Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old April 7 2010, 02:33 PM   #436
Lonemagpie
Writer

Re: Movies Seen in 2010

Rocky Horror Picture Show 10/10 - an evergreen favourite...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7 2010, 08:28 PM   #437
Harvey
Admiral

64. Notes on a Scandal [A-]
65. Shutter Island [B-]
66. Gosford Park [A]
67. The Third Man [A]
68. Fantastic Planet [A]
69. Pandorum [C]
70. Trancers [D-]
71. D-Tox [F]
72. Whatever it Takes (2010) [B-]
73. Mystic River [A-]
74. 2012 [D]
75. The Fog of War [A]
76. The Octagon [F]
77. Leprechaun In The Hood [C-]
78. Ninja Assassin [D]
79. Modern Times [A]

Ninja Assassin brings in a few ultraviolent thrills, but is far too bogged down in a side story surrounding a couple of boring EUROPOL agents and a series of needless flashbacks to consistently deliver. I had low expectations, and they were met, basically.

Modern Times, on the other hand, is Chaplin at his best. Made a few years into the sound era, he was still pretty hesitant to embrace sound, and so he leaves the sound effects mostly to mechanical things and, later, the tramp's song made of gibberish. The assembly line sequences are still funny today, 70+ years later.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2010, 01:21 AM   #438
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
...all the aliens...
I'm sorry, did you say aliens? As in, alien aliens? From space?

I have The Box in my queue, and now I'm not sure if this make it sound more or less idiotic.
Well, aliens or possibly angels. I'm still not exactly sure which is more accurate. Alien angels perhaps?

And it's definitely more idiotic than you think, if it's in your queue to begin with.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8 2010, 05:30 PM   #439
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Updates:
Armored Trooper Votoms: Big Battle (7)
Armored Trooper Votoms: Roots of Ambition (8)
Armored Trooper Votoms: The Last Red Shoulder (8)
Armored Trooper Votoms: Pailsen Files (7)
Boondock Saints (10)
Boondock Saints: All Saint's Day (9)
The Book of Eli (8)
Cargo (7)
Cencoroll (8)
Les Chevaliers du Ciel (8)
Clash of the Titans (2010) (8)
District 9 (8)
Eden of the East: The King of Eden (9)
The Edge of Darkness (9)
The Fantastic Mr. Fox (8)
G-9 (6)
Gamer (6)
Green Zone (7)
Inglorious Bastards (7)
Law Abiding Citizen (9)
Lupin the 3rd VS Detective Konan (7)
Oblivion Island (6)
Oldboy (9)
Pandorum (7)
Summer Wars (10)
Sword For Truth (6)
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: Lagann-hen (8)
They Were 11 (9)
The Uninvited (7)
Old April 8 2010, 10:17 PM   #440
Harvey
Admiral

65. Shutter Island [B-]
66. Gosford Park [A]
67. The Third Man [A]
68. Fantastic Planet [A]
69. Pandorum [C]
70. Trancers [D-]
71. D-Tox [F]
73. Mystic River [A-]
74. 2012 [D]
75. The Fog of War [A]
76. The Octagon [F]
78. Ninja Assassin [D]
79. Modern Times [A]
80. Full Frontal [B-]

Soderbergh's Full Frontal is probably a better experiment than it is a work of cinema, but it's still manages to be (at times) a very engaging experiment. It helps having such a great cast (When Rainn Wilson and Terence Stamp are nearly extras you're not doing too badly), including a number of great cameos (Brad Pitt, David Fincher, and Jeff Garlin doing such a great job as Harvey Weinstein that I want to see him in the role again). And because I personally enjoy it when a filmmaker so aggressively fucks with his/her audience, the way films within the film kept piling up amused me to no end.

Old April 8 2010, 11:01 PM   #441
CaptainCanada
Admiral

51. The Wrestler (A-)

One of the really acclaimed films (and performances) of 2008, that was a period when I had almost stopped watching movies, so I finally went back to check it out. The film's by Darren Aronofsky, who previously made the interesting-if-inscrutable The Fountain. If one film came to mind while watching this, it's Clint Eastwood's Million Dollar Baby. If Million Dollar Baby was a dark take/deconstruction of Rocky, The Wrestler is a dark take/deconstruction of Rocky Balboa. In perhaps a refreshing twist, for once ignoring all medical advice turns out to not be a good idea. Rourke's performance got a ton of acclaim, and it's deserved (people love performances like this, where the character's situation so obviously mirrors the actor's, though Rourke, luckily, got the more traditional Hollywood ending).

Marisa Tomei, who's been the butt of a million "Oscar to the wrong person" jokes, is great here too; if nothing else, her nomination for this shows it wasn't a fluke. Evan Rachel Wood is good in her limited screentime (I thought the whole "she might be a lesbian" thing was odd; are roommates that unheard of?). The movie also gets a lot of mileage out of the wrestling subculture; I have not the slightest bit of interest in professional wrestling (my brother and his friends were crazy about it for a while), but it was neat to see how they go about their business.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2010, 04:53 AM   #442
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe [C]

While this movie looks and sounds absolutely spectacular, and is one of the finer Blu-Ray releases I have seen, the plot is so thin that the movie is not as enjoyable as it should be. I never felt any kind of connection with any of the characters.
Old April 9 2010, 05:23 AM   #443
CaptainCanada
Admiral

I wasn't impressed by that one. I think trying to translate C. S. Lewis' charming little fables into Tolkien-style epics was a bad tack to take with them (and they don't even do an especially good job with that; for an epic, Narnia feels about as big as a snow globe; you can't seemingly walk anywhere in a couple of hours at most). It has strong points though, particularly the two younger kids, and Tilda Swinton. Also, really fantastic creature effects.

- Homer Simpson
Old April 9 2010, 05:24 AM   #444
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I saw Lion Witch and the Wordrobe, and while I enjoyed it the first time, the more and more I thought about it, the more forgettable it became. I never even cared to see the second one even though it's consistently on Starz and Encore.
Old April 9 2010, 06:02 AM   #445
Lord Garth

Amreeka (2009)... A
Just Married (2003)... B-
2012 (2009)... B+
CSA: The Confederate States of America (2004)... A-
Mississippi Masala (1991)... A-
Old April 9 2010, 03:07 PM   #446
chrisspringob
Commodore

I saw "Kick-Ass" last night. Ridiculously fun movie. At least as fun as Matthew Vaughn's last movie, "Stardust", though very different in tone. This movie is basically "Kill Bill" meets "Spider-Man" meets "Superbad".

Apparently, there's some controversy, because some of the marketing makes it look like it's silly kiddie stuff like Spy Kids, when it's actually extremely violent, and includes scenes with people's legs being severed and the like. But I don't know how one is supposed to market a movie like this. You can't really capture the way a movie like this subverts the superhero genre in a 60 second trailer.
chrisspringob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2010, 09:46 PM   #447
Harvey
Admiral

65. Shutter Island [B-]
66. Gosford Park [A]
67. The Third Man [A]
68. Fantastic Planet [A]
69. Pandorum [C]
70. Trancers [D-]
71. D-Tox [F]
73. Mystic River [A-]
74. 2012 [D]
75. The Fog of War [A]
76. The Octagon [F]
78. Ninja Assassin [D]
79. Modern Times [A]
80. Full Frontal [B-]
81. Dazed and Confused [ B]

I'm not convinced this movie had much in terms of substance, but it was certainly enjoyable and boasts quite a soundtrack as well as a strong cast of actors who have since risen in prominence. At times, it is a total fantasy (the police aren't even a bother to anyone until the very end), but a worthwhile one.

Old April 10 2010, 02:01 AM   #448
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Movies Seen in 2010
Duplicity - C-
The Hurt Locker - A
Moon - A
The Princess and the Frog - B
Crazy Heart - B+
Julie & Julia - A-
A Serious Man - A
Fargo - A
The Blind Side - B-
The Informant! - C
The Big Lebowski - A
How to Train (Or tame ) Your Dragon 3D - A

Whenever I go see a Kids movie, I always have doubts on if I will really enjoy it, other than if it's a Pixar film. That's probably why I haven't seen movies like Ice Age or Kung-Fu Panda (But with Pablo Sandoval sweeping San Francisco the last few years I might need to see it now). I was skeptical about this one, but after hearing the reviews and critics, I decided to go see it, and to see it in 3D

Boy I'm glad I did. What a wonderful movie this was, full of fantasy and emotional moments and great scenes. Granted, this is one of those "loser becomes the hero" type movies (Is that really a spoiler for movies like these anymore?) but how we got to that point was just really well done. The animation was gorgeous, and different Dragons were creative, and just the emotion and fantastical tone of this movie was beautiful. In fact, I would say this movie upped Avatar in that the visuals were good, but so was the story. Avatar's story was not good, but back to Dragon. Really liked the characters (Even though I couldn't spot Tennant), and really liked Furguson's character. I would say this is a movie if you have kids, take them, but if you don't have kids, see it anyway. This is a movie that takes you from reality and lets you escape for a few hours. It's a fun film, and one of the best films I've seen this year.

As for the 3D aspect, this was the first time I saw any film with the 3D craze. I have to say I was a little disappointed. I feel like a lot of the visuals would have been equally beautiful in 2D and there was only one scene were the 3D really added anything. That was the scene were Astrid and Hiccup were riding Toothless (Loved that name for the dragon by the way ) for the first time and just the visuals were absolutely stunning. I actually choked up during that scene because of how beautiful everything looked. I might go see more 3D films (Like Toy Story) but I'm not sure if it's worth it.
Old April 10 2010, 06:14 AM   #449
Harvey
Admiral

65. Shutter Island [B-]
66. Gosford Park [A]
67. The Third Man [A]
68. Fantastic Planet [A]
69. Pandorum [C]
70. Trancers [D-]
71. D-Tox [F]
73. Mystic River [A-]
74. 2012 [D]
75. The Fog of War [A]
76. The Octagon [F]
78. Ninja Assassin [D]
79. Modern Times [A]
80. Full Frontal [B-]
81. Dazed and Confused [B ]
82. Sherlock Holmes [B-]

Didn't intend to see this one again so soon, but, alas, I was not in charge of the film selection this evening. Still pretty entertaining, and still pretty apocryphal. I suspect it will take me a while longer to accept this version of Sherlock Holmes, which seems intent on transforming the character into movies that could be confused as originating from a comic book franchise. On the other hand, Downey Jr. and Law are pitch perfect in their roles, and Watson is rather enjoyably not depicted as an old fool in this incarnation.

Old April 10 2010, 04:54 PM   #450
CaptainCanada
Admiral

52. Touch of Evil (A-)

I keep wanting to write that as "A Touch of Evil" or "The Touch of Evil"; the title sounds too short, for whatever reason. This 1958 film was Orson Welles' last studio project, after which he had burned just about every bridge out there; poor guy. This is one of the last of the major black-and-white film noirs, and it's one of the best that I've seen; too often I find that "classic" noir is constrained by the production code of the era, which required keeping things cleaner than the story really should be. Touch of Evil has the appropriate level of seediness. It suffers a bit from trying to pass off Charlton Heston as a Mexican, which just doesn't work at all (Welles' character notes at one point that he doesn't sound Mexican) - it's otherwise a credible performance from Heston as the straight-arrow cop. Welles steals the show as the villain, much as he did in The Third Man; he's by now dangerously huge, and he shoots himself in incredibly unflattering ways (though the constant emphasis on his portliness makes the fat guy-on-fat guy murder scene kind of comic). Janet Leigh, who has really terrible luck picking out motels, is good as the wife, who straddles an odd line between being a hard-nosed woman and a damsel in distress. Much as with Welles' other films, the camera work is great, and considerably livens up the film. The one real negative is the incredibly annoying comic relief desk clerk, who seems to have wandered in from a completely different movie; every scene with him takes me out of it.

- Homer Simpson