Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old December 22 2009, 04:28 AM   #1
Tribbles
Commander

Location: Tribbles are on the bridge, your lunch tray, everywhere-- and multiplying at an alarming rate!
"...the men from Vulcan treat their women strangely."

I'm always curious about this line from Christine Chapel's declaration of love to Mr. Spock (The Naked Time). She goes on to assume that he wouldn't "hurt" her:

"...the men from Vulcan treat their women strangely. At least, people say that, but you’re part human, too. I know you don’t, you couldn’t, hurt me, would you?"

What does she mean? Is she referring to Vulcan being a patriarchal society? Surely Vulcan men don't physically harm their wives? Or does she mean emotional pain?

I considered the possibility that she might be thinking about pon farr. Spock says it's not discussed with outsiders, but perhaps its potential physical harm to women may be a matter of rumor among humans. If this is on her mind, I'd say it's peripheral perhaps to the emotional turmoil a human woman might face from loving a Vulcan man.

Tribbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2009, 04:34 AM   #2
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile
Re: "...the men from Vulcan treat their women strangely."

Silver TriBells wrote: View Post
I considered the possibility that she might be thinking about pon farr. Spock says it's not discussed with outsiders, but perhaps its potential physical harm to women may be a matter of rumor among humans.
Probably. But since most Humans probably don't really know much about Vulcans, there are probably a lot of exaggerated rumors about Vulcan men becoming wild and violent during Pon Farr - and then take it from there and imagine all sorts of stories that might have sprung from that. (Of course, TOS never bothered to explain whether Vulcan women undergo Pon Farr as well. )

Emotional pain may be an issue for a Human woman, but not for a Vulcan woman, since they are as emotionally reserved as Vulcan men are.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2009, 10:45 AM   #3
Admiral Shran
Admiral

Silver TriBells wrote: View Post
"...the men from Vulcan treat their women strangely. At least, people say that, but you’re part human, too. I know you don’t, you couldn’t, hurt me, would you?"

What does she mean? Is she referring to Vulcan being a patriarchal society? Surely Vulcan men don't physically harm their wives? Or does she mean emotional pain?
I'd say she was referring to how Vulcan men treat their wives emotionally. It would certainly seem strange to humans that a husband would express absolutely no love or affection towards his wife.

As for not hurting her - probably both physically and emotionally. Certainly Spock wouldn't, couldn't, hurt her in an emotional way. And he wouldn't harm her physically either, it's not logical to physically harm your mate. I doubt the Pon Farr has anything to do it. Remember that the Pon Farr was an extremely personal element of a Vulcan's personality. I wasn't dicussed with non-Vulcans, expect when absolutely necessary. Tuvok and T'Pol both later tried to not talk about it with non-Vulcans. Therefore, Chapel probably doesn't know that much about it.
Old December 22 2009, 11:03 AM   #4
Green Shirt
Commodore

I don't recall, but wasn't she under the influence of the PSI 2000 disease at the time she asked the question?
Old December 22 2009, 05:12 PM   #5
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Admiral Shran wrote: View Post
I'd say she was referring to how Vulcan men treat their wives emotionally. It would certainly seem strange to humans that a husband would express absolutely no love or affection towards his wife.
Conversely, it would seem very natural that humans *assume* Vulcan couples don't express love towards each other, but I highly doubt this is true. Vulcans probably just express it differently.
Old December 22 2009, 05:17 PM   #6
Hambone
Fleet Captain

You're all reading too much into this. Vulcan men all have those sex-swing things in their bedrooms. That's all.
Old December 22 2009, 11:43 PM   #7
Timo
Admiral

But that'd be an oddly biased view. After all, Vulcan wives would also fail to express love towards their husbands. If Chapel fails to recognize this, we're back to claiming that she has misconceptions about Vulcan customs, rather than authentic knowledge - and then we cannot really answer the question "what is she talking about?" because we cannot know what misconceptions she holds.

Whether Vulcan is a matriarchal or patriarchal culture, Sarek certainly looks like he's keeping his wife on a short leash. Perhaps said Ambassador is the only Vulcan that humans have had a chance to observe, and thus to form misconceptions about? Or perhaps all Vulcan Ambassadors interacting with humans are like that - males chosen for their authoritarian attitudes? Funny in any case that Nurse Chapel seems to know more about Vulcans than her superior officers do...

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2009, 02:59 AM   #8
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

Remember that the Pon Farr was an extremely personal element of a Vulcan's personality. I wasn't dicussed with non-Vulcans, expect when absolutely necessary. Tuvok and T'Pol both later tried to not talk about it with non-Vulcans. Therefore, Chapel probably doesn't know that much about it.
How come Droxine (The Cloud Minders) had heard about it?

Timo wrote: View Post
Whether Vulcan is a matriarchal or patriarchal culture, Sarek certainly looks like he's keeping his wife on a short leash. Perhaps said Ambassador is the only Vulcan that humans have had a chance to observe, and thus to form misconceptions about? Or perhaps all Vulcan Ambassadors interacting with humans are like that - males chosen for their authoritarian attitudes?
That's pretty hard to believe. It's not like Humans and Vulcans had only known each other for a couple of years, or that there aren't any distinguished female Vulcans Humans would have been familiar with. Shouldn't they at least have been familiar with T'Pau?

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2009, 03:03 AM   #9
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

ElfEars wrote: View Post
Remember that the Pon Farr was an extremely personal element of a Vulcan's personality. I wasn't dicussed with non-Vulcans, expect when absolutely necessary. Tuvok and T'Pol both later tried to not talk about it with non-Vulcans. Therefore, Chapel probably doesn't know that much about it.
How come Droxine (The Cloud Minders) had heard about it?
She's Spock's cyber staker.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2009, 04:54 AM   #10
threeb
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Conversely, it would seem very natural that humans *assume* Vulcan couples don't express love towards each other, but I highly doubt this is true. Vulcans probably just express it differently.
I agree with you. I seriously doubt that *no* love exists in Vulcan families, otherwise they would be indifferent to their offspring, wouldn't care what they did once they left home, etc. IMHO, Vulcans love each other, they just feel no need to say/demonstrate it like humans do.
threeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2009, 06:50 AM   #11
Admiral Shran
Admiral

threeb wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I agree with you. I seriously doubt that *no* love exists in Vulcan families, otherwise they would be indifferent to their offspring, wouldn't care what they did once they left home, etc. IMHO, Vulcans love each other, they just feel no need to say/demonstrate it like humans do.
There's no doubt that Vulcans experience love. They experience the same full range of emotions as Humans. They just repress their emotions so that they don't become overwhelmed. Even Sarak experienced emotions. After his mind-meld with Picard, we learn that he deeply loved his family and greatly regretted never being close with Spock. He just never let on because that's "not their way."
Old December 23 2009, 02:23 PM   #12
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral

Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...

On Vulcan, to express love is the height of poor taste. Spock says so in the same episode that inspired this thread.
Old December 23 2009, 02:34 PM   #13
iguana_tonante
Admiral

I always assumed she was talking about the pon farr, or probably about the rumors about it.
Old December 24 2009, 12:32 AM   #14
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Green Shirt wrote: View Post
I don't recall, but wasn't she under the influence of the PSI 2000 disease at the time she asked the question?
She was. It's the scene where Chapel infects Spock.
Old December 24 2009, 01:07 AM   #15
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I figured she'd just heard some freaky rumors that had no more than a kernel of truth.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote