TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 1 2009, 11:24 AM   #1
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Slight update on The Hobbit movies

Story here.

It boils down to possibly not seeing these till after than 2011 & 2012.

Still not sure why they feel they need to split this into 2 movies (other than greed of course ).
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2009, 06:50 PM   #2
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Re: Slight update on The Hobbit movies

Honestly, if its done right I welcome two movies. 2 hours just isn't enough for some movies and I think the Hobbit is one of them.
Old December 1 2009, 07:00 PM   #3
Aragorn
Admiral

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
Still not sure why they feel they need to split this into 2 movies (other than greed of course ).
For the same reason that the final chapter in the Harry Potter movie saga is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows Part I and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows Part II.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2009, 07:58 PM   #4
The Evil Dead
Vice Admiral

View The Evil Dead's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Evil Dead

Or possibly The Twilight Sage - Breaking Dawn Vol. 1 and Breaking Dawn Vol. 2.
Old December 1 2009, 08:08 PM   #5
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

The Evil Dead wrote: View Post
Given the content of Breaking Dawn, I'm not sure that Summit Entertainment wants to touch that book with a ten foot pole.
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2009, 08:12 PM   #6
Harvey
Admiral

^^
They can just re-write the hell out of it to suit their marketing needs. Unless the author has some kind of final say on the script. I'm not sure what the deal was that she signed.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2009, 08:16 PM   #7
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

I haven't read any of the books. What's so bad about breaking dawn that it can't be filmed?
Old December 1 2009, 10:03 PM   #8
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

It's a very graphic book as compared to the others, and there's a few things in it that might squick some people.

Re DH being split in half, it actually makes sense in that case because of the amount of material that is in the novel and that is absolutely crucial to wrapping up the story. Also, it wasn't entirely the studio's decision to split DH in half; screenwriter Steve Kloves and director David Yates also had a hand in making the decision (Kloves was actually the one who suggested it to the studio, I believe, because he came to the realization that it wouldn't be possible to do the novel justice in one movie).
Old December 2 2009, 12:14 AM   #9
Daneel
Rear Admiral

Aragorn wrote: View Post
Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
For the same reason that the final chapter in the Harry Potter movie saga is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows Part I and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows Part II.
The Evil Dead wrote: View Post
Yes, it might appear that the studios are thinking, "Uh-oh, we're running out of books to adapt in this lucrative franchise -- so let's split the last movie in two!" I will give The Hobbit the benefit of the doubt for the time being, however, largely because I have faith in Jackson and del Toro.

As for the Harry Potter films, I actually think splitting The Deathly Hallows into two films might be a good idea -- it felt like there was a fair amount of stuff missing from the last two movies in the series, and making two films out of each of them perhaps would've been beneficial.
Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2009, 12:28 AM   #10
Aragorn
Admiral

If it works, then they'll just make even more Harry Potter movies!!!

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Parts II and III!!!! The untold stories.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2009, 12:40 AM   #11
Yuletide Caroler
Rear Admiral

View Yuletide Caroler's Twitter Profile

Considering the epic quality of the LOTR films, and considering the amount of reverence for The Hobbit, I'm very pleased that they've split the story into two films. When you factor in the extraneous story elements (those not told in the novel, yet still relevant to the overall story of LOTR), it makes sense to take the time to get the overall tale right. Considering how respectful Jackson was of the source material for the LOTR films, I'm pretty sure his choice to split The Hobbit into two films is more artistic than greedy.

Plus, I see nothing in this report to raise any alarm bells ... aside from, perhaps, the fact that the writing team took a bit longer to complete the script than they originally planned. Last I heard, they were hoping to have it done by the end of summer, so having it done by the end of autumn isn't exactly a big difference, especially if they're in a position to begin filming by summer '10. Plus, from what I've read, preliminary work has already begun, including work to restore the "Hobbiton" set.
Old December 2 2009, 12:40 AM   #12
Daneel
Rear Admiral

Aragorn wrote: View Post
If it works, then they'll just make even more Harry Potter movies!!!

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Parts II and III!!!! The untold stories.
Nah, they'll reboot the series in a decade or so: they'll bring back Rupert Grint to play adult Ron, who, while battling a Death-Eater, has an accident with his Time-Turner and goes back to when Harry was born. Voldemort is prevented from killing James and Lily Potter, and Harry grows up happy and well-adjusted, experiencing no tragedy or adventures whatsoever.

Hmm... that story may have to be tweaked a little.
Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2009, 01:30 AM   #13
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

There's so much story that has been building up in the Harry Potter series, I do believe that splitting the final part into 2 movies is the only way to do it justice.

I'm not sure why that would be necessary for The Hobbit, especially considering 1 film each was enough for the 3 Lord of the Rings books. Isn't The Hobbit the shortest of those 4 books anyway?

As for Twilight, that franchise is such a flash-in-the-pan, I suspect splitting Breaking Dawn into 2 films would just be pushing their luck.
Old December 2 2009, 04:43 AM   #14
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

^ It's the shortest book, and seemed to be written much "simpler" to me. A much quicker read than any 1 of the LOTR novels.

I'm not saying the movies won't be good because of there being 2, just seems like they could've done it in a single 3 hour (or so) movie.

Originally there were some rumors about the second movie being filler material, falling between The Hobbit and LOTR.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2009, 08:58 AM   #15
The Scrooge Doctor
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via AIM to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Yahoo to The Scrooge Doctor

Rats, I was hoping for some casting news. Alas.

As for the two-film issue, count me amongst the concerned. I was all for the original intention of the first film about The Hobbit and the second film bridging the first and the trilogy. However, that no longer appears to be Jackson's intention and I have to say it worries me. Yes, there's a lot of interesting things going on at the same time, but how does one weave it into the overall narrative? Where's the split going to be? There's no natural break in The Hobbit.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
The Scrooge Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote