Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old November 29 2009, 07:10 PM   #1
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Emotions.

Hello. I've posted a similar thread in Science and Technology, but this forum moves much faster and so I'm hoping I'll get results here. I was wondering if anyone could assist me with the subject of emotions. Can anyone tell me what is known about the development of emotion in human children (be it psychological theories, neurological studies, or whatever). Specifically, is there any known scientific basis- or if you don't have science background, individual experience- for a situation whereby one particular emotion (or I suppose more accurately one particular "flavour" of emotion, since I doubt we can divide emotion neatly into types) is not experienced? That is, the child is psychologically "healthy" but simply does not experience a particular emotion until puberty or until his/her circumstances change dramatically. Is this considered possible under currently accepted theory? Does anyone else have experience of this? Any help with this would be most appreciated. Thank you.
Old November 29 2009, 07:15 PM   #2
Yuckleberry Finn
Vice Admiral

Re: Emotions.

Why are you asking?
Yuckleberry Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2009, 07:18 PM   #3
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Finn wrote: View Post
Why are you asking?
Because I did not experience the emotion of anger until I was about 11 or 12 years old. I want to know if anyone else has a similar experience or if what I remember is accepted as possible under current scientific theories.
Old November 29 2009, 07:54 PM   #4
Yuckleberry Finn
Vice Admiral

That's improable unless you have some kind of disorder (my apologizes if you do). Children should experience all kinds of emotions by age of two or three. Babies do exhibit jealousy very early on. Pouting comes with some degrees of anger, and one is generally considred too old for that by the age of ten. Most people don't remember anything from before they were five, and much of their childhood memories up to ten are usually diluted and hazy with time, and false memories so you may not remember being upset about something, like not getting a cookie at the age of four.

Did your parents tell you that you didn't show anger until you were eleven or are you just making a statement from what your memories tell you? Memories can play tricks on you years down the road.
Yuckleberry Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2009, 08:11 PM   #5
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Finn wrote: View Post
That's improable unless you have some kind of disorder (my apologizes if you do). Children should experience all kinds of emotions by age of two or three. Babies do exhibit jealousy very early on. Pouting comes with some degrees of anger, and one is generally considred too old for that by the age of ten. Most people don't remember anything from before they were five, and much of their childhood memories up to ten are usually diluted and hazy with time, and false memories so you may not remember being upset about something, like not getting a cookie at the age of four.

Did your parents tell you that you didn't show anger until you were eleven or are you just making a statement from what your memories tell you? Memories can play tricks on you years down the road.
Oh, believe me, I know how unreliable memories can be. But truthfully, as far as I know, I did not experience anger and aggressive feelings towards another until I was 11 or 12. Frustration, annoyance, even stress: I felt these like anyone else, and I threw a tantrum once or twice as a very young child when my selfish frustrations overflowed, but anger? No. Jealousy, upset and those other things you mention were of course experienced, but the emotion of anger was not present.

I know it sounds improbable, and I'm not saying 100% I'm not mistaken, but I really believe this and I'm wondering if anyone can support it, or if there's some other explanation.
Old November 29 2009, 08:25 PM   #6
Kestra
Vice Admiral

Another explanation would be in how you define the emotion, anger. Things like frustration, annoyance, stress, throwing a tantrum, etc., could be indications of anger as defined by some people. You may be using the word in a different way to explain a more complex combination of emotions and perhaps even motives or reasoning. In such a situation, it would not be unreasonable that you believe you did not exhibit something under your definition until a higher age.
Old November 29 2009, 08:32 PM   #7
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Kestra wrote: View Post
Another explanation would be in how you define the emotion, anger. Things like frustration, annoyance, stress, throwing a tantrum, etc., could be indications of anger as defined by some people. You may be using the word in a different way to explain a more complex combination of emotions and perhaps even motives or reasoning. In such a situation, it would not be unreasonable that you believe you did not exhibit something under your definition until a higher age.
Yes, I believe you're right, Kestra. Perhaps I should define the emotion (or whatever mental faculties or process is involved) I'm talking about as "aggression", as in a beligerant attitude towards another being (which precludes jealousy, frustration, annoyance and the rest).
Old November 29 2009, 08:35 PM   #8
Kestra
Vice Admiral

I would say perhaps even more than an emotion or attitude, aggression may be defined as a behavior. Since not everyone exhibits the same behaviors, this might be your explanation.
Old November 29 2009, 08:36 PM   #9
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

I would say perhaps even more than an emotion or attitude, aggression may be defined as a behavior. Since not everyone exhibits the same behaviors, this might be your explanation.
Possibly, but I wasn't necessarily thinking of aggression exhibited, which I would consider behaviour, but instead internally experienced. Even if we don't exhibit aggression, that beligerant snappish response can still be there inside us, we don't show is it all.
Old November 29 2009, 08:38 PM   #10
Kestra
Vice Admiral

I think aggression by its very definition has to be exhibited externally as behavior. Otherwise you're speaking of thoughts and desires, which aren't really aggression themselves.
Old November 29 2009, 08:40 PM   #11
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

I think aggression by its very definition has to be exhibited externally as behavior. Otherwise you're speaking of thoughts and desires, which aren't really aggression themselves.
Fair enough . Evidently, I am still having trouble defining this...aspect...I believe I did not experience until around 11-12
Old November 29 2009, 08:41 PM   #12
Jadzia
on holiday

Well firstly there are three kinds of anger.
  • Spontaneous anger.
  • Settled and deliberate anger.
  • And the more constant personality related anger.

These are all brought under control with greater emotional intelligence. Consider that your story may due to a combination of you having greater emotional intelligence, allowing you to deal with situations in a more controlled and productive way, as well as maybe not being exposed to many intense situations that could anger you.
Old November 29 2009, 08:45 PM   #13
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Jadzia wrote: View Post
Well firstly there are three kinds of anger.
  • Spontaneous anger.
  • Settled and deliberate anger.
  • And the more constant personality related anger.
These are all brought under control with greater emotional intelligence. Consider that your story may due to a combination of you having greater emotional intelligence, allowing you to deal with situations in a more controlled and productive way, as well as maybe not being exposed to many intense situations that could anger you.
In which case I must have lost that emotional intelligence, or had it overwhelmed. So, instead of suddenly developing an emotional response I previously lacked the capacity for, I instead lost control of a previously in-built strategy for defusing or avoiding it? Yes, I see that probably seems more logical.

Thanks for the input, Jadzia.
Old November 29 2009, 09:34 PM   #14
RoJoHen
Awesome

I still don't understand the question. I have never experienced "anger" that wasn't a result of something else, usually frustration. Even then, it's never really been aggressive.

Are we talking about just suddenly being pissed off and violent? Because that's not healthy no matter how old you are.
Old November 29 2009, 09:40 PM   #15
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I still don't understand the question. I have never experienced "anger" that wasn't a result of something else, usually frustration. Even then, it's never really been aggressive.

Are we talking about just suddenly being pissed off and violent? Because that's not healthy no matter how old you are.
No, I've only ever been violent once in my life, and I cried for hours for shame afterwards. I'm talking about being angry. As in feeling anger. Not frustration or upset or jealousy or anything like that, but feeling angry. I didn't use to feel such things, and I'm displeased that now I do.