Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old December 24 2009, 03:42 AM   #1
ThePlumsofWrath
Commander

So, in the final analysis......

....is the Trek universe worse off than it was 3 years ago?

Did Abrams Trek destroy Star Trek or has he built a platform from which to create and sustain something we'll all care for and want to go on watching?

Did anyone feel truely 'raped' or can they now concede that they overreacted to the whole notion?

Was there no end of overreaction to the new USS Enterprise?

Were the actors parodies of what we had seen before?

Was it as bad as some people made out it would be?

I loved it, I enjoyed it for what it was, a big budget blockbuster with amazing special effects. Was it as good as TWOK? No but it was better than any TNG film and it certainly would appear to have reinvigorated the franchise.

But does it remain in the conciousness of the general public? Keep seeing Trek toys in half price bins outside toy shops, does this mean anything? Perhaps there are longevity issues?

Things are certainly different BUT are they any worse or better?

That's the question.
ThePlumsofWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2009, 03:50 AM   #2
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: So, in the final analysis......

Massively better.

Three years ago, Trek was done - and deservedly so. It had become a repetitious bore that mattered only to trufans.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2009, 04:16 AM   #3
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

ThePlumsofWrath wrote: View Post
No, it's better off. Didn't care for the story, but I liked just about every other aspect of production.

Did Abrams Trek destroy Star Trek or has he built a platform from which to create and sustain something we'll all care for and want to go on watching?
I don't know if I'll keep watching his movies, but I'm optimistic that Trek can be rebooted again and again and live forever.

Did anyone feel truely 'raped' or can they now concede that they overreacted to the whole notion?
I never overreacted. I waited for the movie, watched it, and had a fun time with my dad at the theater. The story wasn't at all engaging, but it was cool seeing Nimoy as Spock again.

Was there no end of overreaction to the new USS Enterprise?
No, there wasn't. I liked the ship.

Were the actors parodies of what we had seen before?
No.

Was it as bad as some people made out it would be?
No.

Was it as good as TWOK? No but it was better than any TNG film...
I can't argue with that.

Things are certainly different BUT are they any worse or better?
Much better now that the Berman-era endlessly churned-out "spinoffs" are history.
Old December 24 2009, 04:44 AM   #4
Jack Frost
Commodore

No.
Yes. Well, most of us.
I didn't feel my childhood was raped. My reaction was mostly* positive.
Yeah, me included. *I still do not entirely like the NuPrise design.
I don't think so.
Not in my opinion.
Fair enough.
Better.
Old December 24 2009, 07:28 AM   #5
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

Dennis wrote: View Post
Massively better.
I agree, the FUTURE is BRIGHT!!!!!!!

I like Trek's future, it's exciting!!!!

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2009, 01:27 PM   #6
Bumbles861
Admiral

Trek is way better off than it was. I would like to see more people reading Trek as well, but I think that people (I speak mainly of the young) don't read too much anymore because of the amount of electronic media out there.
Bumbles861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2009, 03:41 PM   #7
Wowbagger
Fleet Captain

I maintain -- pretty strongly -- that reports of Trek's "death" with the fall of Enterprise were greatly exaggerated. ENT and NEM were the victim of many factors, only a few of them writing-related.

This being said, we are certainly better off now than we were then. There's a little bit less stigma attached to the name of Trekkie, and I know a number of people who are now watching TOS, TNG, and even the latter three series straight through who a year ago wouldn't have stopped to watch five minute of a single episode. We're back in a big way.

Although... I have noticed that, despite Trek '09's huge box office success,
that hasn't seemed to translate into a whole lot of new members for this board, my Trek RPG, or the audience numbers for my audio show, Star Trek: Excelsior (shameless plug: new episode premieres December 26th, only at StarshipExcelsior.com!). So it seems to me that, while we're in a much better position culturally, we are, within the fandom, more or less standing still.
Old December 24 2009, 03:52 PM   #8
Franklin
Rear Admiral

"You OK Franklin? How do you feel?"

"Young. I feel young."
Old December 24 2009, 09:22 PM   #9
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Wowbagger wrote: View Post
I maintain -- pretty strongly -- that reports of Trek's "death" with the fall of Enterprise were greatly exaggerated. ENT and NEM were the victim of many factors, only a few of them writing-related.
You can speak for yourself. For me it was purely writing related.
Old December 24 2009, 09:24 PM   #10
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

It's far better off than it's been since DS9 went off the air. Abrams has accomplished exactly what Trek needed: a commercial, popular and artistic rejuvenation.

My only complaint is that one movie every couple years is not nearly enough! There is just no substitute for Star Trek back on TV. I doubt the movie characters would, or should, be on TV but another group of characters, set in the same era, with the same verve and excitement as Trek XI, would work just fine.

But does it remain in the conciousness of the general public?
Don't fret about that. It ebbs and flows. The public is conscious of whatever is shoved in their face at any given time. Right now, they're focusing on Avatar and those chipmunks. When the next Trek movie is ready to be launched, Paramount will ensure enough public consciousness to give that movie the shot at success that Trek XI had (after that, it's all up to the movie).

An ongoing TV series could help with public consciousness, but it's not a vital element and providing marketing for the movies shouldn't be the motive for a TV series.

I maintain -- pretty strongly -- that reports of Trek's "death" with the fall of Enterprise were greatly exaggerated.
I never believed Trek was dead then, either, or that it had to go away for ten or fifty years in order to get rid of the "oversaturation" that supposedly was the problem. People are never oversaturated on good stuff they want to watch.

ENT and NEM were the victim of many factors, only a few of them writing-related.
Writing was a major problem with both. ENT also suffered from airing on a network that was changing strategies away from its target audience, and from larger trends in TV forcing sci fi to become niche in order to survive (making basic or premium cable a better home for sci fi vs networks, where a niche audience is just too small to bring in the required ratings). NEM probably also suffered from everyone being so bored by the tedious TNG characters. The TOS characters just inherently have more zip to them.

Last edited by Temis the Vorta; December 24 2009 at 09:39 PM.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2009, 09:51 PM   #11
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

It was on life support and a priest had been called.
Old December 24 2009, 09:52 PM   #12
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

It had a slight cough that some people interpreted as a death rattle. A little vacation in a sunny climate cleared that right up!!
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2009, 02:31 AM   #13
Borgminister

At least it wasn't an STD...
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2009, 01:56 PM   #14
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

Temis the Red-Nosed Vorta wrote: View Post
It had a slight cough that some people interpreted as a death rattle. A little vacation in a sunny climate cleared that right up!!
Yes. Now will you all stop hovering over the patient!!

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2009, 08:37 PM   #15
Brolan
Commodore

A new Trek was born with this movie. This is what future Trek movies will be like for the forseeable future. The old style Trek will still live in a future TV series. It costs too much money to do the kinds of things they do in the movies on a TV series.