Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 12 2008, 02:27 PM   #1
ZZYFRX
Commodore

Speed Racer = FLOP!!!

Nobody is disputing distributor Paramount's figures that Marvel's summer blockbuster Iron Man made a platinum $15 million on Friday from 4,111 venues, and $21.6 million on Saturday, giving it an estimated FSS total of $50.5 million, or more than double the domestic box office gross of its nearest weekend competitor, to stay No. 1 again. Its new cume is a monster $177.1M. But Warner Bros' Speed Racer, whether its weekend total is $19.7 million or $20.2 million from 3,606 plays, made only half what the studio hoped, even with lowered expectations because of bad buzz and poor tracking. Not only is the anime actioner this summer's first summer bomb, but it's also doing dismally in key areas of its 30+ day and date opening foreign territories. The pic has gone bust in many international markets, with some disastrous openings in Europe in particular. Besides a too-long running time and a too-small audience of younger boys, the Wachowski siblings spent at least $160M making the pic, whereas Fox's What Happens in Vegas cost only $35 million.
http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.co...ke-dismal-too/

It's official, Speed Racer is the first major FLOP!!! of the summer season. Not surprising considering the Wachowski's (can they be considered "brothers" anymore?) track record of three pieces of shit in a row. The film looked horrible based on the trailer alone and didn't seem to know who they were marketing the film towards.

Hopefully this is a good lesson to the moronic studio execs to stop throwing hundreds of millions of dollars at shit "blockbuster" movies and start making more budget conscious films.

ZZYFRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2008, 02:33 PM   #2
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Re: Speed Racer = FLOP!!!

Dude, stop with the "Flop!" thing it's old and cliche.

But, on topic, this is no surprise.
Old May 12 2008, 02:36 PM   #3
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post

But, on topic, this is no surprise.
At least he hasn't done it in a while...it's almost nostalgic.

But, yeah. No surprise. Nor particularly controversial. I don't think there will be anyone who argues that it's NOT a flop.

And it won't stop studios from spending big money to make even MORE money...look at Iron Man.

What it MIGHT do is make Studios pause and consider who helms projects.
Old May 12 2008, 03:00 PM   #4
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Yeah, its official. SR is a dud.

I don't mind when he does a thread like this and it has legitimacy. Its not like he posted an "IRON MAN is a FLOP" thread.

Maybe he is learning and has tempered his zeal...somewhat.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2008, 03:07 PM   #5
Scout101
Admiral

yep, seems like a "duh" thread. Movie looks like shit, to be honest...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2008, 03:27 PM   #6
Leroy
Fleet Captain

Could the poor performance be due to the fact that it's based off an Anime?
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2008, 03:50 PM   #7
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Leroy wrote: View Post
I think its that they tried to make it actually look full on anime. Transformers didn't try to look like a cartoon. It translated itself into an actual real world environment. The design of attempting to make the anime the real world is part of SR's problem.
Old May 12 2008, 03:51 PM   #8
SpeedRacer
Commander

I think that it has more to do with the target audience (kids) not being familiar with the Speed Racer show, the long-ass running time for a kid's movie, and adult fans wishing for something a little higher than a PG rating.
Old May 12 2008, 03:55 PM   #9
Kegek
Rear Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Leroy wrote: View Post
I think its that they tried to make it actually look full on anime. Transformers didn't try to look like a cartoon. It translated itself into an actual real world environment. The design of attempting to make the anime the real world is part of SR's problem.
That didn't seem to effect Sin City and 300. Maybe it's this specific colour-saturated psychadelic imagery?

- All About Eve.
Kegek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2008, 04:01 PM   #10
The Scrooge Doctor
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via AIM to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Yahoo to The Scrooge Doctor

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
But at least he's right this time.

I'm not surprised by this news. The movie looks awful.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
The Scrooge Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2008, 04:05 PM   #11
MIB
Rear Admiral

Not surprising considering the Wachowski's (can they be considered "brothers" anymore?) track record of three pieces of shit in a row.
Three? Were there three DOA movies after V For Vendetta (their last film before Speed Racer as far as I know) that I'm not aware of?
Old May 12 2008, 04:12 PM   #12
ancient
Vice Admiral

After seeing part of the movie on YT, I think this movie most reminds me of that Mike Meyers live-action Cat-in-the-Hat movie. Except even more glaring and drug-induced. I saw parts of the CitH movie on TV. That was another cartoon in live-action. It's kinda distrurbing, really.

I'm not really suprised. It's an older cartoon, a bit too long, and too weird looking to be a major money-maker.
Old May 12 2008, 04:20 PM   #13
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

MIB wrote: View Post
Not surprising considering the Wachowski's (can they be considered "brothers" anymore?) track record of three pieces of shit in a row.
Three? Were there three DOA movies after V For Vendetta (their last film before Speed Racer as far as I know) that I'm not aware of?
V for Vendetta is NOT a FLOP nor was it DOA. Its budget $54m. Its US total $70 and WW total of $132. Its fine for those who didn't like it to not like it, just end the mischaracterization of it as a failure. Also they only wrote it. It was produced and directed by others. So V for Vendettas modest success is not solely attributed to them.
Old May 12 2008, 05:00 PM   #14
CompCarp
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to CompCarp

FLOP = LE$$ Just becase a studio didn't make the money they'd hoped for, does'nt mean they didn't make a great movie. It just means that for economic, competition, or other reasons the audience either didn't know about, or chose not to see it.
And in my book - not seeing a movie is not the same as saying it's a bad movie.

FLOP = SHEEP Are you suggesting that declaring a movie a 'flop' means I shouldn't bother watching it? I'll be honest, there are many popular and critically acclaimed movies that leave me cold - and several 'failures' that are my favorites.

FLOP = VISION "Miracle on 34th Street", "It's a Wonderful Life" come to mind as failures when they came out - but later became classics. They are remembered DECADES after the cookie-cutter popular movies that trounced them in the box office.
Directors/producers/writers that tell a unique story, or in a unique way risk having the audience 'not get it' until years later. Calling those movies a 'flop' would fit - but how meaningful is that really?

FLOP = TROLL Nuff said...

"There comes a time in every friendship when you have to say, "I never liked you... get lost."
Bill McNeal on News Radio (we miss you Phil!)
CompCarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2008, 05:03 PM   #15
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
MIB wrote: View Post
V for Vendetta is NOT a FLOP nor was it DOA. Its budget $54m. Its US total $70 and WW total of $132. Its fine for those who didn't like it to not like it, just end the mischaracterization of it as a failure. Also they only wrote it. It was produced and directed by others. So V for Vendettas modest success is not solely attributed to them.
Thanks for the clarification. I've been seeing a lot of stuff here and in the media that now it's appearently cool to bash V for Vendetta. I thought it was considered a great movie with a respectable Box Office number.
FelizNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote