RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,702
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 403
Newest member: PlainSimplGarak

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old December 2 2009, 11:33 PM   #1
Garm Bel Iblis
Commodore

View Garm Bel Iblis's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Garm Bel Iblis
Build a PC

I want to build and order a PC online, any reputable sights out there for this?
Garm Bel Iblis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2009, 12:00 AM   #2
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Re: Build a PC

Are you going to piece it together yourself? If so, there are CPU/motherboard bundles on sites like tigerdirect.com and newegg.com.
Old December 3 2009, 01:21 AM   #3
J. Allen
Science Is Magic™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Garm Bel Iblis wrote: View Post
I want to build and order a PC online, any reputable sights out there for this?
I use Newegg.com, TigerDirect.com, Pricewatch.com, and on rare occasion, ZipZoomFly.com

John
Brony Kingdom
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2009, 01:51 AM   #4
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

I'm not clear on whether you want to just order the parts and build it yourself, or order a custom-built machine.

I used http://pugetsystems.com to order my desktop and have been quite happy with it. Among other things they let me order without a hard drive, monitor, and other parts I already had. It was a few years ago, but I was quite happy with them and would definitely consider ordering from them again.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2009, 02:44 AM   #5
Garm Bel Iblis
Commodore

View Garm Bel Iblis's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Garm Bel Iblis

i want to aseemble it online and have it built and shipped to me
Garm Bel Iblis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2009, 05:36 AM   #6
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

In that case I definitely stand by my recommendation.
Old December 3 2009, 09:38 AM   #7
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

I got all my components from tigerdirect, and built it myself.

I had looked at Gateway beforehand. I started with one of the base systems, and "replaced" components with bigger & better ones from more recognizable manufacturers. Of course the price went way up, so I went with the DIY option.

I ended up paying more this way, but got a far better machine in the end and the fun of building it myself.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2009, 04:35 PM   #8
Ziz
Commodore

Building a machine yourself isn't as hard as you think. All the connectors are different shapes and sizes, and most are keyed to only fit in one way - it's pretty much idiot proof.

For me, the scariest part is getting past that first Windows installation - formatting the hard drive, hoping Windows recognizes all my hardware; at least enough to get the machine running; and re-booting the machine without any hiccups. After that, I calm down and get into the little stuff.
Old December 3 2009, 04:46 PM   #9
farmkid
Commodore

Ziz wrote: View Post
Building a machine yourself isn't as hard as you think. All the connectors are different shapes and sizes, and most are keyed to only fit in one way - it's pretty much idiot proof.

For me, the scariest part is getting past that first Windows installation - formatting the hard drive, hoping Windows recognizes all my hardware; at least enough to get the machine running; and re-booting the machine without any hiccups. After that, I calm down and get into the little stuff.
I agree. Over the years I've built several computers for myself, family, and friends. Once you have all the partrs, basic ability with a screwdriver and sufficient eye-hand coordination to plug cables and cards in is all the skill you need. If you shop around, you can save a lot of money doing it that way, as well. In addition, you will learn a lot about how computers go together and you'll be more able to troubleshoot and fix computer problems in the future. If you have the time, I suggest building it yourself.

Do a little reading on hardware sites first, then decide what you want based on your budget. Once you have a preliminary list, post it here. There are plenty of people here who've done it many times and can help you decide.
farmkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2009, 07:18 PM   #10
AnyStar
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to AnyStar

Ziz wrote: View Post
...hoping Windows recognizes all my hardware...
and that you have at least passable drivers included in the packaging, without endless hours of trying to find the right ones...

THAT has always been my biggest gripe about building my pc's
Old December 3 2009, 07:40 PM   #11
farmkid
Commodore

I've never really had any trouble finding drivers. It's usually as simple as going to the manufacturer's site, finding the device, and downloading the drivers (assuming there aren't drivers included with the device).
farmkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2009, 02:07 AM   #12
Scout101
Admiral

I just finished building myself a brand new computer, mostly used Newegg for the parts. Worked out well, and a lot cheaper than a pre-made setup...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2009, 10:32 AM   #13
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

The trickiest part might be making sure your CPU heat sync w/fan is properly stuck to the CPU with the proper amount of thermal goop. This can make a big difference as to whether you'll overheat or not.

In my case, the first motherboard I got had 4 SATA connections, plus 4 additional ones that I could never get to work. I ended up with 5 SATA drives, so I ended up getting a whole new mobo with 6 SATA connections. The moral of this story is, if you're building it yourself, it can never hurt to plan ahead and/or go a little too far overboard.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2009, 07:58 PM   #14
DonIago
Rear Admiral

^Not being a fan of tinkering with MOBO/CPU/FAN/etc....though I'm fine with things like swapping HD's and such...this is one of the reasons I like to order a pre-build. I appreciate having someone else do the testing and really delicate work before it gets to me.