RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,667
Members: 24,818
Currently online: 432
Newest member: Thomas Eugene

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 4 2009, 12:29 AM   #31
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: So Black Hole is officially being remade by Disney?

Santa Claus wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Pick up the pace!!!! It was like being trapped in the event horizon!

I still remember the music though. When ever something is slow I begin humming it.
Oh yes. I hope they keep the music. I think it was absolutely perfect for that movie. I wouldn't change that one bit, and I hope they don't.

As for the rest of the movie, I love it despite it's faults. Maximillian Schell is just brilliant as Reinhardt, and Maximilian the robot is crazy evil and STILL sends shivers up my spine.

And who doesn't love Ernest Borgnine? Who I ask you?!

J.
Shelly Winters.<Scratch that. I mean Ethel Merman
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.

Last edited by Nerys Myk; December 4 2009 at 06:20 AM.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2009, 05:40 AM   #32
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

FredH wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I hope they keep the 'hell' scene. How many other films have you seen where you actually get to see the bad guy get what's coming to him at the end?
In that case, who's the flowy guy in the heavenly cathedral?
It was Frank McCrae (Kate's father), who had - in life - been trapped inside of Maximilian; Frank's brain was used as the "A.I." for the big robot. Reinhardt did this because Frank led the Cygnus crew in mutiny against him, and Reinhardt wanted revenge.

The angelic being we see is actually the soul of Frank being released and sent to his final reward in Heaven.

we see the Cygnus' robotified crew in "Hell," but why would they be there?
Part of Reinhardt's punishment, most likely. The humanoids aren't really there, probably just the bodies wandering around mindlessly (the souls having passed on to Heaven like Frank did). So Reinhardt gets to 'rule' over a 'kingdom' of empty shells.

Joel_Kirk wrote: View Post
Was Reinhardt and Maxmillian made into one being? Or....what?
Again: part of Reinhardt's eternal punishment. In life, Reinhardt trapped Frank McCrae inside Maximilian because the robot needed an A.I. So in hell, Reinhardt is forced to spend eternity in the same 'prison'. And since Reinhardt's ambition was to wield power (in life), his punishment in hell is to stand on top of the mountain and only watch - not be able to actually DO anything.

Or, to put it another way: Maximilian Schell plays a character who, at the end of the film, is trapped...in Maximilian's shell.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Last edited by Mr. Laser Beam; December 5 2009 at 02:47 AM.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2009, 10:22 PM   #33
Joel_Kirk
Commodore

^^

Very interesting...!
Old December 5 2009, 02:03 AM   #34
Dark Gilligan
Writer

Davros wrote: View Post
What's next for Disney, a remake of Snowball Express or The Computer Who Wore Tennis Shoes?
A remake of Computer might actually be fun. I'd watch it.
Old December 5 2009, 03:40 AM   #35
The Castellan
Commodore

Send a message via Yahoo to The Castellan

FredH wrote: View Post
I hope they keep the 'hell' scene. How many other films have you seen where you actually get to see the bad guy get what's coming to him at the end?
In that case, who's the flowy guy in the heavenly cathedral?
It was Frank McCrae (Kate's father), who had - in life - been trapped inside of Maximilian; Frank's brain was used as the "A.I." for the big robot. Reinhardt did this because Frank led the Cygnus crew in mutiny against him, and Reinhardt wanted revenge.

The angelic being we see is actually the soul of Frank being released and sent to his final reward in Heaven.

Part of Reinhardt's punishment, most likely. The humanoids aren't really there, probably just the bodies wandering around mindlessly (the souls having passed on to Heaven like Frank did). So Reinhardt gets to 'rule' over a 'kingdom' of empty shells.

Again: part of Reinhardt's eternal punishment. In life, Reinhardt trapped Frank McCrae inside Maximilian because the robot needed an A.I. So in hell, Reinhardt is forced to spend eternity in the same 'prison'. And since Reinhardt's ambition was to wield power (in life), his punishment in hell is to stand on top of the mountain and only watch - not be able to actually DO anything.

Or, to put it another way: Maximilian Schell plays a character who, at the end of the film, is trapped...in Maximilian's shell.
I always looked upon that as Maxxy actually finding what he wants, since his arms were outstretched in triumph, it looked like.

I'm somewhere in between... I only saw it recently and liked it better than I thought I would. The acting's rather wooden but the effects hold up surprisingly well. The ending is as silly as ever.
You just described the Star Wars films there.
The Castellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2009, 11:49 AM   #36
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I loved The Black Hole as a kid and ranked it up there close to Star Wars at the time (I even remember getting all the action figures and both the photo and audio storybooks).

I thought the ending was pretty neat, although a lot of the symbolism was lost on me until I saw it again many years later.

Any kind of remake is likely to crank up the action quotient several degrees with the worst-case scenario being a PG-rated "Die Hard In Space," IMO...
Old December 5 2009, 06:09 PM   #37
Santaman
Rear Admiral

^^ Yippee ki-yay, robof#cker?

LOL
Old December 6 2009, 12:30 AM   #38
payndz201
Commodore

The Black Hole is one of my not-entirely-guilty pleasures. It's not an especially good movie, but there's still a lot to admire about it in terms of production design, effects, cool (if scientifically ludicrous) imagery and overall concepts. Considering some of the real-life robots we've seen coming from Japan, the 'cutesy' designs of Vincent and Bob now seem perfectly reasonable. If you're going to be cooped up in a tin can for months on end with a robot, would you want it to be small and friendly and rounded like Vincent, or hulking and scowling and equipped with sharp blades like Maximillian?

It also had great wirework (out of the entire film, the number of shots where wires are visible on the robots is literally a handful), and I always loved the neon laser effects - the glowing aesthetic of the animation as a whole, in fact. The film had a very distinctive, non-Star Wars-y look... which was rather ironic, since Disney were hoping it would be their Star Wars.
payndz201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2009, 12:40 AM   #39
The Castellan
Commodore

Send a message via Yahoo to The Castellan

They BETTER keep the Cygnuss looking the same, that ship was quite a piece of work, inside and out. Maxmillion was a ansty robot, in a good way, he had no legs, but could move about anywhere, so having to fight that monster would be difficult, to say the least.

I'm just curious how Reinhart got into Max's body, anyhow. We just saw him holding the robot in his hands, and then we see his eyes in the visor.
The Castellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2009, 02:15 AM   #40
Christopher
Writer

The Castellan wrote: View Post
I'm just curious how Reinhart got into Max's body, anyhow. We just saw him holding the robot in his hands, and then we see his eyes in the visor.
That scene either a) took place in Hell, so that it was a supernatural merging of Reinhardt and Maximillian, or b) was a hallucination, so that the merging was symbolic.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2009, 05:09 AM   #41
MeanJoePhaser
Admiral

Santaman wrote: View Post
^^ Yippee ki-yay, robof#cker?

LOL
"I think he's an astrocop."

"What makes you think that?"

"Things he said, like being able to spot bad a.i."

"Christ, he could be a f#ckin' computer programmer!"

and...

"Hanz, did you have to blow up the whole spaceship?!"

"If you steal a billion dollar spaceship they will find you unless they think you are already dead."
MeanJoePhaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2009, 12:12 AM   #42
Holoaddict
Commodore

I would also be interested in a remake, with a few conditions

1. They should keep B.O.B, V.I.N.C.E.N.T and Maximilian (Especially Maximillian)!

2.They should keep the music. The opening music was the first thing that came to mind when I saw this thread. Check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTuKQEJErGg

Last edited by Holoaddict; December 7 2009 at 08:54 PM.
Holoaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2009, 12:17 AM   #43
Harvey
Admiral

Barry's score is certainly a classic. I haven't even seen the film (yet), but I'm well aware of the score (especially the main theme).

Actually, why not just bring back John Barry? He hasn't worked since Enigma in 2001, but perhaps he could be brought out of retirement?

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2009, 03:47 AM   #44
MeanJoePhaser
Admiral

Again: part of Reinhardt's eternal punishment. In life, Reinhardt trapped Frank McCrae inside Maximilian because the robot needed an A.I..
Based on what I read elsewhere, there's no evidence that interpretation has any basis in the story at all. Not sure where the "Maximillian's brain was Frank McCrae's" came from. All the security robots have a.i., apparently not using human brains. Maximillain was more advanced a.i.

Another, more far fetched theory is that Maximillian was the real Reinhardt (his brain inside, because he'd have died of old age otherwise) and the human Reinhardt was a copy clone or robot...what the fuck was the person smoking when they came up with that one?

The other theory, that while the bad side of Reinhardt went to hell, the good side of Reinhardt went to heaven (he was the "angel" seen). HUH?
MeanJoePhaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2009, 03:56 AM   #45
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

MeanJoePhaser wrote: View Post
Not sure where the "Maximillian's brain was Frank McCrae's" came from.
I agree it's speculation, but it does make sense. We already know that Frank tried to lead a mutiny against Reinhardt. So using Frank's brain for Maximilian would seem to be entirely within Reinhardt's character.

All the security robots have a.i., apparently not using human brains. Maximillain was more advanced a.i.
Then again, there's no proof that S.T.A.R., his troops, or Maximilian himself *weren't* simply lobotomized humans just like the rest of the Cygnus' crew... If the technology existed to lobotomize the crew, it probably also exists to use the extracted minds for computer AI's (which may yield 'better' such minds than if the robots simply had computer brains of their own).

The other theory, that while the bad side of Reinhardt went to hell, the good side of Reinhardt went to heaven (he was the "angel" seen). HUH?
I don't see how that could be possible either. Reinhardt clearly had NO good side.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote