RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,707
Members: 24,207
Currently online: 825
Newest member: MaileDetty

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old December 1 2009, 03:37 PM   #31
wamdue
Admiral

Re: A Hater Revisits nuWho

I think there is a YouTube video on this already (or something similar)
Old December 1 2009, 05:40 PM   #32
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

wamdue wrote: View Post
I think there is a YouTube video on this already (or something similar)
Oh yes there is.
Old December 1 2009, 05:52 PM   #33
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

USS Bones wrote: View Post
Well, there's just this obvious thing with new Doctor Who where there are more gay references forced in than there would be if they weren't trying, and it just feels so obvious and grating. I want to make clear I'm in no way a homophobe, but it's just irritating. Like they're pushing the agenda.
There are more interracial couples than gay couples in Doctor Who, and I've never felt that they were pushing any agenda. I guess I'm just blasé.

But I don't want to make a thing of it. Let's talk about how little sense that bloody screwdriver makes instead.
Yeah, it's just a bloody magic wand, isn't it?
(no, that one wasn't a gay reference)
Old December 1 2009, 09:30 PM   #34
Butters
Captain

Well, there's just this obvious thing with new Doctor Who where there are more gay references forced in than there would be if they weren't trying, and it just feels so obvious and grating. I want to make clear I'm in no way a homophobe, but it's just irritating. Like they're pushing the agenda.
I used to feel this way until I took a moment to consider what this gay agenda might be. Perhaps the agenda is to help create a world inwhich people can feel comfortable with themselves and their sexuality, and dare to love the ones their heart's desire without fear of discrimination, or intimidation. When you look at it that way, how can it be a bad thing?

So kids learn about same sex relationships, so what? The worst that can happen is that, when they're older, they feel comfortable reaching out, or reciprocating, but how is that hurting anything or anyone?

There are matters of taste, always, but I have no right to be offended by someone elses preferences, nor does anyone else, and a family show, such as Dr Who is, is as good a place as any to teach these values.
Butters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2009, 11:12 PM   #35
Captain Pike
Rear Admiral

I agree that Rose is an extremely weak season starter, though apparently it was a good enough (re)introduction for the public at large. It does have its moments though - there are a few nice bits of dialogue and some decent acting here and there. Clive is not bad. But I agree about the humour seeming forced.

When I watched the leaked version of it (with the classic series theme tune instead of Murray Gold's tacked on) I remarked that on first impressions it seemed like some odd (not very funny) parody of Doctor Who.

Also, the loud and obtrusive electronic music drives me nuts. I think they improved the mix slightly for the dvd release, but it's still a shocker and something that plagues the rest of the first couple of seasons pretty badly.
Captain Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2009, 01:58 AM   #36
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral

Truth to tell, I was very close to crying with disappointment when I saw Rose. After waiting for Doctor Who to come back to TV for 16 years, I thought to myself, "THIS is what they give us?"

I look upon it a little more favorably now, as The Unquiet Dead and The End of the World really made up for it. By the time we got Dalek, I knew we were getting something special.
Old December 2 2009, 02:27 AM   #37
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

On the whole, I prefer the 9th Doctor over the 10th (except when it comes to hair and fashion sense... in that case, Tennant rocks).

BUT On the other hand, I can see how an episode like Rose would be a rather poor way of introducing the Doctor. I feel that future episodes show is good and bad in much better ways (truly, future episodes are what made me a fan of Nine in the first place).

The next episode should do quite nicely
Old December 2 2009, 03:45 AM   #38
Steve Roby
Commodore

Chaos Descending wrote: View Post
Truth to tell, I was very close to crying with disappointment when I saw Rose. After waiting for Doctor Who to come back to TV for 16 years, I thought to myself, "THIS is what they give us?"
Here's the thing: "Rose" wasn't written for Doctor Who fans. It was written as the first episode of a new family-oriented TV series.

I look upon it a little more favorably now, as The Unquiet Dead and The End of the World really made up for it. By the time we got Dalek, I knew we were getting something special.
RTD et al. just gave the new viewers a little time to get used to the kinds of things this show could be. And it worked. A lot of fans of the original enjoy the new series, and a lot of new fans, many of them not even born when the show went off the air, have come along.

Besides, despite a quibble or two with a couple of the things thrown in for the younger end of the audience, I liked "Rose."
Old December 2 2009, 04:18 AM   #39
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

Fucking gay people, existing all over the place. It's sick, I tell you.

Anyway, "Rose" is a perfect opener (though "The End of the World" is even better), Eccleston is the best actor to ever play the Doctor (though he's not my favorite), and the Earth revolving speech was the point where I knew the best television show ever was back.
Old December 2 2009, 05:04 AM   #40
Bacl
Fleet Captain

Steve Mollmann wrote: View Post
Fucking gay people, existing all over the place. It's sick, I tell you.

Anyway, "Rose" is a perfect opener (though "The End of the World" is even better)
I always start everyone on "End of the World." The opening witht he Doctor asking Rose, "Do you want to go forwards or backwards in time?" is the perfect introduction.

I love how the Doctor goes from Rose's baby step of one hundred years in the future, to something incredible, The New Roman Empire, and then really gets a little out of control and whips them five billion years into the future to show her the end of the world.

Hooks 'em each and every time. I get my converts by the opening credits. By the close, where we see an exciting NEXT TIME scroll by to the Doctor shouting, "You've seen the future, now let's have a look at the past! 1860! How does 1860 sound?"

Rose: What happens in 1860?

Doctor: I don't know. Let's find out!

This has them addicted. And it, too, captures Doctor Who perfectly. Let's find out!
Old December 2 2009, 06:49 AM   #41
Jax
Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland

Emh wrote: View Post
Incidentally, I'm not a big fan on tacking "nu" on the front of things to indicate they're the relaunched version...but I have anyway. Get that. Anyway, reviews will follow.
I absolutely and completely agree on this count. Whether it's Battlestar Galactica, Doctor Who, or now even Star Trek, I simply loathe the prefix "nu."
The only reason I put Nu for doctor Who is because I consider the shows two different things. Despite being the same cannon universe there is so much of a gap between the last season in the 80's and the 2005 one its a soft reboot/relaunch without tacking it away from the universe its set in. I don't consider myself a fan of the old one, I was born in 1987 my childhood had no Doctor Who so I like to put NuWho to keep the two seperate.

There are so many gems within the last 5 years of Doctor Who, I hope you watch them and for fans of the old "School Reunion" in season 2 you should like. I personally find these episodes to be the top standout of the 21st century Who...

* The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances
* Bad Wolf/Parting of the Ways
* The Christmas Invasion
* The Girl in the Fireplace
* The Impossible Planet/Satans Pit
* Army of Ghosts/Doomsday
* Blink
* Utopia/The Sound of Drums/Last of the Timelords
* The Fires of Pompeii
* Planet of the Ood
* Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead
* The Stolen Earth/Journeys End

IMO they are the best of the best from 2005-2009 though am sure I will add The End of Time to that list come January 2nd 2010.

Rose was a soft opener and the 1st proper episode of Who I can remember watching but it was enough to keep me watching the show and the 1st season was there to help RTD find his feet. DT reign has kicked DW into top gear and I love how epic the show can feel at times yet the Doctor seems the loneliest character ever.
Glengarry Glen Ross (B-) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (B+) Dark Skies (B-) Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (B-) Gravity (C+) Captain Phillips (B) Now You See Me (B) Escape Plan (B-) Captain America: The Winter Soldier (B+)

Last edited by A JaxMas Carol; December 2 2009 at 07:03 AM.
Jax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2009, 07:05 AM   #42
Bacl
Fleet Captain

Jax wrote: View Post
* The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances
* Bad Wolf/Parting of the Ways
* The Christmas Invasion
* The Girl in the Fireplace
* The Impossible Planet/Satans Pit
* Army of Ghosts/Doomsday
* Blink
* Utopia/The Sound of Drums/Last of the Timelords
* The Fires of Pompeii
* Planet of the Ood
* Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead
* The Stolen Earth/Journeys End
Wow, I agree with your list 110% except for The Stolen Earth/Journeys End, which I disagree with 110%. Heh. Interesting.
Old December 2 2009, 07:34 AM   #43
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

The only reason I put Nu for doctor Who is because I consider the shows two different things. Despite being the same cannon universe there is so much of a gap between the last season in the 80's and the 2005 one its a soft reboot/relaunch without tacking it away from the universe its set in. I don't consider myself a fan of the old one, I was born in 1987 my childhood had no Doctor Who so I like to put NuWho to keep the two seperate.
How about making the extra effort and typing "new"?
Old December 2 2009, 08:29 AM   #44
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Emh wrote: View Post
Incidentally, I'm not a big fan on tacking "nu" on the front of things to indicate they're the relaunched version...but I have anyway. Get that. Anyway, reviews will follow.
I absolutely and completely agree on this count. Whether it's Battlestar Galactica, Doctor Who, or now even Star Trek, I simply loathe the prefix "nu."
The only reason I put Nu for doctor Who is because I consider the shows two different things. Despite being the same cannon universe there is so much of a gap between the last season in the 80's and the 2005 one its a soft reboot/relaunch without tacking it away from the universe its set in. I don't consider myself a fan of the old one, I was born in 1987 my childhood had no Doctor Who so I like to put NuWho to keep the two seperate..
I have absolutely no problem recognizing the current show as a separate program (but still a continuation of the classic series) and I simply refer to the two as the Classic Series and New Series. My beef is with the prefix "nu."

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
How about making the extra effort and typing "new"?
Bingo.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2 2009, 09:54 AM   #45
Starkers
Admiral

Hey I've been wondering. Since EMH was away from the board for a while, should he not have changed his user name to reflect this difference between the EMH that was and the EMH that is?

I dunno...

NuEMH?

(Ducks!)

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote