Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old November 17 2009, 10:59 AM   #166
Freman
Fleet Captain

Re: On Tuesday, which version of ST:XI will you buy?

Tara wrote: View Post
Freman wrote: View Post
By a quotient so insignificant that it barely is noticeable.
Actually, that's not quite true. A single-layer DVD can hold 4.4 GB of data. A single-layer Blu-Ray disc can hold 50 GB of data. That's more than 10x the information. I can't really think of that as "insignificant".
I wasn't really talking about the amount of storage per disc. I was talking about the quality of the movie itself. I just don't think the quality diff is significant enough to justify all the hoopla BluRay gets. And it's definitely not worth the price difference between DVD and BluRay.

And I'm not one of those "VHS vs DVD" types either. I actually upgraded buying into all the hype, and have decided to just stick with DVD until it's gone. Maybe if the prices start dropping on BluRay movies, I might make the shift, but until then, the "superior quality" isn't worth the extra bucks.
Old November 17 2009, 11:26 AM   #167
J. Allen
Squeaky Clean

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Tara wrote: View Post
By a quotient so insignificant that it barely is noticeable.
Actually, that's not quite true. A single-layer DVD can hold 4.4 GB of data. A single-layer Blu-Ray disc can hold 50 GB of data. That's more than 10x the information. I can't really think of that as "insignificant".
I wasn't really talking about the amount of storage per disc. I was talking about the quality of the movie itself. I just don't think the quality diff is significant enough to justify all the hoopla BluRay gets. And it's definitely not worth the price difference between DVD and BluRay.

And I'm not one of those "VHS vs DVD" types either. I actually upgraded buying into all the hype, and have decided to just stick with DVD until it's gone. Maybe if the prices start dropping on BluRay movies, I might make the shift, but until then, the "superior quality" isn't worth the extra bucks.
It's not worth it to you, and that's okay. However, the quality is still superior and quite noticeable.

J.

-= All fantasy teaches me is that reality sucks. =-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2009, 11:57 AM   #168
Beyerstein
Captain

Classic Fan wrote: View Post
Well, i gave in, i bought two copies.

Yeah, the two disc DVD edition, which the cover BTW, looks really cheap and piratey.The sleeve is cool, with Pine on the front split up by the wording, but i was expecting a better sleeve inside, it just has Pine and Quinto poster prints that are not even that clear. And in general, the DVD/BD covers couldve been better designed. Like using the poster art of the Golden Gate bridge with San Fran being attacked, which INMHO, was the best image of the posters (Oh, second best, next to he silouette of the Ent). I do like the use of the classic type face though, thought they wouldve gone with the movies version of it but hey, its only a case, eh?

And the BD version, 3 disc. Ready for my Blu Ray player next year. so i have something to look forward to.
what exactly does the sleve/artwork look like? is it like some recent dics where the cardboard slip has a different picture than the actual dvd case? can someone post pics?

I'm waiting for mine to come from amazon. I ordered the two disc version. I might get the single disc version too cause i think the artwork looks better
Beyerstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2009, 02:45 PM   #169
Classic Fan
Rear Admiral

View Classic Fan's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Classic Fan

Beyerstein wrote: View Post

Yeah, the two disc DVD edition, which the cover BTW, looks really cheap and piratey.The sleeve is cool, with Pine on the front split up by the wording, but i was expecting a better sleeve inside, it just has Pine and Quinto poster prints that are not even that clear. And in general, the DVD/BD covers couldve been better designed. Like using the poster art of the Golden Gate bridge with San Fran being attacked, which INMHO, was the best image of the posters (Oh, second best, next to he silouette of the Ent). I do like the use of the classic type face though, thought they wouldve gone with the movies version of it but hey, its only a case, eh?

And the BD version, 3 disc. Ready for my Blu Ray player next year. so i have something to look forward to.
what exactly does the sleve/artwork look like? is it like some recent dics where the cardboard slip has a different picture than the actual dvd case? can someone post pics?

I'm waiting for mine to come from amazon. I ordered the two disc version. I might get the single disc version too cause i think the artwork looks better
The outer sleeve has the type face which, inside the letters, is Pines face. Thats ok, looks pretty neat. But the inside isnt even the standard edition sleeve. Its the two promo teaser posters, the headshots on either side. It just screams cheap. The images are ok, but i expected better for the special edition to be honest.

Havnt got any pics at the moment, i gotta go back to work.

Maybe someone has more time
"Course your not,your not scared of anything. Box falls out the sky, man falls out of box, man eats fish custard. Look at you, just sittin' there,you know what i think? Must be helluva scary crack in your wall" - The Doctor
Classic Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2009, 03:06 PM   #170
J. Allen
Squeaky Clean

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Just to help out, here are some pics of my Special Edition Blu-ray:

Sleeve:

DVD Cover:

Inside DVD Case:

J.

-= All fantasy teaches me is that reality sucks. =-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2009, 03:17 PM   #171
Yeoman Randi
Vice Admiral

The covers do look very disappointing. Over the weekend i received TOS movie collection on Blu-ray and the coverwork to that sucked verily. I was very surprised at how no thought at all was put into them. Perhaps the new trend?
Yeoman Randi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2009, 04:09 PM   #172
Cobalt Frost
Captain

Location: seduced by The Coolness in Phineas & Ferb's backyard

The Target-exclusive version RAWKS!!! The Enterprise snaps together easily and is very nicely detailed. I have to admit, the nuPrise has grown on me, but having it "in hand" really helps you appreciate the design.
Old November 17 2009, 04:15 PM   #173
Hambone
Fleet Captain

I just picked up the Target Exclusive Blu-Ray Edition (with the little Enterprise model). I wasn't going to but when I saw it, my inner trekkie kicked in. Neat-o!

I also got the "It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia" Christmas movie.
Old November 17 2009, 04:51 PM   #174
Yeoman Randi
Vice Admiral

Just back from Best Buy with my blu-ray copy. I did have the one with the stinkin badges in my hands for a moment or two...but to be honest, i wasn't terribly impressed with them....so i passed on that one and just got the regular ol' blu-ray set.

Hambone....talk about getting your inner trekkie on...i got to Best Buy at about a minute before 10. There were quite a few people waiting to get in....and everyone ran to the Trek display. It was cool!
Old November 17 2009, 04:58 PM   #175
KirkusOveractus
Captain

Send a message via AIM to KirkusOveractus

Just got back from Target and got the 2-disc DVD with Enterprise model. Took only a minute to build (I took the bottom disc out before attaching the dorsal - don't want to scratch the disc!) and put her on my desk here.

She's proudly sitting between my Disney Big Thunder Mountain train and Animal Kingdom Expedition Everest train.

Since I can go home for lunch, she's coming with me so I can start watching this extravaganza!

(I did like Wal Mart's single disc offer though: it's $9.99, and they made issue out of the fact that at that price, you're saving...

$17.01)

EDIT: That looked to have been Wal Mart's pre-order offer, as I don't see that anymore online.
KirkusOveractus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2009, 05:14 PM   #176
Yeoman Randi
Vice Admiral

At the risk of sounding like an idiot...in this 3 cd blu-ray set, what exactly IS this digital copy?
Old November 17 2009, 05:22 PM   #177
stonester1
Rear Admiral

Pimped out Blu Ray w/ Ent mini.
Old November 17 2009, 05:33 PM   #178
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

my amazon exclusive edition should arrive today. woo hoo!
Old November 17 2009, 05:38 PM   #179
B.C.
Lieutenant

I ended up getting the 3-disc blu-ray edition without the badges. I stood there at midnight trying top talk myself into spending an extra $20 for the badges, but I couldn't do it. I know I'll look at them for a day, then into a drawer they'll go, only to someday be put into a storage box and forgotten about.
B.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2009, 05:46 PM   #180
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Yeoman Randi wrote: View Post
At the risk of sounding like an idiot...in this 3 cd blu-ray set, what exactly IS this digital copy?
It is a copy of the movie that you can download into a portable device, such as an iPod.