MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old December 16 2009, 07:46 AM   #1
Canadave
Vice Admiral

View Canadave's Twitter Profile
First flight of the Boeing 787

Pretty cool. And a beautiful-looking plane, if I do say so myself. Can't wait to get a chance to have a flight in one!
Old December 16 2009, 08:39 AM   #2
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Re: First flight of the Boeing 787

Meh, I'd like to see a passenger aircraft implemented using the blended wing body configuration.

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/b/b797.htm

Scroll down for an artist's impresion.
Old December 16 2009, 03:01 PM   #3
Alpha_Geek
Commodore

Certainly less dramatic than the 707's debut at the IATA Convention.

Old December 16 2009, 03:04 PM   #4
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

Great Mambo Chicken wrote: View Post
Meh, I'd like to see a passenger aircraft implemented using the blended wing body configuration.

That reminds me of B5 universe Earth Force ship designs in a way, like an early model, if only they flew in space....

I like

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2009, 03:09 PM   #5
John Picard
Vice Admiral

Obviously you have very little understanding of construction, material strengths, and cost.
Old December 16 2009, 03:15 PM   #6
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Ebeneezer wrote: View Post

Scroll down for an artist's impression.
Obviously you have very little understanding of construction, material strengths, and cost.
Well why don't we go back to living in caves while we're at it.

ETA: I'm commenting on the aesthetics -- the 787 is the same boring old tube with a couple of slightly curvier wings stuck on -- whoopy doo. The blended wing concept is a lot more pleasing to the eye IMO, but, yes, it may well be out of reach technically without spending unreasonable amounts of money. I'll leave the engineering aspects to those more qualified to comment on this demonstrably professional forum on a Star Trek BBS.

Last edited by Asbo Zaprudder; December 16 2009 at 03:34 PM. Reason: ETA
Asbo Zaprudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2009, 04:36 PM   #7
Alpha_Geek
Commodore

Mambo, blended designs have a disadvantage in this particular arena compared to the tube stuck to wings" design. It can be summed up in two words:

Passengers
Windows

Personally if they had a spectacular set of views on my own controllable LCD in the seat, I'd be happy, but some folks just want a window.
Old December 16 2009, 04:42 PM   #8
John Picard
Vice Admiral

Scroll down for an artist's impression.
Well why don't we go back to living in caves while we're at it.

ETA: I'm commenting on the aesthetics -- the 787 is the same boring old tube with a couple of slightly curvier wings stuck on -- whoopy doo. The blended wing concept is a lot more pleasing to the eye IMO, but, yes, it may well be out of reach technically without spending unreasonable amounts of money. I'll leave the engineering aspects to those more qualified to comment on this demonstrably professional forum on a Star Trek BBS.
Uh huh. You may prefer a blended wing and fuselage; however, it may not be practical nor cost efficient/effective to build or put into service. The 787 is constructed of composite materials to be lighter and more fuel efficient, the latter being a key goal.

An example of inefficient is the Concord. Radical when it first rolled out but eventually it became to costly to operate, which is a shame as I'd pony up the extra money to get to Europe in an hour instead of 8 hours.
Old December 16 2009, 04:59 PM   #9
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

It'd be a nice feature if they could have one or two feeds from external cameras on present-day aircraft -- one in the nose and one high up in the tail say.

With the blended-wing design, they were talking of up to 1000 passengers on two decks. I guess the 1st class passengers would get the window seats, and coach could have LCDs as you say. There was talk of a plane being developed along these lines a few years ago but it as stated that there were too many negative factors -- needing new gates at termini, wider runways, larger termini even, the new technologies required to support a large pressurised volume, and the difficulty of evacuating so many passengers in an emergency. And, of course, there just isn't the economic justification. It would most likely kill off any manufacturer that went that route if the shareholders didn't sack the directors first.

Nice looking planes though...
Old December 16 2009, 05:04 PM   #10
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

An example of inefficient is the Concord. Radical when it first rolled out but eventually it became to costly to operate, which is a shame as I'd pony up the extra money to get to Europe in an hour instead of 8 hours.
Air France crashing one didn't help either. I think Branson expressed interest in taking over BA's fleet but wasn't allowed to.
Old December 16 2009, 05:09 PM   #11
John Picard
Vice Admiral

It'd be a nice feature if they could have one or two feeds from external cameras on present-day aircraft -- one in the nose and one high up in the tail say.

With the blended-wing design, they were talking of up to 1000 passengers on two decks. I guess the 1st class passengers would get the window seats, and coach could have LCDs as you say. There was talk of a plane being developed along these lines a few years ago but it as stated that there were too many negative factors -- needing new gates at termini, wider runways, larger termini even, the new technologies required to support a large pressurised volume, and the difficulty of evacuating so many passengers in an emergency. And, of course, there just isn't the economic justification. It would most likely kill off any manufacturer that went that route if the shareholders didn't sack the directors first.

Nice looking planes though...
See, you basically answered your own questions, addressed statements I made, and even brought up other issues -- safety and economics will always triumph. This is where function is more critical over form.
Old December 16 2009, 05:41 PM   #12
Data Holmes
Admiral

Missle D'oh wrote: View Post
Certainly less dramatic than the 707's debut at the IATA Convention.
I love that vid...

Air France crashing one didn't help either. I think Branson expressed interest in taking over BA's fleet but wasn't allowed to.
Branson found his answer... look up his plans for VG's SpaceShipThree.
Old December 16 2009, 05:54 PM   #13
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

Personally if they had a spectacular set of views on my own controllable LCD in the seat, I'd be happy, but some folks just want a window.
Most window seats on smaller craft (which most of the domestic travel is on) have a view of the wing.
Old December 16 2009, 06:04 PM   #14
John Picard
Vice Admiral

St. Squig wrote: View Post
Most window seats on smaller craft (which most of the domestic travel is on) have a view of the wing.
"DID YOU SEE THAT?!?!? THERE'S SOMETHING OUT THERE...ON THE WING!!!!"
Old December 16 2009, 06:05 PM   #15
Zachary Smith
Vice Admiral

St. Squig wrote: View Post
And it's damn COMFORTING to be able to glance out every now and again and make SURE that wing is still there. You, of ALL people, should be able to appreciate that, Squig.

My favorite TV show is "Cool Hand Luke Skywalker--Texas Ranger". The best episode is the one where he fights Samantha's wacky Sith Lord Uncle, Darth Arthur . . ."
Zachary Smith is offline   Reply With Quote