RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,651
Members: 24,810
Currently online: 572
Newest member: Damix

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old December 3 2009, 01:18 AM   #61
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: A Hater Revisits nuWho

Count Zero wrote: View Post
I prefer "The End of the World" over "Rose", too. That was the episode that hooked me on the series. (Before sitting down to watch "Rose", I had never seen a snippet of Doctor Who.) "Rose" wasn't bad, though. I thought it was a bit weird but intriguing.
Same here. It was just so weird and wacky and fun, and I loved all the bizarre names that were thrown around.

But for me the signature moment was the Doctor fixing Rose's cellphone to allow her to call home. That little scene really captured the immense magic and wonder behind the character, and is something I've always wanted to see more of.

As much as I love the original series, too often I have to struggle to see any real magic there (in fact sometimes it feels positively glum). Clearly RTD wanted to emphasize the magic and fun a lot more in the new show, and I'm glad he did.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2009, 08:49 AM   #62
The Castellan
Commodore

Send a message via Yahoo to The Castellan

Starkers wrote: View Post
The Castellan wrote: View Post
I used to feel this way until I took a moment to consider what this gay agenda might be. Perhaps the agenda is to help create a world inwhich people can feel comfortable with themselves and their sexuality, and dare to love the ones their heart's desire without fear of discrimination, or intimidation. When you look at it that way, how can it be a bad thing?

So kids learn about same sex relationships, so what? The worst that can happen is that, when they're older, they feel comfortable reaching out, or reciprocating, but how is that hurting anything or anyone?

Plus the gay stuff does not feel forced to me.

My only gripe is that 5 billion years from now, people wear the same clothes we do now.

I want to see the story where humanity actually has the first contact with aliens. I bring this up cause one character I liked at first, Harriot Jones, showed promise to be a great leader, according to what the Doctor was saying about starting a new golden age under her direction, but in Tennent's first story, when an alien race is discovered, she asked the millitary guys, "do you got acover story ready?" I hated that character from then on. Double that for what she did to the aliens at the end of that story, and I'm glad the Doctor was able to set in motion her getting kicked out of office.
Yes and having Harriet Jones kicked out of office had no detrimental effects on the UK and planet Earth did it? Cough Harold Saxon, Cough Prime Minister Green.

Made 10 seem like a sanctimoneous arse from the get go, and I always felt Harriet Jones was very badly done by by RTD, so I was glad he gave her some redemption in Journey's End.
Yea, but still...I passionately hate anyone who's all for cover stories and secrecy, be it real or fictional.

Least the events of the Master, who I never liked as a character since Traken, were essentually undone. Wish the Master would stay dead....same with Davros.
The Castellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2009, 07:12 PM   #63
Bones
Commodore

^
Yeah, but if all the classic enemies start staying dead, we end up with rubbish like the Slitheen.

Anyway, I've just realised that after I go home from uni for Christmas, I probably won't get through many episodes, so I'll try and do as many reviews as I can over the next week.
I keep getting banned. If it happens again to the point of no return (and you miss me so much that you're off your food), I can still be found among the cool dudes of the Anorak Zone: http://anorakzoneforum.informe.com/forum/
It's No Gahy Test.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2009, 10:55 PM   #64
Davros
Fleet Admiral

Least the events of the Master, who I never liked as a character since Traken, were essentually undone. Wish the Master would stay dead....same with Davros.
Even though I use the name Davros here and he is one of the great all time Sci Fi bad guys. I think he should have stayed dead at the end of Genesis Of The Daleks. However he was great at the end of last season.
Old December 4 2009, 04:16 AM   #65
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Davros wrote: View Post
Even though I use the name Davros here and he is one of the great all time Sci Fi bad guys. I think he should have stayed dead at the end of Genesis Of The Daleks. However he was great at the end of last season.
I agree on the points about Davros, but not on The Master. He's been wonderful through and through, but I just wish JNT allowed Ainley perform the way he wanted to. For instance, in THe Planet of Fire, Ainley gave a darker performance, but JNT kept telling him to ham it up.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2009, 05:55 AM   #66
Captain Pike
Rear Admiral

JNT's heart was always in the right place, and I hate to speak ill of the dead, but imo the guy often had serious judgement shortcommings and lack of good taste.
Captain Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2009, 07:00 AM   #67
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

For the most part, I agree, but I really wish he allowed Ainley to play The Master the way he wanted to.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 4 2009, 11:59 PM   #68
The
Rear Admiral

View The's Twitter Profile

...and let Colin wear what he wanted...
Old December 5 2009, 12:17 AM   #69
Bones
Commodore

The Unquiet Dead (****)

Yeah, this is more like it. So much in this episode felt right. On the other hand, it's trickier to find a lot to say about a good episode, so this review won't be nearly as long as the End of the World review.

So, the teaser sets the tone perfectly. And then we come to the Tardis which the Doctor still can't drive. How does 1860 sound? Well, like the setting we saw in the preview last week. And then we get the directions to the wardrobe in the Tardis. Now, I recall the episode just after the fifth Doctor regeneration, and I'm sure he didn't have to go past any bins, but on the other hand, it once looked alarmingly like a swimming pool with offices, so I suppose I can handle bins.

Anyway, we get to see Dickens giving a reading of A Christmas Carol, and I was amused at the audience gasps when he said that Scrooge saw Jacob Marley's face on the doorknocker. I mean, how simple are they? Would they start screaming if you read out the script of Jaws to them? I'm reminded of hearing about one of the first films ever, in which a train pulls into a station and then leaves. People would run from the theatre screaming, because they thought the train was going to come through the screen and run them over.

And then more or less everything else in the story makes sense and develops naturally. No silly propellers on the walkway, as I'll call false manufactured peril from now on. The only thing that seemed unrealistically convenient was that the undertaker guy had chloroform straight to hand to use on Rose, but that's fairly forgivable.

The Ninth Doctor himself was likeable too. There was a eye roll early on when he said Rose looked beautiful for a human (trying to disguise his feelings perhaps, but this is an alien who seems to spend all his hundreds of years with humans). I also thought he was back to his unpleasant first episode form when he told Dickens to shut up, but then a scene or two later he apologised. Wow. It seems Gatiss understands that you have to make the character likeable; RTD seems to think everyone should automatically love him just because he's the Doctor.

There's also a lot of humour here, almost all of which works, compared to the disgraceful comedy in Rose. This is how it should be done.

The only thing I didn't like was where the Doctor tells Rose how glad he is that he met her. He's had dozens of human companions over the years, and he's known her for about 5 minutes. Sadly, I know this won't be the last we get of this quasi-love story, where we're meant to buy into this deep and involving relationship.

But that's just a minor quibble here. In the end, this episode may not be the biggest or most memorable, but it's very fun and completely watchable. If the show keeps on like this, it could well be worth it after all.

Extraordinary screwdriver:
1. Stops plastic arm from receiving signal.

2. Disengages computerised lock on door.
3. Seems to be the only tool you need while fixing a time machine.
I keep getting banned. If it happens again to the point of no return (and you miss me so much that you're off your food), I can still be found among the cool dudes of the Anorak Zone: http://anorakzoneforum.informe.com/forum/
It's No Gahy Test.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2009, 12:41 AM   #70
The
Rear Admiral

View The's Twitter Profile

You're going to loathe the next two episodes...
Old December 5 2009, 02:51 AM   #71
Bacl
Fleet Captain

The wrote: View Post
You're going to loathe the next two episodes...
Skip the next two.

Although you might appreciate a scene in which the Doctor essentially just bullshits that his sonic screwdriver can do stuff it can't, and then gets called on it.
Old December 5 2009, 03:54 AM   #72
The Castellan
Commodore

Send a message via Yahoo to The Castellan

The Ninth Doctor himself was likeable too. There was a eye roll early on when he said Rose looked beautiful for a human (trying to disguise his feelings perhaps, but this is an alien who seems to spend all his hundreds of years with humans).
Well, he DID try to have a fling with a chick who was made of wood in the previous story. And Rose DID look quite striking in that Victorian outfit.

Though they got the Doc's age wrong, he's way more than 900. In the Trial of a Timelord season, the Doc mentioned he was 900, at least twice. No way can he still be exactly 900, 3 regenerations later. I think he might have been lying about his age, so he would not appear to be old in front of Rose.

I do wonder what the humanised clone of the Doctor and Rose are doing now....I HIGHLY doubt that either of them would settle for a normal human life....as in job, bills, mortgage, company picknicks, and so on. Either they were able to make some sort of space/time device, or they are with Torchwood or Unit of that Universe.
The Castellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2009, 09:00 AM   #73
ITL
Vice Admiral

I do wonder what the humanised clone of the Doctor and Rose are doing now....I HIGHLY doubt that either of them would settle for a normal human life....as in job, bills, mortgage, company picknicks, and so on. Either they were able to make some sort of space/time device, or they are with Torchwood or Unit of that Universe.
After all, he does have the same knowledge as The Doctor...he's just more physically vulnerable.
Old December 5 2009, 10:29 AM   #74
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

ITElf wrote: View Post
After all, he does have the same knowledge as The Doctor...he's just more physically vulnerable.
Well Rose was supposed to be working at Pete's world's Torchwood, wasn't she?

Not on topic really, but the name ITElf makes me think of you as some put upon IT tech who just appears to fix the computers.
Old December 5 2009, 10:31 AM   #75
ITL
Vice Admiral

^ Yep, that's the idea! (Well, partially. The main reason is the "L" "Elf" thing...) Not that I've worked with computers for a few years, though..