IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old December 23 2009, 05:23 PM   #46
Cmndr J Crichton
Commodore

Re: Karate Kid remake - production photos released.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/ The teaser is out! Click on the link to the right of the page. My god, it looks horrible. The only good thing that might come of this is a release of the originals on Blu Ray. Did we really need a Star Wars reference in this? The original came out a year after Jedi was released, and didn't rely on pop culture references. So they went from Wax on, Wax off to Jacket on, to Jacket off? So many jokes...must...resist...urge....
Old December 23 2009, 05:26 PM   #47
Kibbin
Fleet Captain

I've gotta say that from the trailer it doesn't look that bad, didn't like the music in the background but then that's not my cupt o' tea.
It does seem a bit odd to be going to china to do this but then it will set it apart from the first movie and make it at least a little bit different.
I didn't mind the jacket on, jacket off thing. It's no different from wax on wax off in terms of cheese and seems to become apparant much earlier on so we don't get such a long drawn out 'this guys and idiot and doesn't know what he's doing' bit.
Old December 23 2009, 05:27 PM   #48
Kegg
Rear Admiral

DeMille made many films twice. One even three times, IIRC (The Squaw Man or whatever, I'd have to look it up.)

Hitchcock remade The Man Who Knew Too Much. And so on and so forth.

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
I'm sick of seeing less original fare. As another said are they really going to remake everything from '39-'89 that had/has a built in name recognition?
Again, aren't you a fan of comic book movies? That's pretty much the same deal, only not with movies. I cannot wrap my head around someone being so fundamentally opposed to unoriginality in Hollywood but wanting Batman, Iron Man, Plastic Man, etc. films.

I honestly do not understand the logic of this. Even if you'd argue these stories are worthwhile to add to the screen, it can't be asserted that such movies are original in the same way you accuse Avatar of being unoriginal (Iron Man is basically note-for-note every other comic book movie of the past decade, plus a little Bond.)

So, what do you want? Really now?
Seems so. Short Circuit is even being redone. Predator is shooting now. Robocop has been in redevelopment the last few years.

Heck Avatar
...is a completely different kettle of fish.

It's an original film in the sense it has no previous brand identity, like all those remakes do. You know, in the way Battlestar Galactica is the opposite of Avatar, it uses brand name value to make something very different from the previous show and carve out its own particular niche of sci-fi TV.

On topic:
I dimly remember the Karate Kid, but not enough to want to watch this.
Old December 23 2009, 05:37 PM   #49
Cmndr J Crichton
Commodore

It seems like the studio execs thought we wouldn't notice the anomaly of a movie called The Karate Kid set in China. The just said, 'Screw it! Call it the Karate Kid, and it'll make money!' It might've had a chance when they were going to call it 'The Kung Fu Kid', but by changing the name, millions of people like me are going to not see it, if they haven't already made that decision before the title change. What would've made sense, is having Ralph Machio be the teacher of a troubled kid, making a sequel to Karate Kid III. The movie could've opened with the death of Mr. Myagi, leaving Daniel taking care of his final wishes. It could've been a great tribute to the series, but it turned into 'Daddy, I want a starring role!' situation.

So the day this movie comes out, I'm staying home, and watching the original.
Old December 23 2009, 05:42 PM   #50
Dusty Ayres
Commodore

Dennis wrote: View Post
DeMille made "The Ten Commandments" twice.
There you go. And MGM made Rose Mariethree times as a showcase for different singers/actors. Not to mention the three versions of Night Must Fall, or the second version of Cat People (I'd love to see a third version where the cat thing is actually a super solider whose killing instinct is triggered by the sexual act) or the two other versions of King Kong.

Cmndr J Crichton wrote: View Post
The movie could've opened with the death of Mr. Myagi, leaving Daniel taking care of his final wishes. It could've been a great tribute to the series, but it turned into 'Daddy, I want a starring role!' situation.
How do you know that Jaden bugged his daddy to get him the part in this movie?

It's possible that he auditioned for it, or was recommended.

Last edited by Dusty Ayres; December 24 2009 at 04:16 AM.
Dusty Ayres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2009, 05:47 PM   #51
Jetfire

Kung-Fu Kid would be better.
Old December 23 2009, 06:18 PM   #52
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

People need to make peace with the idea that everything will be remade eventually, it makes things much easier. Any movie over 25 years old is going to be especially ripe for consideration, I mean that's a "golden oldie" now.

Doesn't mean you have to endorse the film, heck, I'm still on the fence about going back to Kirk and Spock but rallying against remakes on principle alone seems futile. Just don't go see those films.

This one seems to be taking a different path than the original one did, a lot more with the Asian culture from the looks of it. It looks like Jackie is finally settling into getting older and taking more appropriate roles, some of his later films were really streching things.

Jetfire wrote: View Post
Kung-Fu Kid would be better.
I think that title has a good ring to it too but I guess that name recognition thing is too much.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2009, 06:28 PM   #53
Jetfire

It would have been cool to get Hilary Swank in the movie.

I liked her in The Next Karate Kid.
Old December 23 2009, 07:14 PM   #54
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

I don't get why this isn't set in Japan. It makes no sense.

Hell, cast Jackie Chan as a Japanese person... it's not like most people can tell the difference anyway.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2009, 08:09 PM   #55
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Meh.

I'll probably watch it eventually once it's on the movie channels and I haven't anything better to do.
Old December 23 2009, 08:13 PM   #56
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Hell, I'll go see a remake of Short Circuit - the original wasn't all that good, but the premise is entertaining.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2009, 09:20 PM   #57
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

The little "girl" friend in the bottom picture looks like she could take on this keep and sweep the floor with him.
Old December 23 2009, 10:49 PM   #58
Jax
Admiral

The trailer was ok but Jaden Smith looks too young and small for the part IMO. Also was Jackie Chan fighting Children in one scene
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2009, 11:07 PM   #59
Joel_Kirk
Commodore

This looks pretty interesting.

I noticed Rongguang Yu, an actor who shows up at lot in Hong Kong flicks, in a clip...

I'm still wondering why it will go on to be called 'The Karate Kid' if they are in Beijing, but I'm still open to how everything will eventually turn out...
Joel_Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2009, 04:23 AM   #60
Dusty Ayres
Commodore

Samuel Walters wrote: View Post
More importantly, when will we see a remake of The Goonies?
We were supposed to get a sequel, with the originals as adults watching over their kids getting involved in a new adventure, but that never came off.
Dusty Ayres is offline   Reply With Quote