Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old November 24 2009, 12:10 AM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Ellison: I?d Work For J.J.

Writer Harlan Ellison thinks highly of J.J. Abrams and wouldn’t hesitate to get involved with the Star Trek XI sequel if he were contacted.Paramount lawsuit or not, Ellison would answer the phone if Abrams called. “I would jump at the chance to work with the inordinately-talented J.J. Abrams on a new Star Trek film,” Abrams [...]

More...
Old November 24 2009, 03:58 AM   #2
Data Holmes
Admiral

Re: Ellison: I?d Work For J.J.

Old November 24 2009, 04:27 AM   #3
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Gotta love Ellison. "I'll work for anyone, as long as the price is right!"
My blog
Old November 24 2009, 04:59 AM   #4
Steve Roby
Commodore

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Gotta love Ellison. "I'll work for anyone, as long as the price is right!"
Um, no. Not even close. If you're going to make a snotty remark denigrating Ellison, at least criticize him for something he's actually guilty of. Being a mercenary hack? Not guilty. He's walked away from money more than once.

I mean, I was going to make my own snide remark, but it would have reflected Ellison's real world failings. Like the fact that The Last Dangerous Visions and Blood's a Rover are around 30 years late, and Ellison's Babylon 5 episode, the one that would have been a sequel to his Outer Limits episode "Demon With a Glass Hand," never materialized. He's not good at hitting deadlines. That's a matter of fact. You could work with that and make a good snarky comment, like, if he was hired to work on the second Trek movie, we wouldn't see it in our lifetimes, just as some of the writers who contributed stories to The Last Dangerous Visions died before seeing their stories in print.

Yours is just a generic insult that doesn't fit the target. You might as well say his mother dresses him funny.
Old November 24 2009, 05:13 AM   #5
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Wow, my first off-hand comment about Ellison gets that kind of reaction? I should have done it years ago!
My blog
Old November 24 2009, 05:43 AM   #6
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

This is not likely to happen, but I would love it if it did.
Old November 24 2009, 07:04 AM   #7
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Wasn't Ellison ready to bite off JJA's head when a false internet rumor stated that the Guardian of Forever might appear in Star Trek XI?
Old November 24 2009, 02:26 PM   #8
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

Broccoli wrote: View Post
Wasn't Ellison ready to bite off JJA's head when a false internet rumor stated that the Guardian of Forever might appear in Star Trek XI?
Not really. He was irked at the idea of his stories being used without his permission and compensation and said so.

"Would someone go to that site," Ellison wrote on his official message board, referring to the IESB, which printed the original rumors, "and suggest to those people there, that 'City' and all its elements except specific Star Trek characters, belong to Harlan Ellison -- author of that much-lauded episode -- by terms of the Separation of Rights clause of the Writers Guild's Minimum Basic Agreement (MBA), and if Mr. Abrams -- with whom I'm currently on strike -- or anyone else, at Paramount or elsewhere, thinks they're going to use my creations -- whether the City, the Guardians, Sister Edith Keeler, or any other elements created by Harlan Ellison... they had damned well better lose the unilateral arrogance, get in touch with me, or my agent, Marty Shapiro, and be prepared to pay for the privilege of mining the lode I own." Trektoday

But then he addresses those false rumors in this video (1:35).

I've never seen him attack J.J.
Old November 24 2009, 02:45 PM   #9
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Kelso wrote: View Post
Absolutely Right(TM).

People who know nothing important about Ellison run their mouths about him all the time. It never seems to bother him at all, but it is a nuisance.
Old November 24 2009, 02:58 PM   #10
Steve Roby
Commodore

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Wow, my first off-hand comment about Ellison gets that kind of reaction? I should have done it years ago!
Not angry about your post, more baffled by what your point was.
Old November 24 2009, 05:46 PM   #11
Kegg
Rear Admiral

News Item: Man Wants Job

Seriously though, having Harlan Ellison onboard for the next Trek movie in any capacity (writer, story consultant) is something I'd find pretty neat.
Old November 24 2009, 06:25 PM   #12
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

I may have had issues with Ellison's attitude over the years (once I understood the complete story I realized I was wrong to think that way about his lawsuit), but wow, get him to write for J.J., that would be awesome!

J.
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
Old November 24 2009, 06:39 PM   #13
JonathonWally
Admiral

View JonathonWally's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to JonathonWally Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JonathonWally

Broccoli wrote: View Post
Not really. He was irked at the idea of his stories being used without his permission and compensation and said so.

"Would someone go to that site," Ellison wrote on his official message board, referring to the IESB, which printed the original rumors, "and suggest to those people there, that 'City' and all its elements except specific Star Trek characters, belong to Harlan Ellison -- author of that much-lauded episode -- by terms of the Separation of Rights clause of the Writers Guild's Minimum Basic Agreement (MBA), and if Mr. Abrams -- with whom I'm currently on strike -- or anyone else, at Paramount or elsewhere, thinks they're going to use my creations -- whether the City, the Guardians, Sister Edith Keeler, or any other elements created by Harlan Ellison... they had damned well better lose the unilateral arrogance, get in touch with me, or my agent, Marty Shapiro, and be prepared to pay for the privilege of mining the lode I own." Trektoday

I've never seen him attack J.J.
Llama Fucker is my new favorite phrase!
Are you hearin me, like I'm hearin you?
Old November 24 2009, 07:28 PM   #14
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Never cared much for City on the Edge of Forever, and the only story of his that I have ever liked is Jeffty is Five.

And the movie would probably have to say "Harlan Ellison present Star Trek"
Old November 25 2009, 04:02 AM   #15
Data Holmes
Admiral

Dennis wrote: View Post
Absolutely Right(TM).

People who know nothing important about Ellison run their mouths about him all the time. It never seems to bother him at all, but it is a nuisance.
Sometimes I think he enjoys it.

This man could be a TNZ regular.