Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old December 8 2009, 10:45 PM   #16
thesovereignman
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via AIM to thesovereignman
Re: Conjectural movie era uniforms

What kind of material would these be made with? For that matter, what kind of material would the TWOK uniforms be made of? I'm thinking about getting one of these made for myself.
thesovereignman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2009, 09:12 AM   #17
Flux Capacitor
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Flux Capacitor

Longinus wrote: View Post
These are variations for the early 24th century, before the TNG uniforms were adopted.

Officer's duty uniforms inspired by Kirk's Nexus vest. For these less fancy uniforms red has been phased out except for the senior officers. The red version of the coat is only worn by the captain and the first officer. Science and medical has again been combined under a single colour. Movie uniforms remain as formal wear.

These look awesome, especially the red one. I can actually see these in place of the First Contact/DS9 gray shouldered uniforms. I think I'd even prefer them.
Old December 9 2009, 09:36 AM   #18
MarianLH
Fleet Captain

Alternate jumpsuits. Mostly worn by enlisted personnel, but also on occasion by officers that find pockets handy, such as engineers.
I like these!

Marian

Half of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.
--Jim McCarthy.
MarianLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2009, 04:53 PM   #19
USS Jack Riley
Captain

These are variations for the early 24th century, before the TNG uniforms were adopted.

Officer's duty uniforms inspired by Kirk's Nexus vest. For these less fancy uniforms red has been phased out except for the senior officers. The red version of the coat is only worn by the captain and the first officer. Science and medical has again been combined under a single colour. Movie uniforms remain as formal wear.

Alternate jumpsuits. Mostly worn by enlisted personnel, but also on occasion by officers that find pockets handy, such as engineers.
I like the pocket idea. One thing I noticed from the early movies (original cast) was that Scotty had a sleeveless vest with a breast pocket for holding various tools. That might be another option for the engineering uniform.

YMMV

"Question: How many Imagineers does it take to change a light bulb?
Imagineer's Answer: Does it have to have a light bulb?"
USS Jack Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2009, 09:00 PM   #20
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

Would you consider making the grey jumpsuits in TWOK red, but using the color pattern of the original TNG jumpsuits? Could you also do the same for the two-piece uniforms?

I'd be interested in how both would look.

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
USS Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2009, 09:15 PM   #21
NickInABox
Captain

View NickInABox's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to NickInABox Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to NickInABox Send a message via Yahoo to NickInABox

These designs are sexy.
So goodbye, goodbye, goodbye
NickInABox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2009, 09:46 PM   #22
RapidNadion
Commander

I usually hate fan-made uniform designs ... but I really find all of these very attractive. They also fit well in the timeline between the TUC formality and the TNG jumpsuit explosion.
RapidNadion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2009, 10:30 PM   #23
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

I'd like to see the skant version.

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2009, 11:52 AM   #24
fleetcaptain
Fleet Captain

View fleetcaptain's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to fleetcaptain Send a message via Yahoo to fleetcaptain

So is this to tie into the new movie universe, as once the time goes through to the 24th century?
fleetcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2009, 01:12 PM   #25
Longinus
Commander

fleetcaptain wrote: View Post
So is this to tie into the new movie universe, as once the time goes through to the 24th century?
Hell no.
Longinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2009, 09:10 PM   #26
Icarus68954
Ensign

fleetcaptain wrote: View Post
Hell no.
Succinct reply, and seconded.

That being said, as much of a travesty as the new universe's plot is, the design work is frequently impressive, and it would be interesting to see someone's take on what the uniforms would look like later on. I've done a First Contact-era set by sort of combining the JJ-TOS uniform with the Prime-FC one, but I've not really thought the intervening evolution out.

On a related note, there are other sites that have suggested the Class-A/Class-B distinction before. Some have even gone so far as to suggest that the red "bomber jacket" worn by Scotty in Star Treks III and IV was the Class-B, although that makes less sense when one considers that we never actually saw it on anyone else. I always just sort of figured Scotty was going casual to give Starfleet a giant "screw you" for sticking him on Excelsior.
Icarus68954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2009, 09:17 PM   #27
RapidNadion
Commander

Icarus68954 wrote: View Post
On a related note, there are other sites that have suggested the Class-A/Class-B distinction before. Some have even gone so far as to suggest that the red "bomber jacket" worn by Scotty in Star Treks III and IV was the Class-B, although that makes less sense when one considers that we never actually saw it on anyone else. I always just sort of figured Scotty was going casual to give Starfleet a giant "screw you" for sticking him on Excelsior.
Did we see that jacket on Scotty before he was promoted to Captain? Kirk also wore that jacket in STV, but outside of his and Scotty's, you're right - we never saw them on anyone else. Could this be a Captain-only variant, similar to Picard's suede jacket from TNG?
RapidNadion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2009, 09:44 PM   #28
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

Didn't Admiral Morrow wear it at one point?

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2009, 09:46 PM   #29
Icarus68954
Ensign

RapidNadion wrote: View Post

Did we see that jacket on Scotty before he was promoted to Captain? Kirk also wore that jacket in STV, but outside of his and Scotty's, you're right - we never saw them on anyone else. Could this be a Captain-only variant, similar to Picard's suede jacket from TNG?
Did Kirk wear it? I thought it was just the vest (another thing we usually only see on various captains, I might add), but then again, it's been years since I've seen V, being as I am of the Roddenberry school-of-thought on that one ("Oh god, how could we make something that sucks this hard, it never happened, happy place, happy place...").

But it is perhaps a Captains-only thing. Certainly it was after Scotty's promotion, because that came with the transfer, although he may have been wearing it when the Enterprise pulled into Spacedock... hell, someone is probably going to have to check on that.
Icarus68954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2009, 10:49 PM   #30
Longinus
Commander

http://www.st-spike.org/images/unifo...78-2350/a1.jpg

This one here? Yes, Kirk wore it in Star Trek V. It was certainly one of the inspirations for the earlier class B, but in itself it does not really look like uniform meant for general use.

[Edit: link fixed]

Last edited by Longinus; December 11 2009 at 12:59 AM.
Longinus is offline   Reply With Quote