RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,399
Members: 24,626
Currently online: 589
Newest member: space2050

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old December 1 2009, 10:48 AM   #16
Bones
Commodore

Re: A Hater Revisits nuWho

I can understand that the episode had a lot to do and live up to, and it could have worked. But I can't emphasise enough how the lame attempts at humour at every turn ruined it for me.

As for Eccleston's Doctor, I don't like him. However, I haven't seen any of the first series since it first aired (aside from Rose yesterday), so I'm going to give him a chance. But going by this episode, he seems even more unlikeable than I remember. And because of the way he is here, it then negates most of the intrigue the episode tries to build up around him.

I also remember that straight after this was broadcast and the viewing figures were in, it was announced that a second series was to be commissioned. I'd have thought it would make more sense to wait until the broadcast figures for the second episode, because then you see how many people have come back for more, but that's a moot point anyway. This Doctor Who has proven itself popular with a modern audience.
I keep getting banned. If it happens again to the point of no return (and you miss me so much that you're off your food), I can still be found among the cool dudes of the Anorak Zone: http://anorakzoneforum.informe.com/forum/
It's No Gahy Test.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2009, 10:48 AM   #17
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Bob the Skutter wrote: View Post
WillsBabe wrote: View Post
The Castellan wrote: View Post
I enjoyed the 9th Doctor myself. I liked him alot more than the 10th.
More of this.
and another.
YES
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2009, 11:02 AM   #18
Starkers
Admiral

I used to think I liked Eccleston more, but I think, with Tennant's impending departure, that I'm starting to appreciate him more. They're probably equal. The big difference for me is that Eccleston plays a very different Doctor, whereas Tennant is more conventional. I always compare them to Brosnan and Daniel Craig. Brosnan is a bit of a mish mash of other Bonds whereas Craig is very different whilst still being Bond. That doesn't mean I like one or the other better, it just makes them different.

I doubt Tennant could have played the scene with the Dalek in, er, Dalek, with anywhere near the cold venom that Ecclseton did, but conversly Eccleston could never have pulled off the sheer joy Tennant did when he saw Sarah Jane Smith (sometimes its good to be a fanboy).

Rose, not a great episode but frankly few first episodes are, for any show. It's all about introducing characters and set up, and whilst people might have thought it a reboot, it cleary has been proven not to be. What RTD did, very astutely, is figure out that the show had to gain a new audience, most of whom weren't even alive when McCoy was on the telly (nor when McGann popped up) He started the show with as little backstory as possible but, over time, has added more and more of the wider mythos in. I have issues at times with RTD but you can't fault the guys accumen and I have a lot of respect for him.

Oh dear, did he mention the gays....as Donna's alter ego might say, "How very dare he"

Ok so I do think they make a few too many gay references (most oddly in the doctor Dances which is Moffat not RTD) but it's the 21st Century, a large number of people are gay, deal with it or travel back to the 50s...your choice

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2009, 11:02 AM   #19
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

Glad to see I'm not the only one who prefers Eccleston to Tennant. (The gap's a chasm in my case.)

I must give new Who another go myself one of these days. With only a few exceptions it's left me pretty lukewarm, on the whole.
Old December 1 2009, 11:58 AM   #20
Bones
Commodore

Starkers wrote: View Post
Oh dear, did he mention the gays....as Donna's alter ego might say, "How very dare he"

Ok so I do think they make a few too many gay references (most oddly in the doctor Dances which is Moffat not RTD) but it's the 21st Century, a large number of people are gay, deal with it or travel back to the 50s...your choice
Not get me wrong, I'm not a homophobe. Indeed quite the opposite; in the past I've

But no, it's the frequent and obvious shoehorning in of gay things that irritates me. This is pretty much personified in Captain Jack; a rabid homosexual who'll roger anything that moves. They had to make him immortal or he'd have died of STIs 50 times over by now. That's not a good advert for the gay community. Gay people are largely just like everyone else, just of a different sexual persuasion. Putting in obvious gay things doesn't help.
I keep getting banned. If it happens again to the point of no return (and you miss me so much that you're off your food), I can still be found among the cool dudes of the Anorak Zone: http://anorakzoneforum.informe.com/forum/
It's No Gahy Test.
Old December 1 2009, 12:50 PM   #21
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

USS Bones wrote: View Post
Gay people are largely just like everyone else, just of a different sexual persuasion. Putting in obvious gay things doesn't help.
Yes, they are just like everyone else, which means that some of them are more promiscuous than others. I guess we'll all have to learn to live with that.
Old December 1 2009, 01:01 PM   #22
Bones
Commodore

Yes, some are more promiscuous, but when every representation is of a predatory queen, that doesn't help gay people as a whole. Indeed, I find it an offensive misrepresentation that damages the whole community.
It's No Gahy Test.
Old December 1 2009, 01:30 PM   #23
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

^WTF are you talking about? Besides the fact Jack isn't gay, he goes all ways, and besides the fact he hasn't seemed to be anything but flirty since he got with Ianto, there are many different characters in Doctor Who who have been everything from married bloke having a thing with his butcher, to a married old lesbian couple.
Old December 1 2009, 02:04 PM   #24
wamdue
Admiral

Bob the Skutter I suspect that USS Bones is worried about the people who wont see Jack as "omnisexual" they might just see him as gay.

Now I think even the must backward of folk, should be intelligent enough to recognise that he is not gay, and might use the term bi sexual.

I dont think is much difference between Captain Jack and a hetrosexual character like, dare I say it Captain Kirk, the only difference is that instead of just women, he "charms" anything & everything.
Old December 1 2009, 02:09 PM   #25
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

USS Bones wrote: View Post
Yes, some are more promiscuous, but when every representation is of a predatory queen, that doesn't help gay people as a whole. Indeed, I find it an offensive misrepresentation that damages the whole community.
I'm not sure you're being entirely objective here. As Bob said, there are all kinds of homosexual characters in Doctor Who. They're treated exactly like heterosexual characters. Some are good, some are evil, some are promiscuous, some have lifelong partners, some are extravagant, some are restrained.

I may be wrong, but I'm beginning to suspect that your very intense dislike of the Captain Jack character is coloring the whole Doctor Who experience for you.
Old December 1 2009, 02:29 PM   #26
Bones
Commodore

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
I may be wrong, but I'm beginning to suspect that your very intense dislike of the Captain Jack character is coloring the whole Doctor Who experience for you.
No, no, not at all. I was merely saying that he's the worst example of RTD putting gay things in for their own sake. Being as Doctor Who is about 95% Jack-free anyway, I certainly don't let my dislike of the character affect how I view thngs, not even with the stories he's in.
It's No Gahy Test.
Old December 1 2009, 02:41 PM   #27
VDCNI
Captain

Gay things in for their own sake, what does that even mean!? So should the lesbian couple in Gridlock have been a hetrosexual couple, why would that matter either way?
VDCNI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2009, 02:54 PM   #28
Bones
Commodore

Well, there's just this obvious thing with new Doctor Who where there are more gay references forced in than there would be if they weren't trying, and it just feels so obvious and grating. I want to make clear I'm in no way a homophobe, but it's just irritating. Like they're pushing the agenda.

But I don't want to make a thing of it. Let's talk about how little sense that bloody screwdriver makes instead.
It's No Gahy Test.
Old December 1 2009, 03:00 PM   #29
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

The screwdriver is pretty over-used. More often than not I don't mind because I simply love the device... but sometimes it's used for absurd things. Dreamland is chock full of ridiculous screwdriver uses. I think RTD has acknowledged the over-reliance though. I think the worst actually is when the Doctor uses it as a tricorder-type device... I don't really get how it can do that for anything. Vibrating things, turning things on/off fine, but scanning?

And the convenient use of deadlocked doors as well. At least Donna, or possibly River, had the sense to just kick the damn thing in.
Old December 1 2009, 03:23 PM   #30
Bones
Commodore

Come to think of it, maybe this is a good opportunity to compile the screwdriver uses.

1. Stops plastic arm from receiving signal.
It's No Gahy Test.