RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,712
Members: 24,209
Currently online: 743
Newest member: Farside89

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 13 2010, 12:42 PM   #121
ROBE
Commander

Re: Next movie, let the woman wear pants.

There is no such thing as "gender neutral" uniforms, they are either masculine of feminine. That is the point I was making about the nurses uniforms, they had perfectly good uniforms they chose to dump because their militant feminist leadership decided femininity was something to be ashamed of and nurses would do better if they looked like male nurses. The result however was once nurses dumped their feminine uniforms for sloppy male uniforms they felt less good about themselves and public perception of them dropped as well. Dogma won over commonsense. There is nothing liberating about looking like a scruffy male.
ROBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2010, 02:27 PM   #122
Pauln6
Commodore

ROBE wrote: View Post
That is the point I was making about the nurses uniforms, they had perfectly good uniforms they chose to dump because their militant feminist leadership decided femininity was something to be ashamed of and nurses would do better if they looked like male nurses. The result however was once nurses dumped their feminine uniforms for sloppy male uniforms they felt less good about themselves and public perception of them dropped as well. Dogma won over commonsense. There is nothing liberating about looking like a scruffy male.
That's a very skewed view as suggested by accusing the nursing leadership being both feminist and 'militant' as negative connotations. Not every nurse wants to wear a skimpy sexy outfit - that hardly makes them militant or feminist and unless they try a more unisex uniform how can they assess which is preferable? Next you'll be saying that it's 'political correctness gone mad.'

It is true that experiments have shown that many (not all) nurses would prefer to appear more attractive at work so they prefer a more 'attractive' uniform that shows off their 'assets'. I'm not so sure that this holds true of the military - even the quasi-military of Trek. Dress unforms being short skirts is fine. Duty uniforms more questionable. However, many women in the background are wearing trousers so at least they chose a balance.

For my part I thought that most of the actresses I saw looked too skinny to make the mini skirts look really good. At least the sixties actresses were a bit curvier. I support the use of the mini-skirt as an iconic Trek image but they should make more use of form-fitting trouser uniforms too.

In spite of this shallow assessment I still maintain that giving the female characters something to do is more important than just making them look nice.
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2010, 06:51 PM   #123
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

There is no such thing as "gender neutral" uniforms, they are either masculine of feminine.
That's your social programming talking.

That is the point I was making about the nurses uniforms, they had perfectly good uniforms they chose to dump because their militant feminist leadership decided femininity was something to be ashamed of and nurses would do better if they looked like male nurses.
Yes, I'm sure that's completely what it is.

You got it totally on the nail.

Bravo.

The result however was once nurses dumped their feminine uniforms for sloppy male uniforms they felt less good about themselves and public perception of them dropped as well. Dogma won over commonsense. There is nothing liberating about looking like a scruffy male.
Bizarro-yes, I absolutley bizarro-agree.