Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy

Trek Retro Watches

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 16 2009, 11:32 AM   #31
AJBryant
Fleet Captain

Re: LOTR Trilogy (theatrical version) on Blu-ray in 2010

Hanukkah Solo wrote: View Post
And my axe!

Er, I mean, this.
I love you, man.

(In a totally hetero-normative, testosterone-laden, manly man sort of way. Not that there's anything wrong with that...)
Abba Anthony [St. Anthony the Great] said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him, saying, 'You are mad; you are not like us.' " -- Wisdom of the Desert Fathers
AJBryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2009, 10:04 PM   #32
mswood
Rear Admiral

I am very glad they are doing a staggered release of this, as if they were going to release them all together I am very sure they would have waited for right before the Hobbit for it (now we get the EE right before the Hobbit).

As for putting everything on one release or keeping it as two separate releases, that also pleases me.

In my family I am the only one who wants the Extended Editions, everyone else just wants the theatrical release. Thus they can get that without the extra cost of having dramatically more material on the disc (i.e. more disc in the set, and thus more expensive).

And I the did put a barebones double edition out, but on DVD the quality wasn't as high as the single releases. While I know Blu-Ray has larger storage, these films are huge (significantly logger then most any film), and while branching would help since they also had to change musical cues in footage that both versions had, it would take even more space. Then you had the vast amount of extras each film had, and yeah to do both versions on one release with all the extras and keeping the quality of the transfer high would make for the set to be of many, many discs. While I would gladly pay for that, most casual fans of the movie wouldn't.
Old December 16 2009, 10:49 PM   #33
Hyperspace05
Commodore

Branching with the LOTR EEs/TEs isn't really practical... There are so many small differences, in addition to the obvious added scenes.
Hyperspace05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2009, 04:26 AM   #34
KB24
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to KB24 Send a message via Yahoo to KB24

Remember the branching technology on DVDs that made the limited editions with the theatrical and extended possible? Sure, that's been replaced by blu ray for the most part, but why can't t here be such a branch or option with both the teathrical and the extended on one set? I think the technology is possible. Warner and whoever else I think is just milking these releases for all the money their worth. I think they went ahead with this theatrical set for April since the Hobbit has been pushed back a bet. I wouldn't be surprised if they stroked out the extended trilogy between all these hobbit releases.

AND I suspect there will be no new features or magics like we've been promised all these years. I ahve the Theatricals, Extended, and the Limited Editions. And I do intend to get the blu-rays, but Good Lord they know how to line their pockets, don't they?
http://ithinkthereforeireview.blogspot.com
KB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2009, 07:28 PM   #35
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Hanukkah Solo wrote: View Post
Honestly, I think FOTR was the only one of the three that didn't need any extra scenes. Both TTT and ROTK needed some of the additions, but I think they made a few poor choices, such as Theodred's funeral and the avalanche of skulls in the Paths of the Dead.
Agreed on Fellowship since i regard it as the best of the three but the scenes added for the EE even improved on an otherwise near flawless movie.

Personally i'll be waiting for the BR EEs since i loathe double dipping (and regard the EEs as the definitive LotR movies).
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2010, 02:21 AM   #36
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

the digital bits has a review up:
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/review...ews032310.html
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2010, 04:10 AM   #37
mswood
Rear Admiral

I honestly don't think branching would be a great idea with these films as not only are there a ton of scenes, but that music also changes, dialogue changes from one version to the other during the same visual scene. I do know that out of the few films that have branching that I have I generally don't care for it.

And the thing is, WB has always been upfront about when they believe these editions will come out. This isn't like after the film was released and oh my god it's out I can't wait. 20 million people already own some form of this film in the US/Canada. If you want only the Extended Edition then stop complaining and wait for it. If you don't want the extras (footage and features) and want what was cut for the movies, then get the originals. And as the originals far outsold the Extended it makes perfect sense for that to be the one issued first.

Imagine the reverse them releasing only the extended edition (the one that will be more expensive first), people would be bitching and money forever about WB trying to gouge their pocket books.

And as I states quite a while ago, that if WB was going to wait and release both versions at once then we would be waiting to about 4 months before the Hobbit opens. There is no way it hell that Warners wouldn't use that has a huge amount of basically free advertising for a major film release.
Old March 24 2010, 10:59 AM   #38
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

wake me up when they release the 100 hour version single mega-collection (containing all 3 parts of LOTR EE and both hobbit films EE)
Green chile cheeseburgers, Red and Green chile burritos, Green and Red chile pizza with beef and chicken, Green chile chicken kung pao, Green chile wine, Green and Red chile popsicles...You can get Red and Green on everything here.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2010, 02:32 PM   #39
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
and the avalanche of skulls in the Paths of the Dead.
Jackson even admits on the commentary the avalanche makes no sense (after all, where's the rest of the skeleton?)

I mean, feh, if he knew that why'd he do it?
Old March 24 2010, 06:55 PM   #40
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

I don't know... because that was the absolutely last scene they added for the EEs. Weird.
Old March 24 2010, 07:21 PM   #41
hamudm
Rear Admiral

View hamudm's Twitter Profile

Considering that I spent $40 on the EE's already and the fact that I'll probably never watch them again, I'll spring for the TE boxset. Realistically, it's really the only one I'd watch or watch with wife and/or friends! It also doesn't seem that naughty considering I'm only ditching 3 regular dvds for it!

EDIT: I also think the Theatrical cuts are the FAR superior cut of the film. I understand the EE's being the bee's knees for big Tolkien fans; however, they are certainly not paced as well as the already long Theatrical versions.
Old March 24 2010, 07:37 PM   #42
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

The theatrical releases were too long, especially the Return of the King. I can't imagine anyone wanting to see any more. Someone gave me the dvd set as a gift and I have to say they don't bear re-watching more than once.
Old March 25 2010, 08:19 AM   #43
BigFoot
Admiral

Well I caved and pre-ordered the trilogy yesterday, even though I know I'll also be getting the extended editions.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2010, 02:23 AM   #44
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

DVD Talk has a review up:
not the one you thinK.....on Blu-ray
Ralph Bakshi's animated take on The Lord of the Rings (1978)

Personally, I thought this was one of the worst animated films I've ever seen.
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/41487...the-rings-the/

Don't be mistaken, it's an animated film from the 1970s.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2010, 06:15 AM   #45
KB24
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to KB24 Send a message via Yahoo to KB24

Can you imagine if they just put all three movies together for the blu ray editions, making them as one film as intended? That would be a neat option.
http://ithinkthereforeireview.blogspot.com
KB24 is offline   Reply With Quote