Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 5 2009, 08:44 PM   #31
Trubinator
Rear Admiral

Re: Complete Farscape on DVD Nov 17

Chiming in here to say Farscape does indeed get better. Strangely, I loved the show from the get-go, but I do agree it gets much better after "A Bug's Life."
Old November 5 2009, 08:55 PM   #32
coolghoul
Fleet Captain

I'll just say that I remember that I liked one of the early episodes of Farscape greatly. I think it was the one where they land on an alien planet and make "contact" with an alien who is a Jodie-Foster-in-Contact kinda character. I remember liking that ep quite a bit.

I would stick with it too. The payoff from continuing it is some very memorable episodes. And I prefer Farscape's drama to its mad humor. Season 3 was very good. And so was the ending of season 4 (imo).
Old November 5 2009, 09:16 PM   #33
Leroy
Fleet Captain

RoJoHen wrote:
Well, people who don't already own the mini might care, as this will tell them whether or not they need to buy it separately.
I'm more or less addressing those who complain and want to practically boycott the release based on the fact that Peacekeeper Wars is not included.
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2009, 09:29 PM   #34
LitmusDragon
Commodore

Pre-ordered. Very exited about it.

I tried renting it off Netflix but the discs containing episodes 7-8 were continually unavailable. So I've only seen the first 6 episode. I liked those a lot though.

Last edited by LitmusDragon; November 5 2009 at 09:47 PM.
LitmusDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2009, 09:41 PM   #35
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

It'll be interesting to see if this set shows up here and, if so, what sort of horrendous price tag will be attached. I'd consider importing it anyway; the R4 sets were crap and several of my disks don't play any more, plus it's Farscape, so it'd be worth it to me.

I'm another who'd say the show skews sharply upward in quality from "A Bug's Life" on, although I found the quality pretty high before that anyway. It's one of the few shows I've seen where the actors "owned" their characters from the start and while some of the early eps are a bit iffy in some ways, they set up the characters for all the extraordinary things that happen later in the series. Perhaps more than most other shows Farscape isn't for everyone; if you're not hooked after the last few eps of season one, you probably never will be. To each their own.
Old November 5 2009, 09:42 PM   #36
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I might buy this.I saw this on Amazon Canada for $134 something so I will pick it up. That's a lot better than the almost two hundred something the originals. I like the box art, simple but elegant.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2009, 09:49 PM   #37
selina
Fleet Captain

I'm living in Europe, so I never ordered anything at Amazon.com, but the price is really, really good and the exchange rate is good, too ( I hope), so I might order it. If anyone here gets the DVDS could he/she please post if the mini-series is included?
selina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2009, 12:24 AM   #38
IcecreamLtDan
Captain

As far as I've found, the only way to get this set with the mini-series is to get the best buy exclusive edition.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Far...-Edition/12678
IcecreamLtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2009, 12:55 AM   #39
Smiley
Rear Admiral

From the minimal shopping around I've done, I've seen the series box set on Deep Discount DVD for $93 and the miniseries for $10 on Amazon. If the price is similar during the November sale, you could get the whole series for around $80. That's not too shabby.
Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2009, 07:06 AM   #40
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Orac Zen wrote: View Post
Farscape isn't for everyone; if you're not hooked after the last few eps of season one, you probably never will be. To each their own.
I was never *hooked*, although there were a few eps I thought were hilarious, such as this one where D'Argo and an alien pilot head into some kind of debris field where they find an old ship that D'Argo had always wanted to serve on. Long story short...
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2009, 01:54 PM   #41
Neroon
Mod of balance

I'm curious as to how the commentaries and other extras on THIS set compare to those on the Starburst set. I have the complete Starburst series, but S1 is on those damnable dual-sided discs. Hence, why I wouldn't mind replacing them at least.
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2009, 05:17 PM   #42
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Neroon wrote: View Post
I'm curious as to how the commentaries and other extras on THIS set compare to those on the Starburst set. I have the complete Starburst series, but S1 is on those damnable dual-sided discs. Hence, why I wouldn't mind replacing them at least.
Yeah, I'm convinced those DVD-18's are evil. I'm just glad that Universal is in the process of replacing them.

I'm also glad now that I never got the Starburst sets. The new Farscape set looks to be a better deal all the way around.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2009, 05:31 PM   #43
Neroon
Mod of balance

RandyS wrote: View Post
Yeah, I'm convinced those DVD-18's are evil. I'm just glad that Universal is in the process of replacing them.

I'm also glad now that I never got the Starburst sets. The new Farscape set looks to be a better deal all the way around.
Well, when they came out the only other option was the original high-priced set from ADV. And I was able to get the Starburst sets for a good deal from places online. Since I was hooked on Farscape like few other shows ever.... they were a blessing.

Or maybe a new drug.

Old November 6 2009, 08:46 PM   #44
23skidoo
Admiral

Thanks for the heads up on the Best Buy version with the miniseries. I'll check and see if it's available at the BBs here in Canada before I order from Amazon.

If not, it's not a huge deal as the miniseries is pretty easy to find separately. This isn't quite the same thing as, say, when they first released Twin Peaks on DVD and weren't allowed to include the first episode because of the clusterfrell involving the pilot movie.

Alex
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2009, 08:55 PM   #45
Neroon
Mod of balance

"clusterfrell" -

I approve of this word!