RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,889
Posts: 5,222,641
Members: 24,232
Currently online: 565
Newest member: shadow55

TrekToday headlines

De Lancie Joins Mind Puppets
By: T'Bonz on Apr 24

Cumberbatch One Of Time Magazine’s Most Influential
By: T'Bonz on Apr 24

Trek Actor Smithsonian Magazine Cover First
By: T'Bonz on Apr 24

Takei To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Yelchin In New Comedy
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

U.S. Rights For Pegg Comedy Secured
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Shatner: Aging and Work
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Kurtzman And Orci Go Solo
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Star Trek #32 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 15 2009, 06:29 AM   #76
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Do you think T'Pol...

USS_Triumphant wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
It is possible to travel forward in time? Most time travel in Trek is traveling into the past and then returning to the "present".
Remember Archer going with Daniels, both to that city in the future, and to the Enterprise-J?

You're travelling forward in time right now - at a rate of one minute per minute.
True, I once wrote a paper on that very theme.

Wasn't Archer just along for the ride? Daniels was traveling to the past and back to his "present". I don't know if he ever traveled to his "future".
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2009, 06:29 AM   #77
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.
 
M'Sharak's Avatar
 
Location: Terra Inlandia
Re: Do you think T'Pol...

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
It is possible to travel forward in time? Most time travel in Trek is traveling into the past and then returning to the "present".
Most Trek time travel is to the past, but Berlinghoff Rasmussen (TNG's "A Matter of Time") was from the 22nd century and used a stolen 26th-century time-travel pod to travel forward. As pointed out above, Daniels' devices in ENT allowed travel both backward and forward. I think the past may be favored more by writers because they (as well as the audience) already know what it looks like, and thus it requires less explanation.
__________________
"If the man doesn't believe as we do, we say he is a crank and that settles it. I mean it does nowadays, because we can't burn him."
— Mark Twain, from Following the Equator
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2009, 09:05 AM   #78
Devon
Fleet Captain
 
Devon's Avatar
 
Re: Do you think T'Pol...

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
It is possible to travel forward in time? Most time travel in Trek is traveling into the past and then returning to the "present".
And may I also add...

"Yesterday's Enterprise."
Devon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2009, 09:20 PM   #79
KottenFutz
Lieutenant
 
KottenFutz's Avatar
 
Re: Do you think T'Pol...

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
It is possible to travel forward in time? Most time travel in Trek is traveling into the past and then returning to the "present".

When Trek characters go back in time to someone else's present in the past, they will eventually return to their own time, which will be moving forward in time to someone else's future. So Trek travels to the future always. Also, we've seen someone from the past (their present) joining the return trip to the future ( their future, someone elses present) many a time: Star Trek:The Voyage Home, Star Trek: Generations, TNG:Time's arrow, and so forth. It's all quite relative.
__________________
...meow.
KottenFutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2009, 09:35 PM   #80
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Do you think T'Pol...

Yes, that can go from point A (their present) to point B (their past) and take someone from point B with them to point A, but can they go to point C (their future). Yesterday's Enterprise (as mentioned) goes from their present to the alternate future created by their disappearence, but that was an accident (IIRC). Are there any other times in Trek that someone travels to the future without using tech from the future or being a passenger/hitch-hiker?
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2009, 10:10 PM   #81
KottenFutz
Lieutenant
 
KottenFutz's Avatar
 
Re: Do you think T'Pol...

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Yes, that can go from point A (their present) to point B (their past) and take someone from point B with them to point A, but can they go to point C (their future). Yesterday's Enterprise (as mentioned) goes from their present to the alternate future created by their disappearence, but that was an accident (IIRC). Are there any other times in Trek that someone travels to the future without using tech from the future or being a passenger/hitch-hiker?
Captain Kelsey Grammer did it...

So is the issue that they can't go forward in time, or that they can't intentionally go forward in time? You'd have to invent the method, but does that depend on where in time you gain the knowledge to do so? If Trek tech was capable of going forward in time say by the 25th century, would it only be possible then... is it all based on when a reliable method is discovered? If you can go back and forth, but go back and let someone else go forward, does that not count?
What if another race from another planet was capable of moving forward in time, but did so in Trek's history, maybe about the 20th century, does it count even if Starfleet never knew about it? What about Q?
__________________
...meow.
KottenFutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2009, 11:25 PM   #82
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Do you think T'Pol...

I would think they can't intentionally go forward.(unless they are going back to the future.) Both the Bozeman and the Enterprise-C travelled forward by accident through a temporal rift.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2009, 01:24 AM   #83
Voyagerian
Commander
 
Voyagerian's Avatar
 
Location: N.C.
Re: Do you think T'Pol...

Tara wrote: View Post
Personally, I can see her being involved with the Vulcan Colony project. And I love the idea of her and Spock Prime. Because of her daughter with Trip, I always had this diea that she'd have been Spock's sponsor at the Academy. It would be interesting to see that explored in any of the new STXI novels from Pocket...
To jump back to this post, I feel the same way about a potential connection between Young Spock and T'Pol, and have written some fanfic material thusly. T'Pol was a forerunner to him, and especially after T'Pau's appearance in STE, there is a bridge between two families, or, rather, a connecting person. She knew the value of relationships with humans all too well, and I can see her as even a mentor to Sarek in his youth, learning the skills of diplomacy and interstellar poilitics... Granted, he would not be pleased that someone so connected with him supporting his son's 'rebellious' choice-and I am thinking here of TOS- in the Prime Timeline, it's a dynamic, whereas in Abramstrek, Sarek seems 'kinder, gentler', with all honor to Prime S, and Mark L, so, it could be different, at least to some extent, given the scenes we saw. On the topic of other Vulcans surviving, assuming someone didn't mention, I think Tuvok was born on what, the Vulcanis Colony....? I certainly HOPE he's alive in Abramstrek...
Voyagerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2009, 06:32 AM   #84
Guardian Bob
Lieutenant Commander
 
Guardian Bob's Avatar
 
Location: The Net
Re: Do you think T'Pol...

I was hoping for a T'pol cameo in the movie. But I'm not sure if she would be on Earth or Vulcan.
Guardian Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2009, 06:43 AM   #85
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Do you think T'Pol...

^ Probably Earth. She doesn't seem to like Vulcan that much anymore. She's spent too much time on Earth or the NX-01. I'm sure she will continue to live on Earth for most of her life.
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2009, 07:01 AM   #86
Puritan
Vice Admiral
 
Puritan's Avatar
 
Re: Do you think T'Pol...

Voyagerian wrote: View Post
Tara wrote: View Post
Personally, I can see her being involved with the Vulcan Colony project. And I love the idea of her and Spock Prime. Because of her daughter with Trip, I always had this diea that she'd have been Spock's sponsor at the Academy. It would be interesting to see that explored in any of the new STXI novels from Pocket...
To jump back to this post, I feel the same way about a potential connection between Young Spock and T'Pol, and have written some fanfic material thusly. T'Pol was a forerunner to him, and especially after T'Pau's appearance in STE, there is a bridge between two families, or, rather, a connecting person. She knew the value of relationships with humans all too well, and I can see her as even a mentor to Sarek in his youth, learning the skills of diplomacy and interstellar poilitics... Granted, he would not be pleased that someone so connected with him supporting his son's 'rebellious' choice-and I am thinking here of TOS- in the Prime Timeline, it's a dynamic, whereas in Abramstrek, Sarek seems 'kinder, gentler', with all honor to Prime S, and Mark L, so, it could be different, at least to some extent, given the scenes we saw. On the topic of other Vulcans surviving, assuming someone didn't mention, I think Tuvok was born on what, the Vulcanis Colony....? I certainly HOPE he's alive in Abramstrek...
According to Memory Alpha, Tuvok was born in 2264, six years after Star Trek tales place, so he's not even born yet. One would imagine that the destruction of the home world of his species would alter history enough that he would never have been born, but I guess one never knows if the universe will still "fate" him to be born (see Chekov)...
Puritan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2009, 04:15 PM   #87
Guardian Bob
Lieutenant Commander
 
Guardian Bob's Avatar
 
Location: The Net
Re: Do you think T'Pol...

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ Probably Earth. She doesn't seem to like Vulcan that much anymore. She's spent too much time on Earth or the NX-01. I'm sure she will continue to live on Earth for most of her life.
But when Trip died whatever BS, she might have went to vulcan to stop her emotional attachment.
Guardian Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2009, 09:37 PM   #88
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral
 
DevilEyes's Avatar
 
Location: basking in the warmth of the Fire Caves
View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile
Re: Do you think T'Pol...

Puritan wrote: View Post

According to Memory Alpha, Tuvok was born in 2264, six years after Star Trek tales place, so he's not even born yet. One would imagine that the destruction of the home world of his species would alter history enough that he would never have been born, but I guess one never knows if the universe will still "fate" him to be born (see Chekov)...
Well, if we can buy that the same people would still be born in the Mirror Universe, which diverged from the Prime Universe ages ago (and don't get me started on all those myriad alternate universes in Trek Lit ), then why not?
__________________
Treason, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2009, 12:16 AM   #89
Cpt Cullison
Ensign
 
Location: On the Bridge of the USS Mastodon
Re: Do you think T'Pol...

If T'pol was on vulcan at the time of the red matter process she may or may have not been on vulcan,now since she is in her early 100's she would most likey be on vulcan
Cpt Cullison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2009, 12:20 AM   #90
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Do you think T'Pol...

Is there a law stating all Vulcans over the age of 100 must live on Vulcan?
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
t'pol, vulcan

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.