RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,332
Posts: 5,353,289
Members: 24,619
Currently online: 678
Newest member: nmatos2005

TrekToday headlines

Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

True Trek History To Be Penned
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 31 2009, 12:09 AM   #1
RobertScorpio
Pariah
 
Location: San Diego
COMIC BOOKS future?

In another thread started, we are talking about how cool these hand held "e books" are...i have what they call a SONY READER, but I guess there are others too...

Why don't the COMIC BOOK companies get their buts out of the sand and do this too..and i dont mean online, I mean stuff you can down load and read where ever you go? Comic books go for $3 or more, where i live, and i would love the chance to buy them, store them on my hard drive, and read them when i want to...

As for older stuff? Somehow get that stuff transfered into a ADOBE document and sell it on the web. I would pay, hmmmmm, i would pay $150 for the entire original JLA run from the early 1960s to the mid 1980s.

Or...is Scorpio too late on this one..are they already doing this???

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2009, 12:50 AM   #2
TemporalFlux
Commodore
 
TemporalFlux's Avatar
 
Location: The End of Time
Re: COMIC BOOKS future?

Digital is the only future comics has; the industry has just been extremely slow in realizing this. The argument is that they are waiting on the right technology (and that next year's rumored magazine size Apple tablet may be the answer); but I believe it a poor excuse for the slow pace.

There are two key things to make people want to digital comics - ownership and price. As you stated, people need to be purchasing the file and not just internet access to the file. This is where Marvel made their mistake. I'm not paying a subscription fee for something I can only read when I happen to have internet access.

On price, my level is 99 cents per digital comic. As small as the difference may sound, I'm not paying 2 bucks for a digital comic; I don't even feel attracted to paying $1.25. If they make it 99 cents, I think you would see the public more accepting; dropping five bucks for 110 pages of content sounds like a good deal in an age where you can drop 15 or 20 bucks for hours of enjoyment on a video game.

Will the comics industry do it? I'm not sure they're smart enough. They've been cannabilizing their readership for decades by raising prices to make up for lost consumers; I'm not sure they even remember how to honestly draw in new readers.
TemporalFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2009, 01:55 AM   #3
byron lomax
Commander
 
byron lomax's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: COMIC BOOKS future?

I really DO hope DC and Marvel get off their backsides and get their comics transferred to digital. There is so much great material that can still only be found in back issue bins and eBay that these companies really should be paying more respect to, especially from the "Bronze" and "Copper" ages which are remarkably under-represented in reprints and collections.

Additionally, there's a huge number of people who have next to no access to comics proper, besides trades in the local bookshop. Most cities in my country probably don't have a big enough fanbase to support even one successful comic shop, so there's very few around. Digital is the obvious way to make comics more accessible.
byron lomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2009, 02:12 AM   #4
RobertScorpio
Pariah
 
Location: San Diego
Re: COMIC BOOKS future?

byron lomax wrote: View Post
I really DO hope DC and Marvel get off their backsides and get their comics transferred to digital. There is so much great material that can still only be found in back issue bins and eBay that these companies really should be paying more respect to, especially from the "Bronze" and "Copper" ages which are remarkably under-represented in reprints and collections.

Additionally, there's a huge number of people who have next to no access to comics proper, besides trades in the local bookshop. Most cities in my country probably don't have a big enough fanbase to support even one successful comic shop, so there's very few around. Digital is the obvious way to make comics more accessible.
I agree with you so much...Most of my comics come from the 70s and I would love to get digital versions. Then again, maybe not..I'D SPEND ALL MY MONEY on them...LOL..

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2009, 02:43 AM   #5
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral
 
DarthPipes's Avatar
 
Re: COMIC BOOKS future?

The hell with ebooks. I say people need to get the hell out of their house, buy a book, and read it.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2009, 03:27 AM   #6
Lookingglassman
Admiral
 
Lookingglassman's Avatar
 
Location: America
Re: COMIC BOOKS future?

I wish they would start making war comics again. I grew up on GI Combat and SGT Rock and The Unknown Soldier.
Lookingglassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2009, 08:17 AM   #7
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral
 
A beaker full of death's Avatar
 
Re: COMIC BOOKS future?

byron lomax wrote: View Post
I really DO hope DC and Marvel get off their backsides and get their comics transferred to digital.
Balls.
A comic page is in itself a composition. Though viewed frame by frame, it is intended to be viewed in its entirety for the overall experience.

For instance, here is a rough of a page I once did. I've highlighted some of the composition lines to make the point.

A beaker full of death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2009, 01:32 PM   #8
byron lomax
Commander
 
byron lomax's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: COMIC BOOKS future?

I don't think digital comics would be quite the same as a real comic, but I still stand by my original comments. It's the best way to go to make a large number of material accessible to the largest number of people - at least in the near-future.
byron lomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2009, 03:18 PM   #9
RobertScorpio
Pariah
 
Location: San Diego
Re: COMIC BOOKS future?

byron lomax wrote: View Post
I don't think digital comics would be quite the same as a real comic, but I still stand by my original comments. It's the best way to go to make a large number of material accessible to the largest number of people - at least in the near-future.
exactly...my days of collecting comics, for value, has long passed..I just want to read them now...

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2009, 03:48 PM   #10
TheBrew
Vice Admiral
 
TheBrew's Avatar
 
Location: Fox Lady
Re: COMIC BOOKS future?

I would not mind buying my monthlies digitally and getting physical trades.
__________________
Sing glorious, victorious,
One keg of beer for the four of us.
Sing glory be to God that there are no more of us,
For one of us could drink it all alone. Damn near.
TheBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2009, 03:55 PM   #11
MNM
Captain
 
Re: COMIC BOOKS future?

TemporalFlux wrote: View Post
Digital is the only future comics has;
I disagree entirely, and think that focusing on trying to put comics in a digital realm, one they are not suited for, is a task that is diverting them from fixing the very real problems they have, and that is physical distribution and price. Put them readily available and priced at a decent selling point and they will sell big numbers.
MNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2009, 04:13 PM   #12
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef
 
Robert Maxwell's Avatar
 
Location: Right behind you!
View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: COMIC BOOKS future?

I don't think comics necessarily need to go digital. Regular books haven't been replaced by ebooks yet, though they may well be relegated to niche status in the coming decades.

Comics are already a niche, and they either need to break out of it or perish. They keep rebooting and retooling classic characters, trying to draw a new audience, but it almost never works. It seems to me the critical acclaim (and thus good sellers) goes to new, original series, especially those with a limited run. In fact, the very concept of serialized comic books that run for decades on end may have outlived its usefulness. It's still seen as a barrier by many people.

I don't know how they can adequately address the distribution and pricing problems, though. They would have to essentially abandon the entire concept of comics as collectibles, and start putting them on newsprint again, knowing the physical quality will suffer. I do know that since I was reading comics in the '90's, prices were hiked several times and it was always attributed to rising paper costs. Marvel in particular switched from a glossy paper to a much thinner semi-gloss format to save money. But there's only so far you can go with that.
__________________
"Holy shit! It's Beef Supreme!"
The Journeyman - Buy it now! Maybe?
My world simulation project!
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2009, 05:09 PM   #13
RobertScorpio
Pariah
 
Location: San Diego
Re: COMIC BOOKS future?

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
I don't think comics necessarily need to go digital. Regular books haven't been replaced by ebooks yet, though they may well be relegated to niche status in the coming decades.

Comics are already a niche, and they either need to break out of it or perish. They keep rebooting and retooling classic characters, trying to draw a new audience, but it almost never works. It seems to me the critical acclaim (and thus good sellers) goes to new, original series, especially those with a limited run. In fact, the very concept of serialized comic books that run for decades on end may have outlived its usefulness. It's still seen as a barrier by many people.

I don't know how they can adequately address the distribution and pricing problems, though. They would have to essentially abandon the entire concept of comics as collectibles, and start putting them on newsprint again, knowing the physical quality will suffer. I do know that since I was reading comics in the '90's, prices were hiked several times and it was always attributed to rising paper costs. Marvel in particular switched from a glossy paper to a much thinner semi-gloss format to save money. But there's only so far you can go with that.
I actually agree with you. I would not but any new comics, with the exception of the JSA. But I would buy the comics of my youth because that was the time I thought comics, both DC and Marvel, were at their best...

I think there is a big market in that era because BABY BOOMERS are very nostalgic..and 1960s-70s comics, E-book versions, I think would sell..

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2009, 10:47 PM   #14
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral
 
Out Of My Vulcan Mind's Avatar
 
Location: Wherever you go, there you are.
Re: COMIC BOOKS future?

A beaker full of death wrote: View Post
byron lomax wrote: View Post
I really DO hope DC and Marvel get off their backsides and get their comics transferred to digital.
Balls.
A comic page is in itself a composition. Though viewed frame by frame, it is intended to be viewed in its entirety for the overall experience.
Digital comics don't have to discard traditional page composition. Once there's a full color e-reader with a decent screen size the device will be able to display a full comic book page in the same dimensions, or greater, than a standard comic. For that matter, a widescreen monitor that can swivel can currently display digital comics with each full page displayed.

Digital comics can and should play a significant role in the future of the medium. That doesn't mean it's an either/or proposition. Just as physical books and e-books co-exist, so too will physical comics and digital comics. But the potential for a lower price point and ease of distribution offered by digital comics means that they could be an instrument to substantially increase comics readership.
__________________
"I'll see you in another life, brother."
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2010, 10:42 AM   #15
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain
 
Nick Ryder's Avatar
 
Location: Milwaukee, WI Da Brew City
Re: COMIC BOOKS future?

Honestly I think the big 2 need to go the way of Magna, where they sell the trades nearly everywhere and the monthly floppies at the comic shops. I think they could easily make more profit by selling 500,000 units for like $14.99 than they could 10,000 at 3.99 - especially when nearly every store with a decent book section could carry the monthly or bi-monthly adventures of nearly every marvel character. I mean how much easier would Secret Invasion or Civil War have been to follow if all that month's tie ins were in one single volume? Even easier yet if you could simply download the comics to your PC or an e-reader.

Once e-readers drop to the $49.99 level for a decent book sized unit, will be the day that Marvel and DC need to start making e-reader versions stat. And not 5 months later either!
__________________
"Here you are in the club with your bottle full of Bud, you got grillz you got bling, but playa you don't know a thing..." Alice Cooper - Disco Bloodbath Boogie Fever
Nick Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.