Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 3 2009, 12:29 AM   #16
Othello
Commodore

Re: Smallville Better or Worse?

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I agree that Season five and six are probably the highlights for me too. Tess is an intriguing villain on the show though because she knows about Clark, wants to help Clark but is going on about the wrong way. Tess seems like Luthor lite in some ways, considering that she's his protege. There isn't really a villain for Clark right now since Lex has left. If only the producers could get around the bald cap/shaving head problem we would see Michael back on the show.

Personally I think Rosenbaum should get over having a bald head. Have you seen the guy with hair if it has any length to it? He looks like a goof.

I don't think I've ever seen a worse head of hair than him in Urban Legend.
Othello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2009, 12:51 AM   #17
startrekwatcher
Rear Admiral

It drove me away in season 5 and I have only seen the random episode over the years but from what I can tell it has gotten even worse except for the big event episodes.

Like so many shows on the CW, studio interference trying to appeal to a certain demographic and overall poor writing has just crippled this show.
startrekwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2009, 03:40 AM   #18
gastrof
Rear Admiral

DarKush wrote: View Post
I agree with most of Christopher's post but I've got to ask, where is the character richness and depth with Major Zod? I know the episode with Jor-El revealed a bit of his past regarding his son...
Ah yes, Zod's son.

Didn't Faora, when she was inhabiting Lois' body, say that she and Zod couldn't HAVE children of their own, which is in part why they included their own DNA when creating Davis?
Old December 3 2009, 03:44 AM   #19
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Yes Faora did indeed say that...I have always thought that Davis wasn't created so they could have a heir of their own but to harness Doomsday, as part of their plan. That was part of his tragedy, Davis was always a pawn and had no life to himself.

I'm curious if by the end of the season Zod discovers the Fortress of Solitude and tries to release his phantom self only to be possessed by Zod?

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2009, 07:37 PM   #20
Jetfire

^
What if M. Zod becomes a vessel for G. Zod and Tess the Vessel for Faora?

I doubt it but...I remember seeing something about the fortress in Lois's first dreams of the future which I didn't see in Pandora.
Old December 8 2009, 02:42 AM   #21
Cartoonist
Captain

DarKush wrote: View Post
I agree with most of Christopher's post but I've got to ask, where is the character richness and depth with Major Zod? I know the episode with Jor-El revealed a bit of his past regarding his son, and I could see how that added to the Jor-El/Zod dynamic, but I don't see elsewhere where the character has been developed all that much.

Or rather to be honest, I'm not too pleased in the directions the writers have taken him in. I don't necessarily see that as development. The awkward flirtations with Tess and then making him a generic corporate type villain, that doesn't work for me. It seems beneath Zod, well Terrence Stamp's Zod from Superman 2.

Davis was a complex and interesting dark character, but Zod seems like a one-note stock villian.
I think his complexity is more potential than actual at the moment. They've foreshadowed that the way to defeat him is to save him from himself, meaning there's something more than this vengeful, power-hungry persona we're seeing.

And to me, this character as written and acted is a lot LESS one-note than Terrence Stamp's Zod. Stamp's Zod was a megolomaniac. Nothing more, nothing less. And they never even bothered to give him a motive.

I've enjoyed Smallville a lot more since the new showrunners took over. I agree with those who think "Red-Blue Blur" is ridiculous, though.
Cartoonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2009, 02:54 AM   #22
Christopher
Writer

^You're right about Zod, and it's as much a matter of the difference between movies and series TV as anything else. A villain in a 2-hour flick can be pretty simplistic, but if you have him for a whole season, you need enough complexity to get a couple of dozen stories out of.

And mercifully the "Red-Blue" part was dropped at the start of the season, which the switch to the black outfit. He's just "The Blur" now -- which isn't really that bad a superhero name. I mean, it's no worse than "The Flash."

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2009, 03:58 AM   #23
StarshipDefiant
Captain

This show has some decent moments, I think the core problem is the original show runners had stupid 'rules'. I can get not wanting him to fly right away, and him not having the costume, but then he shouldn't have been on the path to flight in the first two seasons like he was (in my opinion anway). It probably would have served if the show did not last as long as it has, because considering everything he can do, and has done the fact he cannot fly (this is from the last I know, I've not watched it consistently for the last few years) just seems stupid (unless some reason was given?) to me.

A lot of the freak of the week stuff probably also diluted things some, he should have faced some real challenges that would have set him towards becoming the man he's supposed to be early on.

It's hard for me to really explain what I mean, I guess...there's just something...odd.
StarshipDefiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2009, 06:08 AM   #24
Christopher
Writer

StarshipDefiant wrote: View Post
This show has some decent moments, I think the core problem is the original show runners had stupid 'rules'. I can get not wanting him to fly right away, and him not having the costume, but then he shouldn't have been on the path to flight in the first two seasons like he was (in my opinion anway).
Yeah. What's really silly is that he was shown levitating in his sleep in the first or second episode, and then that was never revisited.

It probably would have served if the show did not last as long as it has, because considering everything he can do, and has done the fact he cannot fly (this is from the last I know, I've not watched it consistently for the last few years) just seems stupid (unless some reason was given?) to me.
He still can't fly, but he can leap tall buildings in a single bound. So as far as locomotion goes, he's pretty much where the comic-book Superman was in 1938.

They've touched on his inability to fly, but haven't offered any clear explanation for it. Personally, I think it's an aftereffect of growing up in an environment that's absolutely littered with kryptonite. I mean, that's the equivalent of a human growing up on top of a plutonium deposit. In addition to his near-weekly exposure to kryptonite as seen on the show, he must be constantly ingesting, imbibing, and inhaling trace amounts of the stuff as long as he lives in Smallville. I'm expecting the poor guy to come down with super-leukemia eventually.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2009, 07:22 AM   #25
drychlick
Captain

i think it better but this year should be his last time to become superman

Last edited by drychlick; December 8 2009 at 07:24 AM. Reason: spelling
drychlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2009, 07:30 AM   #26
StarshipDefiant
Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
This show has some decent moments, I think the core problem is the original show runners had stupid 'rules'. I can get not wanting him to fly right away, and him not having the costume, but then he shouldn't have been on the path to flight in the first two seasons like he was (in my opinion anway).
Yeah. What's really silly is that he was shown levitating in his sleep in the first or second episode, and then that was never revisited.

It probably would have served if the show did not last as long as it has, because considering everything he can do, and has done the fact he cannot fly (this is from the last I know, I've not watched it consistently for the last few years) just seems stupid (unless some reason was given?) to me.
He still can't fly, but he can leap tall buildings in a single bound. So as far as locomotion goes, he's pretty much where the comic-book Superman was in 1938.

They've touched on his inability to fly, but haven't offered any clear explanation for it. Personally, I think it's an aftereffect of growing up in an environment that's absolutely littered with kryptonite. I mean, that's the equivalent of a human growing up on top of a plutonium deposit. In addition to his near-weekly exposure to kryptonite as seen on the show, he must be constantly ingesting, imbibing, and inhaling trace amounts of the stuff as long as he lives in Smallville. I'm expecting the poor guy to come down with super-leukemia eventually.
You actually make an excellent point there (that might sound more harsh then I mean), he is exposed to it quite often. Perhaps that could be used to explain why he cannot fly, and to an extent why it'd take a rather large source of it at once to 'expose' him to Kryptonite, when I've seen other versions be brought down by like, a sliver of it.

It still doesn't change the fact that throughout season one (such as the sleep levitation you mentioned) and season two (most notably, his description of being inside the twister) he was hinted to be on a path to flight. It'd be easier to swallow if he hadn't had all of his other powers by... what was it, season three? If that late?
StarshipDefiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2009, 01:07 AM   #27
Cartoonist
Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post

I think they've tried to make it clear it's all in his mind. Kara pretty much told him the only reason he can't fly is that he thinks he can't fly. Wasn't there an episode where Zod or Brainiac or someone took over Clark's body and was able to fly in it?
Cartoonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2009, 02:09 AM   #28
Rowan Sjet
Commodore

No episodes like that, but there was a Phantom that basically cloned his body and became Smallville's version of Bizzaro. That one could fly. And there's the episode where Jor-El reprograms Clark to be Kal-El, and he can fly then.
Old December 9 2009, 06:05 AM   #29
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Jor-El reprogrammed Clark into Kal-El and he flew at the beginning of season three I believe. The other episode in season seven where Kara tries to teach Clark to fly, she also mentions something I think about his emotional state. It might've been a reference to Peter Pan about thinking happy thoughts!

Christopher's suggestion about the over expsoure to Kryptonite would make for a pretty interesting explaination in show why he can't fly. I read an interiew with one of the proudcuers earlier this season where Jor-El was going to address that, I think it was supposed to be brought up in this season's premire but I can't remember if it was or not. Jor-El just went on on about severing his ties with Lois.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2009, 11:12 AM   #30
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Cartoonist,

I agree that Major Zod's potential hasn't been actualized. But I think Stamp's Zod had a pretty clear movitation. He wanted to rule Krypton. When he was thwarted by that, and sent to the Phantom Zone, with Jor-El casting the deciding vote, he wanted revenge. He wanted power and revenge. His motivation was pretty simple and direct. And I think Stamp played him perfectly, cold, imperious, a tactician, but at the same time his anger and need for revenge, his arrogance got the best of him. Stamp exuded menace and power. I could buy him leading an army, and damn sure, leading a military coup. With Major Zod, there are threads-with the lost son-that could lead to something interesting, and take Zod in different directions. But for the most part, Callum Blue has played Zod pretty one-note as well. But without the commanding presence of Stamp.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote