Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old December 25 2009, 03:27 AM   #16
Nardpuncher
Rear Admiral

Re: Saw My First TOS episode!

deadman uk, may I ask how long you've been a fan?
Nardpuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2009, 06:08 AM   #17
gottacook
Commander

"The Corbomite Maneuver" has its longueurs, but it's certainly as crucial an episode as represented above - the very first McCoy-Kirk-Spock interactions ever put to film. Plus some delightful dialogue, such as when Kirk gets to be outraged when presented with a salad; my preteen daughters aren't such big fans, but nonetheless we can always crack each other up at dinner by saying "Green leaves?" (At an early age they both recognized the puppet in this episode from the final image in the 2nd-season end credits: "the red-and-green man!")
gottacook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2009, 07:35 AM   #18
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

deadman_uk wrote: View Post
26138 wrote: View Post
They aired "The Man Trap" first.
Wouldn't that make "The Man Trap" the pilot? Usually the pilot is the first episode.
The production pilot is generally the sample episode which sets up the premise, or shows the networks an example of the series format. These episodes may or may not be aired first, depending on the network and the series. If the entire premise is set up in the pilot, then it (or a re-edited version of it) is aired first in the run. However, if the episode can essentially be shown anywhere, a "stronger" episode may be aired first. This is called the "broadcast pilot." For example, the series "I Spy" began its run with "So Long Patrick Henry" (an amazing episode written by star Robert Culp). However, the series pilot was actually "Affair in T'Sien Cha" which was a bland entry aired 14th, between Christmas and New Years, a graveyard for new programming, and a relatively harmless place to stick crappy episodes.

The Cage and Where No Man Has Gone Before are series pilots.
The Man Trap would be considered the broadcast pilot, although I'd it "the premiere".
Old December 25 2009, 09:01 PM   #19
deadman_uk
Commander

Nardpuncher wrote: View Post
deadman uk, may I ask how long you've been a fan?
In the late 90's I was bored and nothing was on TV that I liked. Since I am a sci-fi fan and BBC 2 was showing an episode of TNG, I decided to watch it. The next few days I found myself watching more TNG but at this point I didn't care if I missed it. A few weeks after, I found myself setting my alarm to watch it, and was hooked. I was confused though, what was that blurred face man (Odo) doing on TNG? why were the uniforms different? and why was Dr Crusher replaced with a man (Bashir)? Of course, it was DS9... I didn't understand at the time that there were different shows of Star Trek, I just assumed it was all 1 show. I didn't care for DS9 though so never bothered to watch it. It just seemed wrong. After I've seen many TNG episodes, I started watching VOY and loved it. I then made it my goal to get into DS9 which I did and also loved it. Of course, being a Trek fan, I watched ENT too which I found good but not great. So yes, I've been a fan for over 10 years.

Jeri wrote: View Post
Gawd, aren't you up awfully early?
Yes, I am currently unemployed (looking for work) and have no other commitments at the moment so I stay up late and sleep all morning lol.

gottacook wrote: View Post
However, NBC ordered a second pilot without the Number One character (Majel Barrett). Jeffrey Hunter declined to appear again as Pike, hence Shatner as Kirk.
Why did NBC order NOT to include Majel Barrett? Is it because she is a woman? I am too young to understand the 60's view on women and race, sorry. I never liked "Number One" anyway, I felt she was emotionless and dull.

Why did Jeffery Hunter decline to appear again as Pike? I really think he was great as the role of captain. I have not seen Kirk yet so I cannot compare him to Pike so I ask how much "better" is Kirk than Pike? or are they just equal but different?

Penhall99 wrote: View Post
I envy you. I wish I could go back and watch all the TOS episodes for the first time again...

But yeah, you are in for a great ride. TOS is excellent, and you have many, many more classic shows to come.
Thanks, it seems I am in for a good ride.

ElfEars wrote: View Post
When I first watched TOS, I started watching TOS with The Man Trap, which was OK and I liked it enough, but then I decided to switch to the production order and watched The Cage - and it really blew me away. Great episode.
JoeD80 wrote: View Post
These are the numbers following air-date order, not production order. "Where No Man Has Gone Before" was the 2nd produced (counting "The Cage" as the first), "The Man Trap" was the 6th, "Charlie X" was the 8th. The network or the studio often shuffles episodes around to give a balance to the variety of stories on a particular series (at least that's the theory; sometimes it just leads to viewer confusion as in the Firefly example above).
Noname Given wrote: View Post
If your inclined, do yourself a favor and watch the first 12 episodes in Production order, and NOT broadcast order, as for the first half season they had a lot of small internal continuity nods. For example The Corbomite Manuever (which IMO is the best Star Trek episode made because it really captures the essence of what 'Star Trek' was abount in 55 minutes (YMMV ) was the first episode filmed after teh pilot, but was the 10th episode aired because of all the SFX shots required for it).
Ok, I want to watch these in the "best" order possible so need you guys to help me. It seems I should watch them in production order so could people jot down the episode names for me please? I've only seen 1 episode so far, which is "The Cage" so what comes next for the best experience?

Sorry if I did not quote you all, but I have read all your comments and really appreciate your input!
deadman_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2009, 09:25 PM   #20
ToddPence
Fleet Captain

First season in production order:

1. WHERE NO MAN HAS GONE BEFORE
2. THE CORBOMITE MANUEVER
3. MUDD'S WOMEN
4. THE ENEMY WITHIN
5. THE MAN TRAP
6. THE NAKED TIME
7. CHARLIE X
8. BALANCE OF TERROR
9. WHAT ARE LITTLE GIRLS MADE OF?
10. DAGGER OF THE MIND
11. MIRI
12. THE CONSCIENCE OF THE KING
13. THE GALILEO SEVEN
14. COURT-MARTIAL
15. THE MENAGERIE (1 & 2)
16. SHORE LEAVE
17. THE SQUIRE OF GOTHOS
18. ARENA
19. THE ALTERNATIVE FACTOR
20. TOMORROW IS YESTERDAY
21. THE RETURN OF THE ARCHONS
22. A TASTE OF ARMAGEDDON
23. SPACE SEED
24. THIS SIDE OF PARADISE
25. THE DEVIL IN THE DARK
26. ERRAND OF MERCY
27. THE CITY ON THE EDGE OF FOREVER
28. OPERATION ANNIHILATE
ToddPence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2009, 09:42 PM   #21
deadman_uk
Commander

ToddPence wrote: View Post
First season in production order:

1. WHERE NO MAN HAS GONE BEFORE
2. THE CORBOMITE MANUEVER
3. MUDD'S WOMEN
4. THE ENEMY WITHIN
5. THE MAN TRAP
6. THE NAKED TIME
7. CHARLIE X
8. BALANCE OF TERROR
9. WHAT ARE LITTLE GIRLS MADE OF?
10. DAGGER OF THE MIND
11. MIRI
12. THE CONSCIENCE OF THE KING
13. THE GALILEO SEVEN
14. COURT-MARTIAL
15. THE MENAGERIE (1 & 2)
16. SHORE LEAVE
17. THE SQUIRE OF GOTHOS
18. ARENA
19. THE ALTERNATIVE FACTOR
20. TOMORROW IS YESTERDAY
21. THE RETURN OF THE ARCHONS
22. A TASTE OF ARMAGEDDON
23. SPACE SEED
24. THIS SIDE OF PARADISE
25. THE DEVIL IN THE DARK
26. ERRAND OF MERCY
27. THE CITY ON THE EDGE OF FOREVER
28. OPERATION ANNIHILATE
Excellent! thanks very much, I shall watch them in this order.
Old December 27 2009, 02:37 AM   #22
Anji
Rear Admiral

View Anji's Twitter Profile

deadman uk,
enjoy the TOS and I know how you feel. I just got another job after being unemployed for a while too. Good luck and don't worry. You'll find a job real soon!
Anji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2009, 04:44 AM   #23
Alexander
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Oh, I've just gotten started on these, too! As a second generation 'Trekkie' with my mother braving the fandom before me, I grew up watching the newer shows as a child, when they really were brand new. I can still remember the times when I thought Deanna Troi was the most beautiful woman on earth... or in space, I suppose, to be accurate.

Now, I'm a bit more grown up than I was then and somehow got roped into watching the first few episodes of TOS with my family on the xBox with our Netflix. I'm a little over half of the way through the first season, though I broke order to watch 'A Piece of the Action' because a friend told me it was funny, which it was. I have been very impressed by the hilarity of TOS. "Spock is so spunky!" is usually all I have to say when my family asks me how it is going.

I'm very glad to know I'm not the only person watching it through for the first time. I thought for sure I was the last one on the planet!
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2009, 05:05 AM   #24
deadman_uk
Commander

Thanks Anji, yes, I'm sure a job will come my way soon.

Alexander, I've seen approximately 5 episodes of TOS now and watching them in production order. I can't say it's better than TNG, DS9 or VOY but as much as I love ENT, I'd have to say TOS is better..........argh I hate putting ENT down but something about that show, even during season 3 and 4 isn't quite right. Out of curiosity, what is your favourite Trek? Mine is VOY.

The last episode I watched was "The Enemy Within". What I kept wondering to myself was why didn't they send a shuttle over to rescue the team on the cold planet? I know the real reason was because the shuttle was not thought of in such as early season and/or they had no model of a shuttle to film. Even if the weather down there was too bad to send a shuttle, they could have at least suggested it the show though... geez! Even without shuttles, they must have had escape pods, they could have crash landed one of those to keep the team on the planet warm, or replicate a gas heater or something! The crews whole attitude was "oh well, no teleporters, no help".
Old December 27 2009, 05:16 PM   #25
startrekrcks
Fleet Captain

View startrekrcks's Twitter Profile

It's like a huh moment no no
startrekrcks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2009, 02:25 AM   #26
La'T'Freja
Ensign

Why did NBC order NOT to include Majel Barrett? Is it because she is a woman? I am too young to understand the 60's view on women and race, sorry. I never liked "Number One" anyway, I felt she was emotionless and dull.
I think they did indeed say it was because she's a woman in the commentary/documentary (I forget what I was listening to lol) to that episode that's found on the remastered DVDs. I think the network felt a woman as such an authority figure was unrealistic.
It was in a similar vein to their use of the initials D.C. Fontana instead of billing her as Dorothy Catherine Fontana; they didn't want viewers to be put off by the fact that some episodes were written by a woman. Also, networks at the time were generally unwilling to hire female writers (I also heard at least one of these points somewhere on the DVDs)

Oh the '60's.
La'T'Freja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2009, 02:44 AM   #27
deadman_uk
Commander

La'T'Freja wrote: View Post

I think they did indeed say it was because she's a woman in the commentary/documentary (I forget what I was listening to lol) to that episode that's found on the remastered DVDs. I think the network felt a woman as such an authority figure was unrealistic.
It was in a similar vein to their use of the initials D.C. Fontana instead of billing her as Dorothy Catherine Fontana; they didn't want viewers to be put off by the fact that some episodes were written by a woman. Also, networks at the time were generally unwilling to hire female writers (I also heard at least one of these points somewhere on the DVDs)

Oh the '60's.
Wow that's shocking. Thanks for verifying that, very interesting.
Old December 28 2009, 01:33 PM   #28
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

La'T'Freja wrote: View Post

Oh the '60's.
I read that test audiences (including women) reacted very badly to her - they couldn't handle the idea of a woman in the position of power and were saying "Who the hell does she thinks she is".

OTOH, producer Herbert Solow later claimed that this was not a reason, and that they were objecting to the actress, not the character, since she was pretty much unknown and cast for being Roddenberry's girlfriend. If that is true, than it's funny that they didn't object when she reappeared in a platinum wig as Christine Chapel.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2009, 01:57 AM   #29
Alexander
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Alexander, I've seen approximately 5 episodes of TOS now and watching them in production order. I can't say it's better than TNG, DS9 or VOY but as much as I love ENT, I'd have to say TOS is better..........argh I hate putting ENT down but something about that show, even during season 3 and 4 isn't quite right. Out of curiosity, what is your favourite Trek? Mine is VOY.
I must admit, I do not have favorites. I've just started seriously watching and of the different series, and so I can't accurately say that I like one over the other. Right now, though, I must say out of all the different Star Treks that I have sampled, TOS is winning in my polls. It's not put together quite the same as a more modern series is, but it is endearing. I like it
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2009, 04:16 AM   #30
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Glad you've started watching. The stories make up for any kind of special effects. I'm sure they looked pretty good in '66. We're so demanding with our SFX nowadays.