RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,725
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 882
Newest member: DeimosAnimus

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old December 31 2009, 07:19 PM   #1
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.
No Majel Tribute??

Just got the BR version of the movie and I am a little irked by the fact that there was no mention of Majel Barrett..

I found this odd, as the last thing she did before she died was the computer voice for the nuEnterprise.

Anyone know anything about this??

Was there some kind of agreement or some kind of falling out??

Inquiring minds want to know!!
number6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2009, 07:25 PM   #2
Yeoman Randi
Vice Admiral

Re: No Majel Tribute??

Wow...good question!
Aside from the thanks at the end of the movie to Gene and Majel that's it! Don't know if there was a specific reason for it....and i hadn't really thought about it....until now. I guess if anyone had thought about it, it might have slowed down the release of the BR/DVD. But i'm thinking no one really even thought about it.

Anyone here in the know who has any other information?
Yeoman Randi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2009, 08:46 PM   #3
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

These DVD special features are done way ahead of time. I guess they just didn't have time.
Old January 1 2010, 04:44 AM   #4
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

^True. Many of those features were done during the filming of the movie. At that time Majel was still with us.
The dedication at the end was a tribute to her as well as GR, while she was still alive.
Old January 1 2010, 06:34 AM   #5
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

It occurs to me that it was only a few days after Majel's death that Abrams announced that the film itself was almost completely finished ("We're just making final tweaks to the movie -- we should be totally locked next week") and would be sealed until the release date; the addition to the credits would probably have to have been made at that time.

See also:

http://www.trektoday.com/news/231208_01.shtml
http://trekmovie.com/2008/12/22/a-ho...rom-jj-abrams/

Would work on the extras have continued beyond that point or would they have been already nailed down, as well? I don't really know how that works.
Old January 1 2010, 01:53 PM   #6
Jeyl
Commodore

If you listen to the Star Trek: First Contact commentary track with Damon Lindelof, he actually starts talking about Majel's contribution to the new movie, but stops himself by stating "I'll save that as a bonus feature for the new film". Guess he forgot as well.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2010, 08:35 PM   #7
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

^ Or, perhaps, there was some other consideration involved which ultimately led them to decide not to include it. Plans change, in other words.

Do you know when that ST:FC commentary track was recorded?