RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,732
Posts: 5,432,777
Members: 24,836
Currently online: 472
Newest member: crazycornuts

TrekToday headlines

Episode Four of The Red Shirt Diaries
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Star Trek: The Compendium Review
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 20 2009, 07:44 AM   #46
DaveyNY
Commodore
 
DaveyNY's Avatar
 
Location: DaveyNY
Send a message via AIM to DaveyNY Send a message via Yahoo to DaveyNY
Re: STAR TREK: REBOOTED FOR THE WRONG REASONS

I'm one of the old-school posters here, that has been around less lately due to the vitriol that comes with expressing one's less-than-positive opinion's about Trek XI.

Even though I enjoy the movie, I squirm a lot when I stop and think about how convoluted the plot as written, got Us to this new Trek.
And I don't really care for many of the choices made..., but I've grown accustomed to its face at this point.

I saw the movie twice in the theater and have purchased it on blu-ray.
(yes, I'm one of those people who at least try to enjoy everything that TPTB throw at Us, I even liked ENTERPRISE.)

I still pine for something a bit closer to the Trek I've grown old with, but I certainly don't lose any sleep over the fact that I will probably never be completely happy with this version, nor, that I will ever get what I pine for.


I'm getting all three seasons of Classic Trek on Blu-ray for Xmas.
(And I'm sick-and-tired of seeing people type that sarcastic crap about how all the old stuff is going to dissappear, it was lame the first time I read it and just keeps getting older everytime it pops up around here.)

Thank goodness being nostalgic isn't a crime... except, apparently, to some Folks around here.
__________________
I must go out in2 space again for the call of adventure cries. With a steady hand & robust crew I'll take her forth with pride. I must go out in2 space again to a vagabond Captains life. Where comets play & galaxies sway like whirlwinds in the night.
DaveyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2009, 08:21 AM   #47
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: STAR TREK: REBOOTED FOR THE WRONG REASONS

Nostalgia isn't a crime, but it's remarkable how quickly it shades into self-pity for a few of the TOS-only folks around here. They pretty much have given posting in this forum, altogether though.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2009, 11:48 AM   #48
Devon
Fleet Captain
 
Devon's Avatar
 
Re: STAR TREK: REBOOTED FOR THE WRONG REASONS

AnyStar wrote: View Post
i think differently, this isnt trek.
Nope, it's Star Trek.

its something new, something different the only thing trek about it is the names
That's how most new Star Trek works.
Devon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2009, 01:03 PM   #49
iguana_tonante
Admiral
 
iguana_tonante's Avatar
 
Location: Italy, EU
Re: STAR TREK: REBOOTED FOR THE WRONG REASONS

Aragorn wrote: View Post
What? You don't like all the self-fulfilling prophecies made before, during and after the movie's release that involves constantly moving the goalposts back?
Oh, I loved them! But I'm aware that not everybody saw them at the time, so I thought it was useful to give some background and perspective.

daveyNY wrote: View Post
I'm one of the old-school posters here, that has been around less lately due to the vitriol that comes with expressing one's less-than-positive opinion's about Trek XI.
It's not vitriol about expressing your opinion. It's annoyance about posting it twenty times a day, in every thread (even those not about the movies), for months and months. Seriously. I'm not talking about you specifically (I can't honestly say I remember your handle, sorry), but there were some posts that definitively verged on the obsessed.

daveyNY wrote: View Post
Thank goodness being nostalgic isn't a crime... except, apparently, to some Folks around here.
And this is exactly the passive-aggressive stuff I was talking about just above.
__________________
Scientist. Gentleman. Teacher. Fighter. Lover. Father.
iguana_tonante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2009, 05:18 PM   #50
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: STAR TREK: REBOOTED FOR THE WRONG REASONS

This stuff went on in the Enterprise forum and drove the fans of the show - and the mods who had to deal both with nastiness from critics and a defensive why-don't-you-go-away reaction from fans - nuts.

The difference is the proportion of posters on either side of the divide this time. Most posters like the movie; most posters didn't like Enterprise. I like both of them.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2009, 06:14 PM   #51
Franklin
Rear Admiral
 
Location: In the bleachers
Re: STAR TREK: REBOOTED FOR THE WRONG REASONS

Dennis wrote: View Post
Who wants to go back? Really?
Well, if I could do it and also be 12 again -- .

The amazing thing is how true to TOS the characters were kept, and how well they held up inside Abrams's new "modernized" and "readapted" Trek universe. There is no reason to go back.
__________________
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. -- Mark Twain
Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2009, 06:22 PM   #52
GhostFaceSaint
Fleet Captain
 
GhostFaceSaint's Avatar
 
Location: On the north pole in GhostFaceSaint's workshop.
Re: STAR TREK: REBOOTED FOR THE WRONG REASONS

I do see a lot of Star Trek (XI) repeated bashing on the same threads, it gets very old as the same posters constantly vent their emotions causing me to avoid the more obvious threads that - that sort of stuff is posted. I have written both short and long responses to the more rude posts critiquing either the movie or the taste of those who liked the movie, it does get offensive at times.
__________________
It is our destiny to explore the stars...
GhostFaceSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2009, 06:24 PM   #53
GhostFaceSaint
Fleet Captain
 
GhostFaceSaint's Avatar
 
Location: On the north pole in GhostFaceSaint's workshop.
Re: STAR TREK: REBOOTED FOR THE WRONG REASONS

Oops grabbed the wrong quote; here.

notte_silente wrote: View Post
Aragorn wrote: View Post
What? You don't like all the self-fulfilling prophecies made before, during and after the movie's release that involves constantly moving the goalposts back?
Oh, I loved them! But I'm aware that not everybody saw them at the time, so I thought it was useful to give some background and perspective.

daveyNY wrote: View Post
I'm one of the old-school posters here, that has been around less lately due to the vitriol that comes with expressing one's less-than-positive opinion's about Trek XI.
It's not vitriol about expressing your opinion. It's annoyance about posting it twenty times a day, in every thread (even those not about the movies), for months and months. Seriously. I'm not talking about you specifically (I can't honestly say I remember your handle, sorry), but there were some posts that definitively verged on the obsessed.

daveyNY wrote: View Post
Thank goodness being nostalgic isn't a crime... except, apparently, to some Folks around here.
And this is exactly the passive-aggressive stuff I was talking about just above.
I do see a lot of Star Trek (XI) repeated bashing on the same threads, it gets very old as the same posters constantly vent their emotions causing me to avoid the more obvious threads that - that sort of stuff is posted. I have written both short and long responses to the more rude posts critiquing either the movie or the taste of those who liked the movie, it does get offensive at times.
__________________
It is our destiny to explore the stars...
GhostFaceSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2009, 06:55 PM   #54
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: STAR TREK: REBOOTED FOR THE WRONG REASONS

Yeah, who cares? You can live your life as an enthusiast or a critic. You can be a perfectionist and accomplish nothing, living in a chilly state of appreciation for a few things that meet your (ahem) "standards" or you can embrace creativity and go out and do things.

All of which is a false dichotomy, of course. It'll do for this morning.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2009, 10:34 PM   #55
Dusty Ayres
Commodore
 
Location: ANS Yamato, Sector 5, Sol System
Re: STAR TREK: REBOOTED FOR THE WRONG REASONS

Dennis wrote: View Post
Yeah, who cares? You can live your life as an enthusiast or a critic. You can be a perfectionist and accomplish nothing, living in a chilly state of appreciation for a few things that meet your (ahem) "standards" or you can embrace creativity and go out and do things.

All of which is a false dichotomy, of course. It'll do for this morning.
Seconded, and thirded, even!
Dusty Ayres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2009, 05:10 AM   #56
number6
Vice Admiral
 
Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.
Re: STAR TREK: REBOOTED FOR THE WRONG REASONS

Dusty Ayres wrote: View Post
Dennis wrote: View Post
Yeah, who cares? You can live your life as an enthusiast or a critic. You can be a perfectionist and accomplish nothing, living in a chilly state of appreciation for a few things that meet your (ahem) "standards" or you can embrace creativity and go out and do things.

All of which is a false dichotomy, of course. It'll do for this morning.
Seconded, and thirded, even!
QFFT!!

As always, well articulated, Sir Dennis!
number6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2009, 05:26 AM   #57
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.
 
M'Sharak's Avatar
 
Location: Terra Inlandia
Re: STAR TREK: REBOOTED FOR THE WRONG REASONS

Dennis has been knighted? Why do I always miss these things?
__________________
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2009, 06:04 AM   #58
number6
Vice Admiral
 
Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.
Re: STAR TREK: REBOOTED FOR THE WRONG REASONS

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Dennis has been knighted? Why do I always miss these things?
You're so busy handing out warnings and quashing our dreams.
number6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2009, 06:20 AM   #59
Plomeek Broth
Captain
 
Plomeek Broth's Avatar
 
Location: Quark's Holosuites
Re: STAR TREK: REBOOTED FOR THE WRONG REASONS

I enjoyed Trek 11 the two times I have seen it. However, I get the feeling over time I will just look at it as a film with beautiful visual effects and a beautiful cast, but not much below the surface. The story in Trek 11 is severely not a deep thinking story unlike Trek done properly like it has been on many occasions in the series and some of the other films over the years.
Plomeek Broth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2009, 03:02 PM   #60
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: STAR TREK: REBOOTED FOR THE WRONG REASONS

Black Lodge wrote: View Post
I enjoyed Trek 11 the two times I have seen it. However, I get the feeling over time I will just look at it as a film with beautiful visual effects and a beautiful cast, but not much below the surface. The story in Trek 11 is severely not a deep thinking story unlike Trek done properly like it has been on many occasions in the series and some of the other films over the years.
This is how I feel.

They wasted an extraordinary cast on a pretty poor script. So much of it just makes you roll your eyes.

Yes I saw it multiple times at the theater and own the Blu-Ray.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
bloggers, fandom, star trek (2009 film)

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.