Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 6 2010, 06:52 PM   #76
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital
Re: LOTR Trilogy (theatrical version) on Blu-ray in 2010

Gatekeeper wrote: View Post
od0_ital wrote: View Post
^

How much does Wal-Mart have 'em for?
$69.96. Pretty cheap, but not the cheapest.
Yeah...I think I'll go to Best Buy this weekend, save ten bucks.
Old April 6 2010, 11:59 PM   #77
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

mswood wrote: View Post
Drone36929 wrote: View Post
Seriously, mswood. You seem to be missing the point here. Seriously. Did I say seriously?

It's not that people are "obligated" to buy the barebones edition of the BDs. BD has great storage capacity. I mean the whole freakin' Special Deluxe Fabulous Director's Edition should fit into one or maybe two BD. People shouldn't have to double- triple-dip with Blu-rays! Sure, worst case scenario, people would have to wait for the Super Deluxe edition to come out, and this wouldn't be necessary if they released a halfway decent version of the Blu-Ray!
Yeah lets see, how many releases keep everything on disc, including a large amount of extras? No I am serious go look at every purchase you have and count the films that keep everything on just one disc that has at least 2 hours of video extras. Very few of mine do. Things like the barebones Potter films (which are the same footage as the DVD's OMG and came out with typically at 24.99 even at discount Stores?) . And well look they are also putting out (and years later no less) releases with about 8 -15 minutes of new footage and extras Look an additional discs of about two hours. But I am sure thats the exception.

People need to understand its the studios actual job and obligation to earn as much revenue as possible, within the law.

Many films have been released on Blu-Ray with the same features as the DVD release, and in general they hit the same price point (plus or minus a couple of dollars).

Many successful films get extended editions as well, and most come out later then the original and a higher price point. And so far, I don't think many studios put all the material on one disc, let alone one release. And in many cases the additions are far, far less then what was done for the Extended versions of LOTR.

Yet these releases are one of the few that have announced that more comprehensive additions would be forth coming. Most don't warn consumers, hell even with the first DVD's they let fans know.

Yet I on all the other threads only occasionally do you see people with those complaints. Go to Amazon.com and look at any release of other films and there isn't a huge push to thrash the films.

And frankly, why should all consumers get stuck with everything on a set, when all they might want is the film itself? I mean there is a reason that normal version sold far, far better then the extended.

But yet its seems perfectly acceptable to do it for this film, I find it to reek of hypocrisy.
You can say whatever you want in defense of these wealthy studios. In your own words, I'm NOT obligated to buy the TE Blu-Ray, and that's why I'm going to wait for the Extended Edition release.

As for the 3D edition I have no interest in purchasing the 3D BD, as I don't have $20,000 to upgrade my LCD TV, BD player, and my entire home movie library. When the 3D Blu-Rays sell for $10 at Wal-Mart and 3D TVs cost $500 apiece, I'll start thinking about it.
Old April 7 2010, 07:33 PM   #78
hamudm
Rear Admiral

View hamudm's Twitter Profile

Got my set for $18.99 due to a price error on the Future Shop website; shipped yesterday!
Old April 10 2010, 12:11 AM   #79
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

LOTR Trilogy Blu-ray review

High Def Digest has a review up:
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Blu-ray)
only three of the discs are actually Blu-rays
The special features discs are all DVDs, as are the digital copy discs.
'The Two Towers' -
no way the fault of the transfer, the special effects work again looks quite bad in high definition.
'The Return of the King'
If there is one thing worth praising in this release, which often feels like a boondoggle, this audio track is it.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2010, 02:51 AM   #80
KB24
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to KB24 Send a message via Yahoo to KB24

On tv I have noticed the HD is bad, but I just figured it was dumbass TNT showing a fullscreen pan and scan in HD. This may be a dumb question, but this set is widescreen, right? Why would anybody make anything fullscreen anymore?

Kind of weird that the features aren't blu-ray, just the same discs from the theatrical dvds! So bizarre!
http://ithinkthereforeireview.blogspot.com
KB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2010, 01:54 PM   #81
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

KB24 wrote: View Post
This may be a dumb question, but this set is widescreen, right? Why would anybody make anything fullscreen anymore?
3 reviews say:
1080p in their native 2.40:1 aspect ratios

The films are presented in full 1080p video (using the VC-1 codec), in the original 2.35:1 scope aspect ratio.

Video resolution: 1080p
Aspect ratio: 2.41:1
Original aspect ratio: 2.39:1

Oddly the DVDtalk review mentions:
The Lord of the Rings was encoded using VC-1 at a resolution of 1080p (1.85:1),
which must be inaccurate.

ALso blu-ray.com has a review up :
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Lo...y-Review/5174/

and digitallyobsessed has a review up:
http://www.digitallyobsessed.com/dis...ew.php?ID=2257

Last edited by jefferiestubes8; April 10 2010 at 02:55 PM.
Old April 24 2010, 11:46 PM   #82
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

The Fellowship of the Ring audio mix for BR

a new near-field mix of
The Fellowship of the Ring
Here's the story:
Fixing Fellowship's Audio
One of the biggest fixes was to the audio for The Fellowship of the Ring. Mike Brunsmann at Warner Brothers DVD/BD Production contacted me that they had found a discrepancy in the audio for The Fellowship of the Ring. Whereas The Two Towers and The Return of the King were EX encoded, Fellowship was just 5.1 with no EX encoding at all. That told me something was wrong, because all three films had been originally encoded in EX. That needed to be corrected. It also made me recall that the mix itself for the DVD of FOTR was problematic and inconsistent with the audio for the DVDs of TTT and ROTK.

What had happened was, back in 2002, the group that was doing the encoding for Fellowship actually remixed the film from its original stems and created a new near-field mix, but not a Peter Jackson-approved mix. The audio track was also flattened out and it was kicked up a few decibels compared to the other two films. This accounts for the excessive bass that some consumers noted on the original, release of FOTR. Chris Boyes, one of the original mixers from the film itself, was brought in at the 11th hour to try and fix it, but at that point, he had to pick his battles and there was only so much he could correct. Because of this, the films mixing team was placed in charge of TTT and ROTK on DVD, so this issue did not recur on those discs, nor on any of the Extended Editions.
So, what most people don't know is that the audio track on the DVD of the theatrical edition of Fellowship was very different than the mix Peter and his team originally created for the film in theaters. New Line had planned to correct this on the HD releases, but that got lost in the shuffle of the transition to WB.

So I put Amy White at Warner Brothers DVD/BD Production in touch with Peter's Wingnut Films, and Park Road Post in New Zealand, who retained copies of the original theatrical mixes. And Chris Boyes and Michael Semanick, two of the guys who mixed the original films were brought in to supervise a new near-field mix of Fellowship to bring it in line with The Two Towers and The Return of the King. Chris and Michael had wanted to fix this for years, so I know that made them happy to finally be able to address this issue. It may have made a few consumers happy as well.
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articl...dmp/index.html