"Peak Performance" Line-by-Line

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by CoveTom, Nov 16, 2009.

1. CoveTom

CoveTom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The thread begins, Number One...

We've recently concluded our "Yesterday's Enterprise" Line-by-Line thread in record time!

After each completed thread, I'm randomly picking someone who participated to choose the next episode we do. The lucky winner this time around was Unicron! And Unicron has chosen "Peak Performance" (a personal favorite of mine, BTW) as our next line-by-line adventure.

For any unfamiliar with our "game," you are asked to post only a single line (defined as one character speaking without interruption by another character) per message. You can post as often as you like, but someone else must post a line in between your posts.

As before, at the conclusion of this thread, I will pick someone at random from among all the participants to choose the next episode we do.

Enjoy!

(Mods: Might you consider sticky-ing our current LbL thread as you do with the current caption thread?)

[SPECIAL NOTE: Normally I only run one of these threads at a time. However, I've been presented with a special request to initiate a line-by-line thread on the 2009 movie when it's released on DVD and Blu-ray. I think that's reasonable and I don't see why we can't have two 'official' threads going side-by-side this one time. So this Tuesday, November 17th, I'll be starting that one up -- in the Star Trek XI forum -- in addition to this episode.]

2. CoveTom

PICARD (voiceover): Captain's Log, stardate 42923.4. Despite misgivings, I have agreed to Starfleet's request that the Enterprise divert to the Braslota System to take part in a war game exercise. Joining us as observer and mediator is Zakdorn master strategist Sirna Kolrami.

3. leandar

leandar Vice Admiral Admiral

^^Finishing:
    Picard: Mister Kolrami. Captain Jean-Luc Picard. Welcome aboard.

Kolrami: Captain. I bring greetings from those at Starfleet Command.

4. CoveTom

PICARD: Would you care to be shown to your quarters?

5. leandar

Kolrami: I require little rest, Captain. I prefer that we commence with our mission.

6. CoveTom

[Bridge]

WORF: Despite their reputations, this Zakdorn does not appear to be a very formidable warrior.

7. leandar

Data: In the game of military brinksmanship, individual physical prowess is less important than the perception of a species as a whole. For over nine millennia, potential foes have regarded the Zakdorns as having the greatest innately strategic minds in the galaxy.

8. CoveTom

WORF: So no one is willing to test that perception in combat...

9. Brian

Brian Vice Admiral Admiral

DATA: Exactly.

10. CoveTom

WORF: Then the reputation means nothing.

11. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

Kolrami: The Braslota system. In orbit around the 2nd planet, is the 80 year old star cruiser, Hathaway. (Speaking softly to Picard) He is still your first choice?

12. CoveTom

^ Note that it's now the Observation Lounge.

PICARD: Commander Riker will captain the Hathaway.

13. LeadHead

Kolrami: You will have 48 hours to ready your vessel before the Enterprise attacks.

14. CoveTom

RIKER: And we'll experience actual battle conditions?

15. leandar

Kolrami: Correct. Engineering will disconnect the Enterprise's weapons and link the system with the modified laser-pulse beam. All hits will be recorded electronically. If the computer registers damage, it will act accordingly, shutting down the affected areas for the appropriate repair time. Additional questions? Captain Picard, it is my understanding that you initially resisted Starfleet's request for this simulation.

16. CoveTom

PICARD: Yes.

17. leandar

Kolrami: May I know why?

18. Vanyel

Vanyel The Imperious Leader Premium Member

Picard: Starfleet is not a military organization. It's purpose is exploration.

19. leandar

Kolrami: Then why am I here?

20. LeadHead

Picard: With The Borg threat, I decided that my officers and I needed to hone our tactical skills. In a crisis situation, it is prudent to have several options.