RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,785
Posts: 5,217,505
Members: 24,217
Currently online: 795
Newest member: davestar057

TrekToday headlines

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 1 2010, 06:00 PM   #1
JiNX-01
Admiral
 
JiNX-01's Avatar
 
Location: Under Cdr. Tucker
View JiNX-01's Twitter Profile
Photo of extra-solar planet

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ar-system.html

Now if we could just find E.T. ...
__________________
------------
Live as if you were to die tomorrow.
Learn as if you were to live forever.
-- Mahatma Gandhi --
JiNX-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2010, 06:40 PM   #2
T J
Commodore
 
T J's Avatar
 
Location: milky way... there abouts
Re: Photo of extra-solar planet

Now, it we could find something else other than a gas planet several times the size of Jupiter there would really be a story. Something approaching a "class M" planet. Small, rocky, water, something a bit more familiar. Maybe after they launch that telescope in 2015...
__________________
One of the great revelations of space exploration is
the image of the earth, finite and lonely bearing the entire human species through the oceans of space and time. ~ Carl Sagan (1934-1996)
T J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2010, 06:49 PM   #3
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral
 
Starbreaker's Avatar
 
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Re: Photo of extra-solar planet

Nibiru!!!!!
__________________
Currently Reading: The Abominable by Dan Simmons
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2010, 10:25 PM   #4
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Photo of extra-solar planet

It's from The Daily Mail, color me dubious.
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2010, 12:51 AM   #5
BolianAuthor
Writer, Battlestar Urantia
 
Location: Torrance, California
Send a message via AIM to BolianAuthor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BolianAuthor
Re: Photo of extra-solar planet

That is absolutely beautiful... thanks for sharing!

And we have found a rocky planet... Gliese 581.
BolianAuthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2010, 01:34 AM   #6
Tiberius
Commodore
 
Re: Photo of extra-solar planet

And let's not forget Gliese 876d.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2010, 03:22 PM   #7
FordSVT
Vice Admiral
 
FordSVT's Avatar
 
Location: Atlantic Canada
Re: Photo of extra-solar planet

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
It's from The Daily Mail, color me dubious.
You know, it would take you about the same amount of time you spent writing that to search and find this story all over the net. Don't be the lazy, knee-jerk critic just because you see the Daily Fail attached to it.

And it's just the fact that it's an optical photograph that's the story here, not that we've identified an extra-solar planet, we've found hundreds of them at this point as well as taken images of them through other means.
__________________
-FordSVT-
FordSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2010, 09:56 PM   #8
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Photo of extra-solar planet

FordSVT wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
It's from The Daily Mail, color me dubious.
You know, it would take you about the same amount of time you spent writing that to search and find this story all over the net. Don't be the lazy, knee-jerk critic just because you see the Daily Fail attached to it.

And it's just the fact that it's an optical photograph that's the story here, not that we've identified an extra-solar planet, we've found hundreds of them at this point as well as taken images of them through other means.
Or the OP could've linked to, you know, a credible source other than a tabloid newspaper.
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2010, 07:04 AM   #9
PurpleBuddha
Rear Admiral
 
PurpleBuddha's Avatar
 
Re: Photo of extra-solar planet

^ Why so hostile in a thread involving the picture of an extra solar planet?
__________________
We establish no religion in this country, we command no worship, we mandate no belief, nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate.

-Ronald Reagan
PurpleBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2010, 09:05 AM   #10
STR
Captain
 
STR's Avatar
 
Location: Out there. Thatta way.
Re: Photo of extra-solar planet

^Because they ran a story last week saying how this very same planet was trying to break up Brangelina and scoop up Mr. Pitt.
__________________
An egotist is someone more interested in himself than me.
STR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2010, 09:05 AM   #11
STR
Captain
 
STR's Avatar
 
Location: Out there. Thatta way.
Re: Photo of extra-solar planet

WTF! Double post? How does that happen in the year 2010?
__________________
An egotist is someone more interested in himself than me.
STR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2010, 06:19 PM   #12
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: Photo of extra-solar planet

STR wrote: View Post
WTF! Double post? How does that happen in the year 2010?
I think the internet is fighting back.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2010, 06:34 PM   #13
StolenThunder
Poster
 
StolenThunder's Avatar
 
Location: Scotland
Re: Photo of extra-solar planet

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
FordSVT wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
It's from The Daily Mail, color me dubious.
You know, it would take you about the same amount of time you spent writing that to search and find this story all over the net. Don't be the lazy, knee-jerk critic just because you see the Daily Fail attached to it.

And it's just the fact that it's an optical photograph that's the story here, not that we've identified an extra-solar planet, we've found hundreds of them at this point as well as taken images of them through other means.
Or the OP could've linked to, you know, a credible source other than a tabloid newspaper.
Just to perhaps clear things up - the Mail is a newspaper that has substantial and obvious political bias, combined with a little sensationalism when it comes to health reporting. Mostly they just like to panic.
StolenThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2010, 04:56 AM   #14
PurpleBuddha
Rear Admiral
 
PurpleBuddha's Avatar
 
Re: Photo of extra-solar planet

STR wrote: View Post
^Because they ran a story last week saying how this very same planet was trying to break up Brangelina and scoop up Mr. Pitt.
I figured as much. It is hard to find a planet without a hidden agenda these days.
__________________
We establish no religion in this country, we command no worship, we mandate no belief, nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate.

-Ronald Reagan
PurpleBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2010, 06:25 AM   #15
scnj
Captain
 
Re: Photo of extra-solar planet

STR wrote: View Post
^Because they ran a story last week saying how this very same planet was trying to break up Brangelina and scoop up Mr. Pitt.
Might be the borderline exhaustion but I laughed a lot.
scnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.