Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old December 18 2009, 04:34 AM   #16
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Princess and the Frog

Old December 18 2009, 05:18 AM   #17
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

I agree that the secondary character, the spoiled best friend, was a true Southern Belle in every sense of the word. Sweet, spoiled, self-centered yet giving.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2009, 04:37 AM   #18
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Overall, I thought it was very good. The main knock would be the music, which was perfectly fine, but not as memorable as any of the 90s animated musicals I can think of; people are still using music from even minor hits like Hercules to make YouTube music videos more than a decade later, but I don't think any of these have that kind of legs). Serviceable, but not spectacular. "Dig A Little Deeper" was probably the best of them.

Everything else worked great, though. In particular, big success on characterization of the leads, particularly Naveen. Because, really, most of the male leads in princess movies are just there to provide the happy ending, they don't have much in the way of personality; he's got some swagger. I also liked how they handled Charlotte; spoiled, but she wasn't a jealous bitch or anything, and was ready to help Tiana at every turn.

The animation design on the frogs was great. I also liked the stylized look of "Almost There".

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2009, 06:13 AM   #19
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
Everything else worked great, though. In particular, big success on characterization of the leads, particularly Naveen. Because, really, most of the male leads in princess movies are just there to provide the happy ending, they don't have much in the way of personality; he's got some swagger. I also liked how they handled Charlotte; spoiled, but she wasn't a jealous bitch or anything, and was ready to help Tiana at every turn.
That's what I really liked. I was afraid Charlotte was going to be a rich-bitch who just used Tiana (Oh! Here's some money, you're going to cater my party!) and I really though she'd lose her shit when Tiana runed the catering table.

But, no, as pleasant surprise Charlotte was a real, good, friend to Tiana, was willing to reverse Naveen's spell so he could hook-up with Tiana and then Charlotte became a pedophille.
Old December 20 2009, 07:38 AM   #20
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
Overall, I thought it was very good. The main knock would be the music, which was perfectly fine, but not as memorable as any of the 90s animated musicals I can think of; people are still using music from even minor hits like Hercules to make YouTube music videos more than a decade later, but I don't think any of these have that kind of legs). Serviceable, but not spectacular. "Dig A Little Deeper" was probably the best of them.
Wow I'm surprised to read this. I thought the music was extremely memorable, in fact a week later it is STILL stuck in my head. It does help that I was at Disneyland at the time, where they have a new show/parade thing going on in New Orleans Square that involves the movie characters and songs, so I heard the songs probably about 4 times each in 2 days.

Almost There and Goin Down the Bayou (I know that's not the actual name of the song, but whatever) were the ones that were especially memorable to me.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2009, 01:28 AM   #21
melancholymecha
Rear Admiral

I liked the bayou song and Dig a Little Deeper( with the awesome roseate spoonbill chorus)
melancholymecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2009, 02:14 AM   #22
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

melancholymecha wrote: View Post
I liked the bayou song and Dig a Little Deeper( with the awesome roseate spoonbill chorus)
The bayou song was really good. Not may songs from the movie stick out to me, honestly. Maybe the song Tiana sang about working to get her restaurant.
Old December 21 2009, 06:10 AM   #23
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Yeah, I have to think hard to remember the music. I didn't feel that it had that signature song that the 90s Disney movies had which became a somewhat of a mainstream hit.