RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,845
Posts: 5,327,781
Members: 24,551
Currently online: 693
Newest member: Vargr1

TrekToday headlines

Cubify Star Trek 3DMe Mini Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 11

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 5 2010, 06:16 PM   #1
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral
 
Captain Craig's Avatar
 
Location: Nashville,TN
Bond 23 on hold due to MGM sale

With the impeding sale of MGM this was to be expected.

Bond 23 on hold
Unsurprisingly it seems that due to issues with MGM Studios' impending sale, production on the 23rd James Bond film has been put on hold reports MI6.
Producer Michael G. Wilson tells Total Film Magazine that "our timeline's a little up in the air what with the situation at MGM, so we have to be flexible. We just don't know enough about the situation to comment, but we know it's uncertain."
The news comes not long after comments by writer Peter Morgan, who is working on the film's script, indicated that a delay was inevitable. MGM expects the first takeover bids to be submitted within the next few weeks.
The concern here is a repetition of the legal mess back in 1989 which ended up putting the franchise on ice for six years before the Pierce Brosnan-led "Goldeneye" in 1995 revived the series both critically and commercially.
Or it might be a blessing in disguise(re: bolded text) if your like me and not overly impressed with the Daniel Craig outings as Bond. Craig is a great actor, he's just not Bond and frankly the Bond movies haven't been Bond either, just Bourne-esque.

If it takes a few years to get the real cinematic Bond back then so be it I say.
__________________
"Picard never hit me." Q-Less(DS9)
"Freedom is the Right of All Sentient Beings" Optimus Prime
Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2010, 06:18 PM   #2
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Bond 23 on hold due to MGM sale

Except that won't happen. They're happy with Craig as Bond, as well they should be - most of the pre-Craig Bond movies produced since the early 1970s simply sucked.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2010, 06:23 PM   #3
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral
 
Professor Zoom's Avatar
 
Location: Idealistic
Re: Bond 23 on hold due to MGM sale

Dennis wrote: View Post
Except that won't happen. They're happy with Craig as Bond, as well they should be - most of the pre-Craig Bond movies produced since the early 1970s simply sucked.

For the most part I agree.

I'm very happy with Craig, I thought Casino Royale was great, Solace, however, was a little slow for me and not as compelling.

That said, I like this new version of Bond.
__________________
Batman does not eat nachos.
Professor Zoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2010, 06:23 PM   #4
John Picard
Vice Admiral
 
John Picard's Avatar
 
Location: Waiting for Dorian Thompson to invite me to lunch
Re: Bond 23 on hold due to MGM sale

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
With the impeding sale of MGM this was to be expected.

Bond 23 on hold
Unsurprisingly it seems that due to issues with MGM Studios' impending sale, production on the 23rd James Bond film has been put on hold reports MI6.
Producer Michael G. Wilson tells Total Film Magazine that "our timeline's a little up in the air what with the situation at MGM, so we have to be flexible. We just don't know enough about the situation to comment, but we know it's uncertain."
The news comes not long after comments by writer Peter Morgan, who is working on the film's script, indicated that a delay was inevitable. MGM expects the first takeover bids to be submitted within the next few weeks.
The concern here is a repetition of the legal mess back in 1989 which ended up putting the franchise on ice for six years before the Pierce Brosnan-led "Goldeneye" in 1995 revived the series both critically and commercially.
Or it might be a blessing in disguise(re: bolded text) if your like me and not overly impressed with the Daniel Craig outings as Bond. Craig is a great actor, he's just not Bond and frankly the Bond movies haven't been Bond either, just Bourne-esque.

If it takes a few years to get the real cinematic Bond back then so be it I say.
WRONG. Read the books. The James bond from Roger Moore and onward was not the Bond of the books. Go back and read the original Casino Royale and you'll see. Bond became a complete farce with the stupid one-liners and was overladen with gadgets.

If anything, Bourne copied Bond, and Craig is fantastic, being Bond as Bond was in the books.
__________________
Don't like my posts? Fill out a report.
Psssstttt - Dorian, my location.
John Picard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2010, 06:23 PM   #5
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral
 
JacksonArcher's Avatar
 
Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
Re: Bond 23 on hold due to MGM sale

This information isn't really new. Like the article mentions, Peter Morgan basically said the same thing weeks ago. I really doubt that this delay (which is basically just the studio getting sold -- and not the rights issues that the franchise dealt with all those years ago) will result in a new Bond and a new creative direction. Craig is contracted for at least four or five films and the producers have issued every intent on continuing with Craig as Bond. Quantum of Solace might have had mixed reactions critically, but it was a financial success so I really don't see how this means we might see a change of pace.
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2010, 06:25 PM   #6
Pingfah
Admiral
 
Pingfah's Avatar
 
Location: Cornwall, UK
Re: Bond 23 on hold due to MGM sale

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post

I'm very happy with Craig, I thought Casino Royale was great, Solace, however, was a little slow for me and not as compelling.
I seem to remember it being one long action scene, I didn't find it slow. But I also didn't find it compelling.
__________________
So it goes.
Pingfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2010, 06:26 PM   #7
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral
 
Rush Limborg's Avatar
 
Location: The EIB Network
Re: Bond 23 on hold due to MGM sale

Agreed. I like Craig's Bond--and we could see in Casino and Quantum that he is slowly-but-surely growing into the "sophisticated" gentleman-spy we know and love....

It'll take a while, though.

I'm glad they're working on a script. Looking forward to it, when it comes out.
__________________
"I have been wounded but not yet slain. I shall lie here and bleed awhile. Then I shall rise and fight again."

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2010, 06:28 PM   #8
Hermiod
Admiral
 
Hermiod's Avatar
 
Re: Bond 23 on hold due to MGM sale

Both Craig movies have been pretty bad so far. Casino Royale because, for some reason someone inserted an entire reel from a different movie - some sort of period drama about some bloke in a wheelchair.

Quantum of Solace because it's just a series of nonsensical explosions.

Hopefully a delay will mean that they can rethink who James Bond is supposed to be and stop rejecting the things that made the early movies so popular.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2010, 06:33 PM   #9
Aragorn
Admiral
 
Aragorn's Avatar
 
Re: Bond 23 on hold due to MGM sale

If enough time passes between movies, Craig might bail.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2010, 06:36 PM   #10
Hermiod
Admiral
 
Hermiod's Avatar
 
Re: Bond 23 on hold due to MGM sale

Aragorn wrote: View Post
If enough time passes between movies, Craig might bail.
While I'm not going to lay the blame for my dislike of the last two movies at Craig's door, that might not be such a bad thing.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2010, 06:37 PM   #11
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral
 
JacksonArcher's Avatar
 
Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
Re: Bond 23 on hold due to MGM sale

Aragorn wrote: View Post
If enough time passes between movies, Craig might bail.
I doubt that's going to happen. If this sale takes anywhere longer than a year or so, you might have a case.
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2010, 06:47 PM   #12
John Picard
Vice Admiral
 
John Picard's Avatar
 
Location: Waiting for Dorian Thompson to invite me to lunch
Re: Bond 23 on hold due to MGM sale

Hermiod wrote: View Post
Both Craig movies have been pretty bad so far. Casino Royale because, for some reason someone inserted an entire reel from a different movie - some sort of period drama about some bloke in a wheelchair.
Yet another who hasn't read the original story
__________________
Don't like my posts? Fill out a report.
Psssstttt - Dorian, my location.
John Picard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2010, 06:52 PM   #13
Kegg
Rear Admiral
 
Kegg's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland.
Re: Bond 23 on hold due to MGM sale

I disagree with Craig, Craig is great.

...why am I the first person to make this all too obvious quip?

Anyway, Casino Royale is the best Bond movie I've seen, easily. It's just a lot of cool fun and panache on a level none of the other flicks really grabbed me, but then I was always a casual fan at best. Quantum of Solace was a rather forgettable misfire, though. Here's hoping movie three finds its legs, and keeps Craig around for that matter.
__________________
'Spock is always right, even when he's wrong. It's the tone of voice, the supernatural reasonability; this is not a man like us; this is a god.'
- Philip K. Dick
Kegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2010, 06:52 PM   #14
Hermiod
Admiral
 
Hermiod's Avatar
 
Re: Bond 23 on hold due to MGM sale

John Picard wrote: View Post
Hermiod wrote: View Post
Both Craig movies have been pretty bad so far. Casino Royale because, for some reason someone inserted an entire reel from a different movie - some sort of period drama about some bloke in a wheelchair.
Yet another who hasn't read the original story
I don't give a flying frak about the original story. Books are not movies and movies are not books. A story that works well on the page does not necessarily work well on the big screen.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2010, 06:56 PM   #15
sidious618
Admiral
 
sidious618's Avatar
 
Location: New York, US
Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: Bond 23 on hold due to MGM sale

Craig will stay. He's been the best recieved Bond since Connery critics wise and his performance is always praised. Sorry, this won't be causing anyone to rethink the franchise.
__________________
We've met before, haven't we?
sidious618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.