MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Closed Thread

Old January 17 2010, 04:17 PM   #166
Ethan_Hunt_IMF
Lieutenant

Re: When Will White People Stop Making Movies Like "Avatar"?

white people can be a waste, that for sure
Old January 17 2010, 04:19 PM   #167
Ethan_Hunt_IMF
Lieutenant

Ethan_Hunt_IMF wrote: View Post
white people can be a waste, that for sure
BUT the most human being are a waste too.
Old January 17 2010, 05:18 PM   #168
FordSVT
Vice Admiral

^What the fuck?
Old January 17 2010, 06:01 PM   #169
The Comedian
Captain

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
The Comedian wrote: View Post
Good wrote: View Post
No, but you (and I) benefit from a society built on a lot of bad actions by our ancestors. Personally, that means that I owe it to the people we crapped on to make the whole world a better place.
Who do we owe, and what do we owe them?
I think he covered it:

the people we crapped on
to make the whole world a better place
I haven't crapped on anyone.

Not that I recall. If I have I was drunk.
Old January 17 2010, 07:14 PM   #170
Teelie
Vice Admiral

12 pages of white people suck essentially I take it? So it's all about making people feel guilty for being born a certain race which has absolutely no right being acceptable these days, or rather shouldn't. No doubt that's going to be ignored in favor of the constant repetition of "you/we" owe" it to those who were oppressed. So my question is, how long do we have to keep paying for the literal sins of our fathers?

Do we switch sides in a few centuries and the white people become the minority who are oppressed and denied rights or do we stop acting like it's only fair to repay in kind and start treating everyone fairly?
Old January 17 2010, 07:21 PM   #171
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Teelie wrote: View Post
So my question is, how long do we have to keep paying for the literal sins of our fathers?
For as long as we benefit from them. I recall seeing a figure that, at the current rate of change, there will no longer be a racial economic disparity in America in six hundred years, so it'll probably be a while.
Old January 17 2010, 07:30 PM   #172
Teelie
Vice Admiral

That sounds rather pessimistic and anti-progressive. 600 years to pay for what was done in slightly more than 200? And what about Europe's role? It's not like the US just came along and invented this. Or other countries that have oppressed non-natives?
Old January 17 2010, 07:50 PM   #173
Lt. Trull
Fleet Captain

sounds like fantasy cuz the study i saw said that whites will be the minority in america by 2050...
Old January 17 2010, 07:59 PM   #174
Nowhere Man
Commodore

So my question is, how long do we have to keep paying for the literal sins of our fathers?

As long as there is racism, we must constantly remind each generation why it's wrong or we are doomed to repeat the past. Last generation(my generation ) it was Dances with Wolves, before that it was something else. Yes, I didn't personally owne slaves or prevent another race from going to school, but my Country did and that's why I feel guilty. Maybe it's just me, but I don't just see my self as an idividual who just happened to be born in the US. as a white guy. I see my self as an individual who is also a citizen in this country and my country did and still does horrible things to other people or peoples. If I was in the pasenger seat of a car and the driver wrecks and kills someone, I would feel guilty because I would feel like I should have died or I might have done something to distract the driver,or I could have prevented it somehow. If I was taking a test in school and I passed because the teacher was friends with my father groing up, I would feel guilty because I know it's wrong and I didn't earn it. Niether one of those scenerios are my fault, but I still would feel guilty because of the actions of others. That is how I look at the sins of the past, I'm not responsible for what happened, but I feel bad because my country did that. It's up to us to promote equality for all and not just sit on the sidelines and say " It wasen't me ", if we do that then nothing will change. The reason white people still make movies like Avatar is because it's still relevant, because people like Harry Ried still think it's ok to use Negro in a sentance and Bill Clinton still thinks Barack Obama should have been serving coffee instead of running the country. It's because some people voted for Obama because he is black and some voted agianst him for the same reason.Because we still have people walking around in white sheets and hoods yelling " White Power!" That's why. I'm not trying to bring up politic, i'm just saying judge a person by merits , not color( which i'm sure all of you do in this thread) If you don't feel guilty then fine, but I do, not because i'm racist, but because I just do. It's not logical, but I gave my explanation except it or not.
Old January 17 2010, 07:59 PM   #175
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post

Who do we owe, and what do we owe them?
I think he covered it:

to make the whole world a better place
I haven't crapped on anyone.

Not that I recall. If I have I was drunk.
"We" meaning our society and culture.
Old January 17 2010, 08:08 PM   #176
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
We are not responsible for the crimes of our ancestors. If somebody's born into a rich family, would you force them to surrender their wealth to the government?
Ah, but whose wealth is it, really? Age-old customs hold that wealth is rightfully inherited, but one could make just as strong a moral argument that society owns wealth, and that when the original owner of that wealth perishes, the remainder should revert to the society that permitted its gain. Hence estate taxes.

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Now of course we should *always* work to make the world a better place - nobody's saying we shouldn't. But *all* people should do that, regardless of race. It's not a special obligation for 'whitey' to do it.
With great economic, political and military power comes great responsibility. American citizens have a greater obligation to do good that a Sudanese family in a refugee camp, for instance.

As to the OP question, I think it's important to remember that Cameron grew up in the comparatively racist 1950s, and probably was exposed to lots of cowboys vs. Indians stuff where the natives were portrayed as vicious savages. And just as adults of the time made that entertainment, he's making entertainment for young people that reflect his beliefs.

So, When Will White People Stop Making Movies Like "Avatar"? Maybe when no filmmakers can remember a time when oppressing indigenous cultures was presented a a noble political imperative.
Old January 17 2010, 08:42 PM   #177
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Given the BO totals, I think we can safely say that the answer to this question is: not in our lifetimes, that's for frakkin sure.

The question now, is how many Avatar sequels and copycat movies will we be treated to in the coming years? Better get used to Magic Whitey Saves the Noble Savages because if there's one thing Hollywood will latch onto like a starving lamprey, it's a formula that works.
Old January 17 2010, 09:56 PM   #178
Hyperspace05
Commodore

Well there is the John Carter of mars, which has started filming now. (the story definitely inspired Cameron as well)

And that is probably the original "whitey saves aliens" story.

But hey... Nothing stops Spike Lee from directing his own version....
Old January 17 2010, 10:17 PM   #179
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Hyperspace05 wrote: View Post
Well there is the John Carter of mars, which has started filming now. (the story definitely inspired Cameron as well)

And that is probably the original "whitey saves aliens" story.

But hey... Nothing stops Spike Lee from directing his own version....
For Spike, I was thinking, Carson of Venus? Pellucidar? And then it hit me...

Tarzan.

Which does the Whitey Saves the Noble Savage story one better. The white and black characters both oppress the noble animals. Tarzan defends the animal kingdom against evil homo sapiens! Now there's a story we can all get behind.
Old January 17 2010, 11:50 PM   #180
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
The question now, is how many Avatar sequels
I believe the trilogy idea has been aired. So we can expect at least two, I guess.
and copycat movies
Comparisons to Avatar and Sam Raimi's Warcraft will be inevitable, unless he completely screws up the movie. I have difficulty imagining the film being achieved without the Avatar tech, actually.

And I say it's a matter of time before some poor sap remakes Fantastic Planet now - weird planet, giant blue skinned humans, what could go wrong? (Everything.)

And, of course, there's a Dune movie in the works. First Star Wars stole from Dune and we got a Dune movie, and now Avatar stole from Dune and once more we must return to the Herbertian well.

Of those only Dune can be put in the 'mighty white guy saves people' category, though the Warcraft movie could easily use that as a plot point (how about a human saves the night elves from Orcs? Crap this thing writes itself) and the middle suggestion should not be taken seriously.
Closed Thread