Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old December 5 2009, 12:07 AM   #1
Photon
Commodore

Michael Eddingtonnnnn....

I like the Eddington Arc but was he tried for treason? If he was and convicted I believe he should have been executed, perhaps the Feds had outlawed the death penalty, but a crime as serious as betrayal of the uniform should be met w/a more serious punishment than 20 to life.

BYW, what the crap happened to those holo-comms?
Photon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2009, 12:37 AM   #2
Pemmer Harge
Fleet Captain

Re: Michael Eddingtonnnnn....

Just watched For the Uniform? I love that episode. Wasn't it established in The Menagerie that the Federation only has the death penalty for one offence: travelling to Talos IV? Which made even less sense than having the death penalty for treason, but...
Old December 5 2009, 12:51 AM   #3
Bones
Commodore

Poor Eddington. All that pretty much killed the Sisko character for me, and he wasn't overly engaging or likeable to begin with.
I keep getting banned. If it happens again to the point of no return (and you miss me so much that you're off your food), I can still be found among the cool dudes of the Anorak Zone: http://anorakzoneforum.informe.com/forum/
It's No Gahy Test.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2009, 05:31 AM   #4
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Pemmer Harge wrote: View Post
...Wasn't it established in The Menagerie that the Federation only has the death penalty for one offence: travelling to Talos IV? Which made even less sense than having the death penalty for treason, but...
Yep, it was.

And, since the 24th century Federation was more evolved & understandin' a society, it doesn't make sense to have added the death penalty to other offenses.
Old December 5 2009, 06:48 AM   #5
Admiral Shran
Admiral

About the holo-comms....

They were invented for the episode "For The Uniform." The showrunners didn't think all the conversations between Sisko and Eddington would work via the standard viewscreen communication we're all used to. They thought it would be dramatic death to just have two guys looking at each other's heads for the whole episode.

I think they hoped it would catch on and replace the viewscreens, but it never worked for various reasons (both dramatic and production-wise). After two episodes, the holo-comms were dropped in favor of returning to the viewscreens.
Old December 5 2009, 06:42 PM   #6
nx1701g
Admiral

^ I also read somewhere that people found the Holocomms confusing and believed that Eddington had transported aboard the Defiant.
Old December 5 2009, 08:18 PM   #7
Lt.Cmdr.LaForge
Lieutenant Commander

The Eddington/sisko rivalry was really awesome imo. Eddington made a great antagonist. He died a heroic selfless death. Good story arc =]
Old December 6 2009, 07:10 AM   #8
Admiral Shran
Admiral

I didn't find them confusing, but I think the showrunners clearly feared that they were. For their second, and last, appearance in "Doctor Bashir, I Presume," the admiral using one was lighted in a clear blue light. Probably done to make it "clear" that he actually wasn't there, but just his holoprojection.
Old December 6 2009, 07:28 AM   #9
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Photon wrote: View Post
I like the Eddington Arc but was he tried for treason?
Probably. More than most of the Maquis, his actions could have personally led to war with Cardassia. He deserved to spend the rest of his life in prison. He got an 'easy' death.

Not only that, but in general he was a jackass and a narcissist.
Old December 6 2009, 11:40 PM   #10
hofner
Commodore

Actually, Eddington was sentenced to a fate worse than death: thousands of hours of therapy with a Federation counselor..

No wonder he was so happy to die in "Blaze Of Glory".

Robert
hofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2009, 11:43 PM   #11
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Eddington's speech where he compares the Federation to the Borg is one of the best pieces of writing in all of ST, IMO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRxPjJ8VlyE
Old December 7 2009, 12:06 AM   #12
Admiral Shran
Admiral

Being sentenced to thousands of hours with a Federation counselor wouldn't be so bad, as long as her name wasn't Troi.

I don't know if he was tried for treason, but he clearly should have been. He used his position as a Starfleet officer to aid a terrorist group. Other Maquis, like Chakotay, resigned their commissions before joining the group. If Eddington had done the same, I would have liked the character much more.
Old December 8 2009, 02:56 PM   #13
Timo
Admiral

I don't get this hate towards Eddington. He used disguise and pretense like Tuvok or Odo in order to win hopeless battles like Kira, often making fools of Starfleet like Kirk did. Sure, he was on the other side - the non-hero side and, perhaps more importantly, the losing side. But that never stopped the fans from cheering for villains like Khan or Harry Mudd or Lore. And in the end, he probably achieved more than any of those fellow evildoers, raising the Maquis movement to prominence and basically eliminating Starfleet or the Cardassians as a threat to it. The movement got what it wanted, that is, sovereign control of the colonies, until the Dominion came, saw and annihilated. What could be more to our liking than a successful villain?

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2009, 03:00 PM   #14
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

As for the Borg thing: I must have missed the part where the Federation forces members to join against their will, or destroys entire planets and spacefleets.

Timo wrote: View Post
What could be more to our liking than a successful villain?
One that fails, as they deserve.
Old December 11 2009, 06:19 PM   #15
ToddKent
Captain

View ToddKent's Twitter Profile

Eddington was blinded by his own arrogance. He whines about the Maquis being hunted and harassed by Starfleet but doesn't mention that they regularly stole Federation resources, attacked Federation citizens and broke Federation laws to conduct their war. Of course Starfleet was going to come after them.

He was a great villain though.
ToddKent is offline   Reply With Quote