Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old November 19 2009, 05:01 AM   #16
kes7
Fleet Captain

Re: The flaws of Ezri Dax

*Looks around for Rush Limborg*
kes7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2009, 05:48 AM   #17
RyuRoots
Fleet Captain

View RyuRoots's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to RyuRoots

kes7 wrote: View Post
Yeah, where is he?

I'm with those who say that her flaws just make her that much better and more likeable.
Old November 19 2009, 10:03 AM   #18
Pegaritaville
Vice Admiral

Evil Ezri wrote: View Post
The other reason, Jadzia Dax was the center of attention during the first six seasons. Sisko was first, then Jadzia and Kira shared the number two position with Odo and Basher the third tear of the series.
Funny how people can preceive things differently- I never saw Jadzia as the center of attention on the show.

Anyway, I liked Ezri. But I do think they spent too much time on her backstory (definitely could've done without her mob family episode). Yeah, you want to learn about a new character, but with so much going on in the final season, there really wasn't time.
Pegaritaville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2009, 03:09 PM   #19
TheQman
Commander

Sure, Ezri Dax could have been more secure about herself and be much taller. Then, would she not really be a copy of Jadzia Dax.
The problem is she is really suppose to be a different character than Jadzia. She doesn't really have to be anything like Jadzia.

At first, I used to not care for Ezri, but then I thought about it. I figured out, I was really trying to compare her with Jadzia. After, I stopped doing that, I found that she was really a good character. I actually have come to like Ezri's character more than Jadzia. I think we (DS9 fans) were just used to Jadzia, and one season didn't really give enough time to develop Ezri.
Old November 19 2009, 03:20 PM   #20
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

I was not aware that not being incredibly tall constitutes a "flaw".

Jadzia was never 'the center of attention' on the show. If anything, Ezri was the center of attention in the first part of season 7, since the writers needed to get the audience to know her well, and didn't have much time for it.

Fencer wrote: View Post
WIf it was the flaws about herself, as she was short as a woman at 5’ 5” tall when the rest of the cast members were taller except for Quark and Ron.

What the hell does Nicole's height got to do with any flaws in the character Ezri Dax?
Have no problem that she is 5'5". Just that the majority of the characters of Deep Space 9 were taller then her. Think everyone was looking for someone like Jadzia Dax that was almost 6'0" and large busted.
I wasn't aware that she was large busted but why would anyone expect the next Dax host to look like a Jadzia clone? It's not like Jadzia and Curzon looked alike. If anything, Jadzia and Ezri were similar for a Trill host, both being female, young and pretty.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2009, 03:52 PM   #21
Evil Ezri
Lieutenant

DevilEyes wrote: View Post
I wasn't aware that she was large busted but why would anyone expect the next Dax host to look like a Jadzia clone? It's not like Jadzia and Curzon looked alike. If anything, Jadzia and Ezri were similar for a Trill host, both being female, young and pretty.
Ezri was not large busted, but she was smaller than Jadzia Dax. If I really had to come up with an idea of Ezri Dax I would way a 32B.

Kes was dumped because she was short and flatchested like Ezri Dax for a tall big busted female called 7 of 9. If I recall Jeri Ryan has reported she is a 36DD if I am right. If it is about volume of the size of the bust, and since we cannot change her band size. Maybe Ezri would be more popular if she was a 32EE.
Evil Ezri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2009, 11:08 AM   #22
AdmiralGarak
Rear Admiral

Ezri was not large busted, but she was smaller than Jadzia Dax. If I really had to come up with an idea of Ezri Dax I would way a 32B.

Kes was dumped because she was short and flatchested like Ezri Dax for a tall big busted female called 7 of 9. If I recall Jeri Ryan has reported she is a 36DD if I am right. If it is about volume of the size of the bust, and since we cannot change her band size. Maybe Ezri would be more popular if she was a 32EE.
Or less popular. I'll take Ezri over T'Pol or Seven any day. (That sounds dirty .)
AdmiralGarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2009, 11:19 AM   #23
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

I never exactly tried to compare Jadzia's and Ezri's boobs but I wasn't under the impression that Ezri was flat-chested, and was never under the impression that Jadzia was large-busted, either, just tall. But maybe that's just me.

In any case, Ezri was already very popular for someone who's only spent one season on a Trek show. Especially here on Trek BBS, where she seems to be at least as popular as Jadzia, who had 6 seasons. She wasn't much behind in the Jadzia or Ezri? poll, she is winning the Sexiest DS9 Character poll and she was leading for a long time in the all-inclusive "Sexiest Trek Character" poll.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2009, 12:12 PM   #24
bbailey861
Admiral

Ezri was many things, but flawed wasn't one of them. Not that I didn't like Jadzia, but Ezri was a breath of fresh air when she came into the picture.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2009, 02:55 PM   #25
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

RyuRoots wrote: View Post
kes7 wrote: View Post
Yeah, where is he?
(Rushes into thread, outta breath--pant, pant....)

Okay...sorry I'm late, guys. Got stuck in traffic.

Now....let's get down to business....

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2009, 03:11 PM   #26
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

Admiral Shran wrote: View Post
What flaws are you talking about? If it's just that she was short, how is that a flaw at all?

I loved Ezri. In my opinion she was much better than Jadzia. The fact that she was unsure about herself and emotionally vulnerable is what made her such a great character. How often do we see a character like that on Star Trek when those traits aren't played for laughs?
Amen--and I must say...her growth as the season unfolds is very rewarding, indeed. We can all identify with her struggles...which is why we, her fans, rejoyce when we see her triumph.

Count me as one who found her endearing. I especially liked how she was the polar opposite of Jadzia. She was shaky, nervous, and emotionally unsure; whereas Jadzia came off quite often as arrogant, supremely self-absorbed, and at times downright rude.

I think it's fair to say that I'm no fan of Jadzia Dax.
I agree--I'm okay with Jadzia, but she did often come across as a bit of a snob, with all that "Julian...I was a man once, so I know that these kinds of feelings are natural at your age," blah-blah-blah.

Thank heaven for Worf--after he came along, Jadzia became a lot more likable.

(BTW...I think, when Ezri said, "If Worf hadn't come along, it would've been you," that was probably the cruelest thing to say to poor Julian. It was like adding insult to injury--and sure enough, he reacts like she just slapped him in the face. Fortunately, Ezri saves the moment by taking his hand....)

If you want to see how incredibly smug and annoying an Ezri with NO flaws is, read some of her more recent Trek novels. She is now the Mary Sue of the galaxy who can do no wrong, no matter who writes her. Very stupid and annoying.
I wouldn't say that. After all,

But, as for the relaunch, my beef was that, yes, she was getting pretty arrogant with all the absorbing of her past memories. She started alienating Julian, and...

Well, that's the past--which I intend to redeem, ASAP....

(Step one of that "redemption", BTW, is the fanfic I'm posting on the BBS. Can't miss it. Just sayin....)

Old November 21 2009, 12:32 PM   #27
doctorfoto
Commodore

when it comes to Ezri, it's not her height, bust size or whatever you're trying to pin on deBoer. In my opinion, the biggest "flaw" people had with Ezri is that she simply wasn't Jadzia. As it's been said, Jadzia was on the show six years before we met Ezri. To be honest, with many fans it wouldn't matter if you replaced Farrell with Famke Jaansen or freakin' Angelina Jolie for crying out loud... Whoever it was would have been 'not as good' as Farrell.

However for me, and this is my long-standing semi-controversial opinion, I feel they should have killed off Jadzia SOONER. Not because she was a bad character (I loved Jadzia back in Season 1, when even Terry Farrell herself didn't like her very much!) But I feel if you're going to have a character who has multiple lifetimes of experience, and who transitions from one host to the next, then to only show ONE of those hosts throughout the series does an injustice to your character.

I would have resolved two problems at once by introducing Ezri as a counselor assigned to help O'Brien through his 'Hard Time' recovery (which I felt they didn't follow up enough on) Ezri is one of the 50% of the Trill population not compatible with joining and has no desire to do so. Like in the series, Jadzia dies and the symbiont goes to the reluctant Ezri, who at this point is still a minor recurring guest character. Rather than gaining the confidence that normally comes with joining - because she is unprepared and susceptible to the brain damage warned by Jadzia in Invasive Procedures, the trained counselor actually becomes worse and spends the next 2 1/2 seasons trying to get it together.

The advantages are that we first get to see what someone is like BEFORE joining and how they're affected after. Ezri gets a longer period to grow and develop. And most importantly DAX gets a longer and more interesting story arc and we get a better understanding of Trill culture. In short I think they got it right - but I wish they would have had longer to develop the storyline.
doctorfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2009, 03:44 AM   #28
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

^That would've been AWESOME!!!

Yep--I especially like the idea of introducing her for the aftermath of "Hard Times".

Who knows? We could've seen her working with Julian as he struggles to help her get his friend back on his feet.

Perhaps we could've seen their love begin to blossom then--and flourish, as Julian helps her cope with the trauma of suddenly getting the symbiont....

Ah, well. What might have been.

Old November 22 2009, 06:26 AM   #29
chakotay_lover
Lieutenant

flaws:
short
emotional
not Jaxdea
horrible consuler
undeveloped character, except for her family background, i felt bad about her brother, he just wanted to make his mom happy,

good things:
pretty
nice to people
she could have been worse, like polaski

all in all, I didnt like ezri, just cause of how emotional she was, it was kinda like she needed alot of counseling
Old November 22 2009, 06:27 AM   #30
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

... ^ "jaxdea"? "polaski"?