To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old November 27 2009, 09:32 AM   #31
Austin 3:16
Commander

Re: About the Borg's apperance....

Arpy wrote: View Post
"It has always bothered me that we might have to accept that the Borg were always supposed to look like how they did in First Contact with no explanation at all except because TNG didn't have a big budget."

No offense to you personally, but it's always bothered me when they try to "explain" the obvious, making farce of it all. Wouldn't we be better served by having the writers create new stories, ever better ones, or have the effects people retouch things than come up with lame fourth-wall shattering excuses for the nature of real-life reality? Make-up gets better, effects get better, cameras get better, language patterns change, social norms change. I don't care as much why Klingons look different between TOS and TNG as much as why they even matter any more. When we saw them last, I had a hard time believing they could even pronounce "phaser," let alone build one.
GRRRR I am offended!!! Jk!!! But I see where you're coming from. You sound like a good guy.

And thank you to everyone else who responded in this thread. Especially the insight from Sci and the recent TNG novels. I really, REALLY wanna read those now! You are all awesome, lol.

Last edited by Austin 3:16; November 27 2009 at 10:49 AM.
Austin 3:16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2009, 02:51 PM   #32
Anwar
Vice Admiral

The 8472 were also immune to Borg assimilation as well.

My own pet theory is that since most life in the Trekverse was created by the Progenitors, the stuff they all have in common makes them all susceptible to assimilation. Thus since the original Borg race were of the same Progenitor seedings, their methods of assimilation are very effective on everyone. But since the 8472 were from another plane of reality, they evolved independent of the Progenitors and thus they are more immune to the Borg.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2009, 12:23 AM   #33
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

NIUPonyBoy wrote: View Post
I would have liked to have thought that perhaps there was a species out there with a natural biological resistance to or shear power of will ability to not have the Borg tech take them.
Species 8472.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2009, 07:30 PM   #34
RegFan
Commodore

I think the Borg simply adapted to a new technology. The cube that assimilated Annika Hansen and her parents was experimenting on the new technology.
RegFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2009, 05:47 AM   #35
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Did they always want the Borg to look like that? Probably not entirely, but, when the movie came around, they figured they could update the design slightly. The lack of explanation makes sense because, although obvious, it's still a more subtle distinction. I don't think you have to explain production changes unless they call attention to it in dialog (like they did in Trials and Tribble-ations for the Klingons).
Old December 26 2009, 06:04 AM   #36
NIUPonyBoy
Captain

Send a message via AIM to NIUPonyBoy Send a message via Yahoo to NIUPonyBoy

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
NIUPonyBoy wrote: View Post
I would have liked to have thought that perhaps there was a species out there with a natural biological resistance to or shear power of will ability to not have the Borg tech take them.
Species 8472.
I am talking about THIS dimension.
NIUPonyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2009, 04:20 AM   #37
JoeFromEarth
Lieutenant Commander

Quick theory:

It didn't look like the borg had nanites during TNG. Perhaps the discolored skin in First Contact is a result of the nanites? Also, a lot of the Borg in First Contact are freshly assimilated. Perhaps they lose that ugly complexion after awhile.

I guess Locutus and Voyager prove me wrong though. Just a though.