ending beforehand). I can see how the ending kind of works, thematically and for the characters, but I'm still not all that fond of it; it seemed a bit rushed and over-the-top. Still a generally solid film, though, with a number of strong performances. B-

Last edited by Don't Eat Yellow Snow; August 26 2010 at 09:08 PM.
Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2010, 06:50 PM   #640
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

58. Knight and Day (2010) [A]
59. Splice (2009) [A-]
60. Hollow Man (2000) [B]
Old August 27 2010, 12:19 AM   #641
Harvey
Admiral

I've been without internet and mostly distracted from my usual film watching schedule the past two weeks due to a big move, but I've managed to squeeze in a few films here and there...

180. Clerks II [B+]
181. The Other Guys [B+]
182. Inception [B+]
183. Working Girl [B ]
184. Grizzly Rage [F]
185. Chaplin [B ]
186. The Men Who Made the Movies: Sam Fuller [B+]
187. Moment of Impact [C-]

Clerks II: Kevin Smithís long-awaited sequel to his debut film doesnít quite have the punch of the original. By the time Smith made this follow-up, circumstances werenít so dire for the writer/director, and you can feel a little sentimentalism seeping in. That said, the filmís major set piece is a donkey show, so itís not like Smith has turned into Frank Capra. Randall still gets all the best lines. Mostly, itís a lot of fun to return to these characters after ten years, and the film acts as a fitting send-off to this group of characters.

The Other Guys: I find Will Ferrell to be hit or miss, so I was surprised that I liked this film so much. Most of the jokes are terrific, and even the action is effective. A couple of Ferrellís riffs go on for a bit long, and I didnít find the way he demeans his wife to be very funny, but overall it was a lot of fun.

Inception: Upon a second viewing, I think I missed some of the nuances the first time, both visual and aural. Iím still not sure about the mechanics of the ending where DiCaprio and Watanabe manage to escape limbo, though.

Working Girl: I like Mike Nichols, but sometimes, especially during pop-song montages, he can lay it on a little thick. Iím also not convinced by the ending, but Hollywood demands upbeat finales, so I can live with it. Harrison Ford appears awfully late to be top-billed, though.

Grizzly Rage: Apparently shown as a Sci-Fi original movie, I acquired this ďmovieĒ for my birthday as a gag. As terrible as you might expect in most respects, and in some, itís even worse. Itís too long and has too few scenes of the advertised rage to be worth watching even for laughs. The ďending,Ē if one is to generously call it that, was hilariously badóas if the filmmakers were completely out of money and just had to call it a day. Apparently the star played Tom Hanksí son in Road to Perdition a few years ago--his career has taken a nasty dive since.

Chaplin: At times, this suffers the same problem that afflicts most biopics: it feels more like a travelogue than a narrative. Famous people and events are paraded across the screen, most of their appearances are over in short order, and a greater theme or focus is at best only alluded to. At times, the film wants to be about Chaplinís politics, about Chaplinís love life, about his family relations, about his friendship with Douglas Fairbanks, and about his love for the movies. But the film can never pick one thing, so it mostly hangs the proceedings on Robert Downey, Jr.ís performance, which, luckily, is terrific. The actor so wonderfully embodies Charlie Chaplin that you forget, at times, that youíre not watching the genuine article. Kevin Kline, too, is perfectly cast as Fairbanks. He probably gets the most screen time out of any of the supporting players. Heís too old to return to the part now, which is a shame, because a movie that focused on the Chaplin/Fairbanks friendship would be terrific. With the exception of some dodgy old-age make-up (Chaplin at 80 looks like a space alien) itís a superbly executed film, and it is eminently watchable, but without a focus, it isnít the masterpiece it wants to be.

The Men Who Made the Movies: Sam Fuller: One of Richard Schickelís better documentaries, this accomplishes what any good documentary about a filmmaker should doóit made me want to see his films. Like all of Schickelís documentaries, itís entirely workmanlike, composed of an interview with the director (this one more insightful than his piece on Spielberg, for example), clips from the directorís films, and some voice over narration (by Sydney Pollack) to fill in the gaps, but the parts are interesting enough that it works. It also helps, no doubt, that I havenít seen much of Fullerís filmography, so the pieces reliance on long film clips is less annoying than usual.

Moment of Impact: This documentary aired on TNT in 1999, and exhibits some of the forms worst tendencies on television (the DVD, a gift, has been sitting on my shelf for almost six years). First, thereís the overbearing narration by Sam Watterson from a cheap, museum-like set. Itís intended to add weight to the proceedings, but the subject (six Pulitzer Prize winning photographs) needs none, and it ultimately comes off as distracting and extraneous. Second, thereís the constant throbbing of synthesized music. Instead of commenting on the action, it is simply there. I suppose it is intended to keep the audienceís attention, but it is hardly dynamic enough to do so. Finally, there are some cheap dramatic recreations, shot with an unsteady camera. For a special that is ostensibly devoted to photography it has a complete lack of faith in still images, augmenting them with the sound of camera shutters and flashes, which becomes repetitive and annoying. All of those complaints said, the form can only detract so much from the material, which itself is fascinating more often than it is not.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2010, 04:02 AM   #642
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

Date Night (2010) [B-]

Steve Carrell and Tina Fey both manage to play slightly different characters than what I'm used to, and they both have a handful of laughs, but I don't think it's anything I'd watch again anytime soon.
Old August 27 2010, 04:41 AM   #643
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

Cats and Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore. Meh... D+

I didn't expect anything going in and the movie met my expectations.
Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2010, 07:52 AM   #644
Harvey
Admiral

188. The Most Dangerous Man in America [B+]
189. The Trials of Henry Kissinger [B-]
190. Power and Terror: Noam Chomsky in our Times [D+]

The Most Dangerous Man in America: This is a film about Daniel Ellsberg, the man who leaked the so-called Pentagon Papers to the press in 1971 and quickly made himself public enemy number one of the Nixon administration. It's a terrific subject that has sadly been forgotten by many people, and it is re-told with creative economy and technical polish here. I'm reminded of two other documentaries I've seen this year, The Fog of War and You Can't Be Neutral on a Moving Train, and this film falls somewhere in between the two (and features the subjects of both films: Howard Zinn, in interview footage, and Robert S. McNamara, in archive footage). The interviews convey the correct urgency, as does the music and editing, but the reenactments and archive footage are never as poetic or unexpected as anything Errol Morris pulls off in The Fog of War. On the other hand, the filmmakers here are smart enough to let Ellsberg read his own narration, avoiding yet another gratuitous celebrity voice over. If you don't know anything about the Pentagon Papers and their revelation to the public, I won't explain much here. Go see this documentary. You won't be disappointed.

The Trials of Henry Kissinger: An interesting, if one-sided documentary, it's professorially made but takes a little too much time in the first forty minutes to state its case. There are far more damning and revelatory events in the second half than in the first, which is bogged down by a few scenes of Christopher Hitchens showboating that go nowhere (he and a crowd intend to confront Kissinger at a speaking event, but they never do). It's good, but it could be better. And it's certainly hard to comprehend Hitchens ended up supporting the Iraq War with a passion in 2003 (and beyond), but he did.

Power and Terror: Noam Chomsky in our Times: I checked with Rotten Tomatoes to see if my memory of critical praise of this documentary wasn't faulty. Alas, it wasn't. Critics seem to be in love with this film, but it seems more likely that they're in love with Chomsky's politics. Chomsky is insightful and intelligent, but he's not a particularly commanding speaker, which doesn't do this dull and lifeless film any favors. Basically, a rather aimless montage of a few speaking dates with interludes from an extended interview with the director, there's not much form here and there's certainly not much professionalism. As we wait for Chomsky to fix the microphone so he can be heard, or we wait for someone in the audience to get the microphone so they can ask a question, or we watch as a boom mic perilously drops into the shot and stays, or we squirm in our seats as the camera awkwardly and with sudden jerks attempts to frame its subject, we're ultimately left with the impression of a film that has all the budget and professionalism of public access. Despite all those faults, Chomsky manages to keep it from falling completely apart, because his depth of knowledge and analysis is so pointed and astute. But if this is the best his work can be translated to the screen, perhaps reading one of his many, many books would be a far better choice.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2010, 07:19 PM   #645
CommanderRaytas
Rear Admiral

doubleohfive wrote: View Post

The A-Team
Twilight: Eclipse
Me too, and I liked both of them. I stand by my irrational liking of Twilight despite its shortcomings (and silly elements). As for the A-Team, it was fun (as a child of the eighties, I loved the series)- also, I have a crush on Sharlto Copley, so I definitely wanted to see him on the big screen.

I haven't been to the cinema much. I saw Inception two weeks ago, and I thought it was very entertaining.

As for non-cinema first time viewings, I can remember only the ones I hated:

300- bwahahahaha. Seriously, it's so corny I couldn't stand it. Gerard Butler is bad enough, but in this case, it was the whole package *shudder*.

Inglourious Basterds- seriously, people. What a load of whaffle.

Boondock Saints two (whatever the name)- awful. The first one was great, but meh. This one is hardly worth the waste of time.

The Golden Compass- humpf.

Avatar- overrated and too in-your-face moral lesson. You got nothing on D9, bitch.

Can't think of anything else.
CommanderRaytas is offline   Reply With Quote