Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Clone for sale
yes 3 42.86%
no 4 57.14%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 24 2010, 12:42 AM   #1
Lt. Trull
Fleet Captain

to clone or not to clone.....

it's 100, 200, 250 years from now... The CE (clone exchange) Corporation is having a sale on clones....
Law's being what they are you can not clone a individual that's been born in the last 75-100 years....
cerebral function can be set to any level you like.

remember it's 250 years from now.... would you buy a valerie bertinelli clone or a Hector Penate (think larry king divorce) clone....
Lt. Trull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2010, 04:26 AM   #2
Christopher
Writer

Re: to clone or not to clone.....

A clone wouldn't be something you could buy; that would be slavery. A clone isn't something subhuman. It's just an offspring whose genes come entirely from one parent. And that means a clone wouldn't be an exact copy of the original in mind or body, since the clone would grow up in a different generation with different life experiences, environmental influences, diet, education, etc. The fictional conceit of a "clone" as an exact copy right down to the personality is a myth, a misuse of the word. What you're talking about isn't a clone at all, more some kind of Life Model Decoy, to use the Marvel Comics term.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2010, 04:59 AM   #3
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

Yes it would be slavery to own a clone, However your limiting yourself to current technology. 200 years from now it may be possible to transfer a human brains contents into a perfect 20 year old identical clone of yourself thereby allowing yourself a near infinite life. By routinely backing up the brain storage program in the event you are injured or killed the data could be downloaded into the clone and you are ready to go for another lifetime. You have to get past the how do you age a mindless clone thing but that shouldnt be to hard to figure out. A nice black market would exist for complete clones of the famous to be sold to those that could afford it. I always thought the Clonus Horror was quite a scary movie in its concept.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2010, 07:07 AM   #4
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Well, of course, I'd clone myself, removing the Y, then doubling the X--and adding X's from there, to be sure.

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2010, 01:02 PM   #5
Silent_Bob
Fleet Captain

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
Well, of course, I'd clone myself, removing the Y, then doubling the X--and adding X's from there, to be sure.
So basically, you literally want to go f*** yourself?

Personally i wouldn't buy a clone. Because if science fiction has taught us anything its that clones will eventually rise up against the breeders and kill us all.
Old April 24 2010, 01:45 PM   #6
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Well, if there is anyone that could be able to kill me, it's myself.
Old April 24 2010, 02:43 PM   #7
Christopher
Writer

Icemizer wrote: View Post
Yes it would be slavery to own a clone, However your limiting yourself to current technology. 200 years from now it may be possible to transfer a human brains contents into a perfect 20 year old identical clone of yourself thereby allowing yourself a near infinite life. By routinely backing up the brain storage program in the event you are injured or killed the data could be downloaded into the clone and you are ready to go for another lifetime.
That's fantasy. The human mind isn't a piece of software that can be copied and pasted like a spreadsheet app. That's a conceit of cyberpunk fiction, but it's grossly ignorant of real neuroscience in many ways. You can't expect real life to work like fiction.

Besides, as I said, even if an identical copy of a person could be created in some way, it wouldn't be a clone in the actual, nonfictional meaning of the word. Again, my point is that reality isn't identical to fiction. The way the word "clone" is used in fiction doesn't represent the actual biological meaning of the word. A clone is an offspring, not a photocopy.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2010, 04:24 PM   #8
ProtoAvatar
Fleet Captain

Icemizer wrote: View Post
Yes it would be slavery to own a clone, However your limiting yourself to current technology. 200 years from now it may be possible to transfer a human brains contents into a perfect 20 year old identical clone of yourself thereby allowing yourself a near infinite life. By routinely backing up the brain storage program in the event you are injured or killed the data could be downloaded into the clone and you are ready to go for another lifetime. You have to get past the how do you age a mindless clone thing but that shouldnt be to hard to figure out. A nice black market would exist for complete clones of the famous to be sold to those that could afford it. I always thought the Clonus Horror was quite a scary movie in its concept.
Apparently, much of the human brain works on the quantum level.

You can't copy quantum information without severely altering/corrupting it. If you try to copy your mind, the result will be non-functional, or, at best, a 'bizzaro' you.
ProtoAvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2010, 04:56 PM   #9
Lt. Trull
Fleet Captain

well... that all depends on where you are doesn't it.... if your in america... You might have to follow laws.... if your in the sudan.... things are a lot more gray.... and this is 200-250 years from now.... who knows what laws or science there will be.... and science already can already diminish the processing activity of the brain without ceasing life functions....

the question is.... do you need to protect your dna from future pirates...
Lt. Trull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2010, 07:35 PM   #10
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Silent_Bob wrote: View Post
Personally i wouldn't buy a clone. Because if science fiction has taught us anything its that clones will eventually rise up against the breeders and kill us all.
And the military will be ready with their T-800's.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2010, 08:41 PM   #11
Truth_Seeker
Lieutenant Commander

Cloning animals as a solution to a possible food crisis is acceptable.

Cloning humans - hell no!
Old April 24 2010, 10:34 PM   #12
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

At first I thought, "of course - I'll clone Ben Browder. Or maybe Joe Flanigan."

Then it occurred to me that I'm getting a baby Ben Browder or Joe Flanigan clone, who I get to diaper, raise and pay for college. Not so sexy anymore!

So, the obvious thing to do is clone a kid who can make a boatload of money and support you in your old age. Clone Bill Gates or Tiger Woods!
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2010, 10:39 PM   #13
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Silent_Bob wrote: View Post
Myasishchev wrote: View Post
So basically, you literally want to go f*** yourself?
Isaac Asimov told me it was okay.

ProtoAvatar wrote:
Apparently, much of the human brain works on the quantum level.
Still a very arguable proposition at this point.

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote