Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Web Sites/Design

Web Sites/Design Talk about your websites here!

Old December 29 2009, 08:34 PM   #1
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

online polls

Anyone have any advice on setting up online polls that aren't susceptible to the usual types of fraud? How much does it help to have email verification, for instance? Are there any methods that are fraud-proof or is it just a matter of degree? Thanks in advance for any help.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2009, 11:23 PM   #2
Hitman
Vice Admiral

View Hitman's Twitter Profile
Re: online polls

No online poll is fraud proof. The e-mail verification system for instance, can be easely bypassed by such methods as bots that create accounts or even those e-mail in 10 seconds providers.
Old December 30 2009, 01:45 AM   #3
JoeFromEarth
Lieutenant Commander

Your best bet would probably to set a poll through Facebook or similar site. It wouldn't be fraud-proof, but it would help ensure a one-person one-vote outcome.
Old December 30 2009, 03:16 PM   #4
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

I think filtering by IP address rather than email would be more effective. A new email address is extremely easy to come by. A new IP address is slightly more difficult--a casual user wouldn't know how to do it, generally.

Many online polling systems allow IP filtering. Is there a particular one you're looking at?
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2009, 09:16 PM   #5
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Thanks for the replies - the reason Facebook is fraud-proof is because you need to be a Facebook member to vote, right?
Many online polling systems allow IP filtering. Is there a particular one you're looking at?
No - are there some you'd recommend?
Old December 30 2009, 09:53 PM   #6
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Temis the Red-Nosed Vorta wrote: View Post
Thanks for the replies - the reason Facebook is fraud-proof is because you need to be a Facebook member to vote, right?
Depends. Do you have your own web space (and MySQL database, PHP access, etc.) to run a poll program? Or does it have to be a hosted solution?
My blog
Old December 31 2009, 12:47 AM   #7
JoeFromEarth
Lieutenant Commander

One problem with IP filtering is that if someone uses multiple connections to the internet, they can vote multiple times.

For instance, if they use the internet at home, work, and school, then they can vote three times. My school has polls on it's website, I can (and do ) vote multiple times on different IP addresses. (They're just-for-fun polls, nothing serious).
Old December 31 2009, 05:38 AM   #8
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

There's no real foolproof way to insulate online polls from fraud. IP filtering helps, e-mail filtering helps ... but there are ways around just about every filter you can throw out there. Even if you require specific accounts to vote, people can still register and vote with multiple accounts.
Old December 31 2009, 03:02 PM   #9
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

JoeFromEarth wrote: View Post
One problem with IP filtering is that if someone uses multiple connections to the internet, they can vote multiple times.

For instance, if they use the internet at home, work, and school, then they can vote three times. My school has polls on it's website, I can (and do ) vote multiple times on different IP addresses. (They're just-for-fun polls, nothing serious).
That's still going to limit vote fraud for the average user. They could vote 2, maybe 3 times, but no more unless they have access to proxies.

Requiring a unique email is just too easy--email addresses are completely disposable now. The poll could be tanked in a hurry that way.
My blog
Old January 1 2010, 10:37 PM   #10
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Temis the Red-Nosed Vorta wrote: View Post
Depends. Do you have your own web space (and MySQL database, PHP access, etc.) to run a poll program? Or does it have to be a hosted solution?
I'm asking this for work, so yes we have our own website and MySQL database. Thanks for all the recommendations, this is very interesting!
Old January 2 2010, 04:42 PM   #11
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

A little poking around and I found The Amazing Little Poll. It's pretty simple and relies on a flat file instead of a database. It uses a cookie rather than IP or email filtering to prevent fraud. It's also designed to be included in existing pages.

Other than trying to diminish fraud, what features do you require? Just a list of options, and a graph showing the results?
My blog
Old January 4 2010, 01:51 PM   #12
Makerstrauss

Online polls give you a chance to express your opinion and find out what other small business people think about the poll question.All online polls from the site are archived here for your continued voting and viewing pleasure.Online polls have become a staple of the Internet,a very common feature used by all types of Web sites.