TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 2 2009, 10:40 PM   #16
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Re: So Black Hole is officially being remade by Disney?

It's interesting to note that a Disney kids' movie had a cast made up mainly of 40+year olds. And a cast that included Ernest Borgnine, Anthony Perkins, Maximillian Schmell and the voice of Roddy McDowall. Apart from the cutesy wannabe 3PO & R2 robots, there's very little pandering to kids in it. Even the other robots are some sort of zombies and then there's that daring ending. Can't see that going into a modern movie.

Despite that, the great (for its day) SFX, lovely designs (the ship especially) and a score by John Barry, the original is less than the sum of its parts. Great ideas in it, to be sure, but not too well realised. I think it's a good movie to remake, insofar as you take the Steven Soderbergh and Ocean's 11 approach - don't remake a classic, remake a movie that can be improved on. If they did this as an adult-orientated movie, in the vein of Sunshine, it could be really interesting.
Old December 2 2009, 11:20 PM   #17
Christopher
Writer

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
It's interesting to note that a Disney kids' movie had a cast made up mainly of 40+year olds.
It wasn't a kids' movie. It was Disney's first attempt to branch out into more adult fare -- the sort of thing that they eventually created the Touchstone Films label for. Quite a big deal was made at the time of how this was Disney's first PG-rated film, complete with violence and cuss words and scary stuff. (PG was a bigger deal back then in the days before PG-13 ratings existed and G ratings acquired a box-office-death stigma. These days, even a lot of kids' movies get one or two cuss words slipped in to get a PG, and the more intense films get PG-13, so we aren't surprised to see a PG rating on a kids' film. But in 1979, "Parental Guidance Suggested" actually meant something.)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2009, 11:34 PM   #18
Joel_Kirk
Rear Admiral

^^

I was wondering it is viewed as a kid's movie myself....

You usually don't have a robot(Maximillian) drilling into someone (Anthony Perkins' character) in a kids movie...

On that same note, I always wonder when people call 'The Incredibles' a kids movie, when there are so many things that were 'adult' in that film....a reason, I like it so much.
Old December 3 2009, 12:19 AM   #19
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

I hope they keep the 'hell' scene. How many other films have you seen where you actually get to see the bad guy get what's coming to him at the end?
Old December 3 2009, 12:37 AM   #20
Christopher
Writer

Joel_Kirk wrote: View Post
On that same note, I always wonder when people call 'The Incredibles' a kids movie, when there are so many things that were 'adult' in that film....a reason, I like it so much.
Well, the best kids' stories don't talk down to kids. But I think Pixar's movies tend to be family films in the truest sense of the word -- not just kiddie pictures that adults have to sit through, but films that have appeal to family members of all ages.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2009, 03:02 AM   #21
QuasarVM
Fleet Captain

No, I definitely would not call The Black Hole a kid's movie...not that kid's can't enjoy it. Hell, when I was a kid I liked Logan's Run -- but that clearly was not a kid's movie either...
QuasarVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2009, 03:07 AM   #22
RAMA
Vice Admiral

I definitely approve of a remake! I'd rather the story dealt more with the black hole itself and what it represented than the story of a mad scientist.

RAMA
Old December 3 2009, 03:25 AM   #23
MeanJoePhaser
Admiral

I remember reading some online review of the movie where the writer goes into the film's religious symbolism says the Palimino represents the true path to god. Or some craziness...I mean...way too read much into a somewhat crappy movie.

Yvette Mimieux was not very appealling. NUMBER #4 RULE OF SCI-FI MOVIES: The chick has to be appealling.

Actually on some level THE BLACK HOLE was intriguing, because Star Wars revolutionized space fantasy by borrowing pop culture sources and making them seem fresh. THE BLACK HOLE, even though pretty dark, was a Forbidden Planet-esque 1950's throwback in structure. Star Wars was an intro to the future of sci-fi films; The Black Hole was kind of dated even before it was released.
MeanJoePhaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2009, 06:30 AM   #24
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

RAMA wrote: View Post
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/43246

CHANGE the ending!!

RAMA
What the frak, I don't even know what the ending is supposed to be!

I vaguely remember this movie...I must have fallen asleep...pretty sure Disney can do better...
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2009, 01:32 PM   #25
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

I LOVE the Black Hole. Admittedly the cutesy robots have dated a lot but I was a big fan of VINCENT and BOB when I was a kid - and I loved the action figure line too. The opening scene when they first discover the derelict is my favourite - with a fair bit of science and that really somber music.

The crew would be more interesting if made more 3D like the crew in Firefly and Dr McCrae was meant to be a scientist but was pretty much just 'the girl'. She evidenced no real scientific knowledge at all, which wsa why nobody noticed any difference after her brain got turned to swiss cheese. I liked the fact that some of the crew got offed as well. Dr Durant's death was pretty grim for a children's movie.

I read the novel years ago. The ending was a bit more abstract - more 2001 - the crew are crushed by the Black Hole but they somehow live on as a collective consciousness. Not much room for a sequel in there...
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2009, 01:40 PM   #26
Santa Claus
Digitally Assisted

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Pick up the pace!!!! It was like being trapped in the event horizon!

I still remember the music though. When ever something is slow I begin humming it.
Oh yes. I hope they keep the music. I think it was absolutely perfect for that movie. I wouldn't change that one bit, and I hope they don't.

As for the rest of the movie, I love it despite it's faults. Maximillian Schell is just brilliant as Reinhardt, and Maximilian the robot is crazy evil and STILL sends shivers up my spine.

And who doesn't love Ernest Borgnine? Who I ask you?!

J.

❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2009, 04:07 PM   #27
FredH
Captain

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I hope they keep the 'hell' scene. How many other films have you seen where you actually get to see the bad guy get what's coming to him at the end?
In that case, who's the flowy guy in the heavenly cathedral? In 1979/80, I assumed that Reinhard's shaggy-haired evil side had gone to Black Hole Hell*, but his shaggy-haired good, de-crazified side had gone to Black Hole Heaven.

* Which doesn't really work: we see the Cygnus' robotified crew in "Hell," but why would they be there?
FredH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2009, 08:53 PM   #28
Alpha_Geek
Commodore

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Pick up the pace!!!! It was like being trapped in the event horizon!
Whatever the pace, The Black Hole was like being trapped in a theater showing Event Horizon.

...or was it vice versa?
Old December 3 2009, 09:04 PM   #29
Joel_Kirk
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Joel_Kirk wrote: View Post
Well, the best kids' stories don't talk down to kids.
Very true...

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I didn't get that scene:

Was Reinhardt and Maxmillian made into one being? Or....what?
Old December 3 2009, 10:11 PM   #30
Santaman
Rear Admiral

In any case I hope they don't change the design of Maximillian, there's no other robot so damn sinister looking.. also Cygnus was a magnificent design.