Red Shirt Diaries Returns Next Month
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

ISS Astronaut May Join Trek Fan Film

Quinto Sports New Trek Uniform

Star Trek: Renegades Released Early
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old December 16 2009, 03:09 AM   #1
UssGlenn
Captain

The Princess and the Frog

Anybody seen this yet? I haven't, but I've been interested because of it's role in the rebirth of Disney 2D animation. How is it and how are the kids in the audience reacting? Was Lassiter right in thinking that people don't care if it's traditional or computer animated as long as the story is good?
Old December 16 2009, 04:35 AM   #2
Joy
Commodore

Re: The Princess and the Frog

Best Disney movie EVER....

Well... Okay, maybe tied with Lion King and Little Mermaid, but it's a close call.

I LOVED it, and I can't wait to go see it again, this time with my sister and my 2-year-old niece, for whom this will be her first theatrical viewing of a Disney princess movie. And actually, PatF was MY first theatrical viewing of a Disney princess movie!

BEAUTIFUL story. BEAUTIFUL art. BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL.

It's a true masterpiece.

Joy

PS: Funnily enough, there wasn't a single person under the age of 20 or over the age of 30 in my audience. Of course, granted, there were only about 8 people total, and it was 11:55 in the morning on a Friday. Wish I could've gone to an evening show to see how it did then.
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2009, 05:58 AM   #3
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Good! I love a good Disney flick. This one looks like fun.
Old December 17 2009, 12:24 AM   #4
melancholymecha
Rear Admiral

watching it tomorrow!
melancholymecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2009, 12:48 AM   #5
Trekker4747
Out there, somewhere...

It's one I kind-of want to see as it looks like a return to good, classic, Disney animation. Maybe I'll take my niece to see it this weekend.
Old December 17 2009, 01:29 AM   #6
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

I saw it a couple of days ago in the Downtown Disney theater while on a trip to Disneyland! It was very good, it looked beautiful and had a great story and message. The New Orleans setting was a great idea and the songs are SO DAMN CATCHY. I have had them stuck in my head for days.

The kids in the audience seemed to enjoy it just as much as the adults did! Of course I'm sure a Downtown Disney crowd is a bit biased, but there was clapping at the end and all that, and appropriate laughing and awwing.

Goin down the bayou, goin down the bayouuu......
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2009, 01:11 AM   #7
StardustSteph
Lieutenant

View StardustSteph's Twitter Profile

Ok, I'm a probably the worst person to review Disney stuff because I am such a fan of it all. I'm very critical..these are just my opinions though. Most people overall will probably love this film.

I loved movies like The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, and etc. I do not think Princess and the Frog lives up to these films at all. The film was good, but it I don't feel personally it was near as captivating as the older Disney 2D animation films were. I don't feel it will have that timeless effect as those others did either. I think it would rank more along the lines with films like Hercules or Hunchback of Notre Dame good films, but not near as memorable and classic as Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, etc.

Perhaps, I am just stuck on loving the traditional fairy tale aspect, which this didn't have. Sure, it was taken from a fairy tale story but it didn't have the same feel as the classic Disney films had. I'm sure most people will enjoy it, but to me it didn't revive Disney 2D animation for me at all. It had comedy, action, love, and all the aspects of a Disney film, but it was lacking in the Disney magic I remember as a kid. This is just my opinion though. It is a definite must see though for Disney fans, and I said before I'm sure most will enjoy it. I'm just very picky .
StardustSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2009, 01:21 AM   #8
Trekker4747
Out there, somewhere...

I got back about an hour or so ago from taking my niece to see this.

This movie is the best animated movie (traditional) Disney has made in a long-assed time. It's beautfuly drawn, has a wonderful story, interesting characters and a pretty good story that progresses naturaly. It has all of the "magic" that a good Disney toon should be.

If I could kiss John Lasseter I would. This movie may not be one of Disney's best (for me that would go to either The Lion King or Alladin) but it's certainly the best one they've made in probably a decade. Well done.
Old December 18 2009, 01:52 AM   #9
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

StardustSteph wrote: View Post
Ok, I'm a probably the worst person to review Disney stuff because I am such a fan of it all. I'm very critical..these are just my opinions though. Most people overall will probably love this film.

I loved movies like The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, and etc. I do not think Princess and the Frog lives up to these films at all. The film was good, but it I don't feel personally it was near as captivating as the older Disney 2D animation films were. I don't feel it will have that timeless effect as those others did either. I think it would rank more along the lines with films like Hercules or Hunchback of Notre Dame good films, but not near as memorable and classic as Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, etc.

Perhaps, I am just stuck on loving the traditional fairy tale aspect, which this didn't have. Sure, it was taken from a fairy tale story but it didn't have the same feel as the classic Disney films had. I'm sure most people will enjoy it, but to me it didn't revive Disney 2D animation for me at all. It had comedy, action, love, and all the aspects of a Disney film, but it was lacking in the Disney magic I remember as a kid. This is just my opinion though. It is a definite must see though for Disney fans, and I said before I'm sure most will enjoy it. I'm just very picky .
I agree that it's not as good as those others, but honestly I don't think anything ever will be. Those movies hold a lot of magic not only because they are great movies but because I first saw them as a kid. I don't think that anything I see as an adult would ever live up to them. Although this movie will probably not be timeless to me personally, I try to think of it from the perspective of an 8 year old. And to them, I think that they will remember it as fondly as I do the Little Mermaid, which they probably see as being almost ancient by now.
—T.S. Eliot
Old December 18 2009, 02:02 AM   #10
melancholymecha
Rear Admiral

I loved it. Loved the bayou scenes, gorgeous naturalistic background art. I did think Facilier was a bit underdeveloped, but his shadow minions were awesome and effectively creepy, especially when they scampered around the city at night.

I actually wasnt very impressed when the first official promo art of this film started showing up on the nets. So many of the characters had this generic dtv look to them, especially Ray & Louis(Louis looked almost exactly like the gator from All Dogs Go to Heaven). So I was surprised to see how much fun their animation was to watch.

also I never knew frogs could look so cute and sexy.

another thing I noticed was how much Tiana's expressions reminded me of Mulan's, with a bit of Belle thrown in. I wonder if Mark Henn designed/animated her?
melancholymecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2009, 02:04 AM   #11
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

^Oh yeah, that's one of the very few complaints I have about the movie, that the villain wasn't quite on par with some past Disney villains. But honestly I don't see how they can outdo themselves since they have had so many awesome ones in the past. This guy was still good, but I still prefer Scar and Ursula.
—T.S. Eliot
Old December 18 2009, 02:46 AM   #12
Trekker4747
Out there, somewhere...

I was rather surprised that:

Old December 18 2009, 02:51 AM   #13
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

^

—T.S. Eliot
Old December 18 2009, 02:53 AM   #14
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I wasn't going to bother with this one but the idea that it has spoilers worth coding has piqued my interest!
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2009, 02:53 AM   #15
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Overall, I liked it. The animation was fantastic. The story was okay, though I felt that it dragged a little in the middle.

I also liked the visual cues to past Disney films.

DrummerBoy wrote: View Post
I was rather surprised that:

He got what he needed.