Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old December 8 2009, 09:17 AM   #1
RichMerk
Captain

View RichMerk's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to RichMerk Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to RichMerk Send a message via Yahoo to RichMerk
WIP - Prospero Class

Does anyone know if anyone has ever done a ship design that is basically a "Miranda" version of the Daedalus class? I searched and searched but came up with zip. I have a fanfic concept that could use something like that.

I'm a noob at 3D, but I started building a model just to see how it would turn out.

RichMerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2009, 09:32 AM   #2
judge alba
senior street judge

Re: WIP - Prospero Class

cant say I've ever seen a Daedalus version of the Miranda but yours seems to bee to a good start
Firm as a mountain.
Strike as powerful as thunder.
judge alba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2009, 10:01 AM   #3
The Axeman
Commodore

For a 'noob' you've done a better job than many more experienced hobbyists. It's an odd looking thing, that's for sure, and I cant remember ever seeing anything like it before. I think you've got an original there.
Old December 8 2009, 11:39 AM   #4
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

What ^he^ said. An original and good work too.

You could round out the back end kinda like the 1701's fantail. Assuming the Daedalus had any kind of shuttle bay on it.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2009, 12:24 PM   #5
O'Dib
Commodore

Well here's a rough concept of the direction I think would be more aesthetically pleasing. I just subbed Miranda's saucer and nacelles with Daedalus's, so the gap in tech is obvious, but you get the idea.

Old December 8 2009, 05:11 PM   #6
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser

very cool
Old December 8 2009, 05:35 PM   #7
thesovereignman
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via AIM to thesovereignman

I like this I'm looking forward to seeing more, I love the 'bulb' ships
thesovereignman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2009, 05:37 PM   #8
thesovereignman
Lieutenant Commander

O'KRisMAs 3 wrote: View Post
Well here's a rough concept of the direction I think would be more aesthetically pleasing. I just subbed Miranda's saucer and nacelles with Daedalus's, so the gap in tech is obvious, but you get the idea.

I'd narrow the secondary(?) hull, it looks massive in that setup
Old December 8 2009, 07:41 PM   #9
The Axeman
Commodore

Yeah, the drawing looks like a flying wing more than a Deadalus anything. I'd stick with the original concept and see where it goes. I like the idea of a fantail rear though, it would round out that rear end a bit and make it match the front more.
Old December 8 2009, 11:02 PM   #10
RichMerk
Captain

View RichMerk's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to RichMerk Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to RichMerk Send a message via Yahoo to RichMerk

Heh, I never thought of that. Still... a little too "modern". The Daedalus always struck me as cylindrical, and this is too flat.

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
You could round out the back end kinda like the 1701's fantail. Assuming the Daedalus had any kind of shuttle bay on it.
I'm using the pictures in the Starfleet Museum as reference, and it's got a shuttle bay in those. I'm not quite sure I know what you mean by fantail... Which curve are you refering to?

Old December 8 2009, 11:09 PM   #11
thesovereignman
Lieutenant Commander

RichMerk wrote: View Post
Heh, I never thought of that. Still... a little too "modern". The Daedalus always struck me as cylindrical, and this is too flat.

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
I'm using the pictures in the Starfleet Museum as reference, and it's got a shuttle bay in those. I'm not quite sure I know what you mean by fantail... Which curve are you refering to?

I think he meant having a shuttle bay in the Enterprise style. your model in the first post had no shuttle bay at all. . .
Old December 8 2009, 11:12 PM   #12
O'Dib
Commodore

thesovereignman wrote: View Post

I'd narrow the secondary(?) hull, it looks massive in that setup
You're right. I also played around with increasing primary hull & nacelle size. Pulling the primary hull back into the second a little also seems to help. I haven't made a presentable version of those tests, though.
Old December 8 2009, 11:51 PM   #13
O'Dib
Commodore

Funny you should mention that, I pictured your miranda/daedalus cross idea as the design that first suggests saucers instead of balls. Here's an example, made this one from scratch, so it's not as detailed, but more along the lines of how I see it working out.

With time, the ball would move back into the middle of the saucer, with the parts protruding above becoming the bridge module, and the parts bellow becoming the phaser bedding/sensor array.
Old December 9 2009, 12:08 AM   #14
RichMerk
Captain

One could make a name for himself just by building all these Daedalus variants.

For now I'm going to stick with the original idea. These others can come later, and probably would be less of a pain to build because a lot of the parts could be reused.

I do plan on adding a hangar deck. Every picture I've ever seen has basically the same style, including the pictures of the actual models on Ex Astris Scientia. http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/ar...s-problems.htm
Old December 9 2009, 12:50 AM   #15
thesovereignman
Lieutenant Commander

Funny you should mention that, I pictured your miranda/daedalus cross idea as the design that first suggests saucers instead of balls. Here's an example, made this one from scratch, so it's not as detailed, but more along the lines of how I see it working out.

With time, the ball would move back into the middle of the saucer, with the parts protruding above becoming the bridge module, and the parts bellow becoming the phaser bedding/sensor array.

I still think that would be too big. The ball should be the biggest part of it, or else it looses it's Daedalusness.