Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 17 2009, 11:34 PM   #16
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

Re: “Murmurs” Sci-Fi time-travel drama by CBS in development

FreezeC77 wrote: View Post
The reason why I don't think procedural Sci-Fi works is it alienates the two demographics.

I think most Sci-Fi fans like arc-based story-telling, they like a grander storyline and weekly plots that lead somewhere.
Star Trek: TOS
Star Trek: TNG
Star Trek: VOY
Star Trek: ENT(for the most part)
Stargate: SG1 (Early seasons)
Sliders
Seaquest
Twighlight Zone

But I thought you said Sci-Fi fans didn't like episodic tv and need arcs?
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2009, 01:09 AM   #17
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

Christopher wrote: View Post
Holdfast wrote: View Post
I remember Time Trax as well, which had a similar premise.
That was similar to Timecop in that it involved a future cop chasing future criminals into their past, but it was different in that their time machine only went to one era, the present day of the series. And there was no changing of history involved, since they came back from an alternate timeline. (Though that didn't explain how the hero was able to send messages to the future by placing classified ads they later read in old archived newspapers.)
Yeah, that's the one. I never bought the whole parallel universe thing for the reason you mentioned, but I did enjoy the show, esp. the eps when he caught up with the Nobel prize-winning (or something like that) scientist who invented the Time Trax system. The main character also had a pretty hologram computer in a credit card as his sidekick.

In fact, the more I type, the more I'm sure we've discussed Time Trax previously in this forum. Either that, or it's deja vu caused by someone messing with the timeline...
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2009, 01:55 AM   #18
Christopher
Writer

Holdfast wrote: View Post
The main character also had a pretty hologram computer in a credit card as his sidekick.
Not exactly pretty... more plain and matronly.

http://www.tvacres.com/images/computer_selma5.jpg

In fact, she was based on an image of the protagonist's mother.

And the credit-card disguise was a blatant and intrusive product placement, though not as bad as those final-season Dead Zone episodes where they actually included dialogue about how great the credit card was.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2009, 03:31 AM   #19
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Murmurs writer Jason Smilovic was a Exec. Prod. & writer on 2007's "Bionic Woman" and a writer on 2008's Action/Thriller spy TV series "My Own Worst Enemy"
ARGH! Not a pedigree that inspires confidence.

But what the frak, I'm always up for any new sci fi show. CBS will do it's usual dumbing-down/vanilla approach (it's the worst of all the networks for sf/f) but maybe they can hire some decent actors who will be fun to watch.

Interesting to see CBS hasn't entirely given up on the notion of getting itself some kind of genre cult series. They vacillate between being happy with their dull, safe police procedural lineup and being jealous of other networks' genre shows like Lost and Chuck, that generate buzz and viewer loyalty, and just make going to work in the morning more fun, I suppose.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2009, 03:35 AM   #20
startrekwatcher
Rear Admiral

Actually this reminds me of ENT's Temporal Cold War and the temporal agents. Brannon pitched that as a possible fifth Trek series which became ENT. I liked the TCW the only problem was it didn't receive the kind of development it demanded in fleshing out the various players and their motives in why they wanted to change history.

This sounds interesting--I'd check it out. For all the bashing time travel gets as an overused plot device it certainly has been used as the basis driving entire season long arcs to great effect in recent tv history(LOST season 5, Heroes season one, ENT's Xindi arc, SCC, The 4400).
startrekwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2009, 03:41 AM   #21
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Actually this reminds me of ENT's Temporal Cold War and the temporal agents. Brannon pitched that as a possible fifth Trek series which became ENT.
Which is a truly horrifying thought, considering what a botch that plotline was (and ruined a premise that had great potential).

I still maintain time travel is the most difficult sci fi concept to do well. It torpedoed ENT, and it's the single most damaging element in Heroes (granted, there's a lot of competition for that).

Look at the movies and shows that do time travel well - Twelve Monkeys, Lost. What they have in common is discipline and restraint. The writers decide what the rules of time travel are, communicate those rules clearly and unequivocally to the audience, and stick to them. But time travel opens up so many possibilities that writers can be distracted and sloppy, leading to plotlines that are silly, excessively illogical (illogic is inevitable so the goal is just to reduce it as much as possible), and retreads of stuff we've seen before.

The time travel stuff will probably just be reset-button-of-the-week. So I'm not counting on the writing to carry the show. They should hire some actor who can draw an audience - Ben Browder, Adrian Pasdar, Lee Pace. There's three entirely different actor types, depending on how they want to spin it. (Heck, all three could play distinct characters in the same series, how awesome would that be? )
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2009, 04:28 AM   #22
The Wormhole
Admiral

I'm not holding me breath. The idea sounds kind of promising, but if I know networks, this show will be lucky to get 10 episodes aired before they pull the plug and we end up with all 15 filmed episodes on DVD a few months down the road.

I am so cynical.
Old February 15 2010, 02:29 PM   #23
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
The project is set in a world where time travel is a reality and centers on the Commission, an agency that detects and corrects alterations in time called murmurs, ensuring that history remains unchanged.
When doing a search for Murmurs writer Jason Smilovic I just saw this title for a project in development:
Cosmic Banditos .
The imdb link has no info except says 2011.
Geez what an awful title!
It almost sounds like an attempt by Telemundo to do a scifi show!
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2010, 04:15 AM   #24
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Hmm from an article today about CSI creator Anthony Zuiker:
The projects Zuiker has in internal development are:
; Rift, a time-travel cop show;
Um, that sounds awfully like Murmurs and TimeCop.

or...the police procedureal-sci fi show Unfinished Business starring Will Smith for SyFy for 2010.

It is just like Dante's Peak & Volcano in 2000. Copycats always happen... One is always better (Dante's Peak).
Let's hope that at least one of these time travel TV series gets a series...
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2010, 06:10 AM   #25
Christopher
Writer

"Time-travel cop show" is way too vague to say "This sounds like that show." I mean, "comedy about doctors" could describe MASH, Scrubs, or Doogie Howser, MD, three wildly different shows. "Characters stranded on a spaceship" could be Voyager or Red Dwarf.

And hell, Timecop is hardly the most prominent example of a time-travel cop show. The series ran for a paltry 9 episodes. Time Trax ran for two whole seasons. Heck, I'm amazed people even remember that there was a TV series version of Timecop, let alone default to it as the show they think of when they hear "time-travel cop show."

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2010, 08:28 AM   #26
Jax
Admiral

Why major networks especially CBS attempts such projects is beyond me beause I tell you now...IT WILL FAIL. mainstream network arenn't the place for SCI FI unless you can hide the fact its SCI FI for a while.
Old December 8 2010, 11:11 AM   #27
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
I'm not holding me breath. The idea sounds kind of promising, but if I know networks, this show will be lucky to get 10 episodes aired before they pull the plug and we end up with all 15 filmed episodes on DVD a few months down the road.

I am so cynical.
Cynical? Yes, but that's almost exactly what will happen, but there will be 13 episodes instead of 15.

CBS has high standards that this show will not meet if it's ever made.

I think CBS wants wants a cop show but ran out of different takes on it.
Old December 8 2010, 07:53 PM   #28
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Also shades of Voyagers, another show where the heroes' job was to keep history "on track" (though the mechanism that threatened to divert it was never explained). It also sounds very similar to the excellent but failed pilot for a remake of The Time Tunnel a few years back. I wish they'd made that instead.
I rewatched Voyagers recently and I came tot he conclusion that it was the Germans and Russians who ruled the world in the future and it was all some evil plot to create a great nation out of the constantly failing and fumbling America that never really amounted to nothing which was really the route of it. Why send an under educated fob like Fillias Bog out on missions if he didn't know jack Shit unless they wanted a pawn who wouldn't ask the right questions and swallow the wrong answers.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2010, 05:11 AM   #29
SicOne
Commodore

While we're discussing time-travel TV shows, let's not forget "Seven Days"!
SicOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2010, 01:56 PM   #30
TemporalFlux
Commodore

AviTrek wrote: View Post
Let's see if this makes it past a pilot. Also, CBS has tried Sci Fi procedural in the past and it didn't get past 1 season(Eleventh Hour).
Don't forget the sci-fi legal procedural CBS did back in 2005, "Century City". It survived for a handful of episodes. CBS was also responsible for "Space Rangers" which faced a similar short lived fate (though it probably deserved a short one).
TemporalFlux is offline   Reply With Quote