Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 11 2010, 05:42 PM   #346
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Re: Complete Farscape on DVD Nov 17

LitmusDragon wrote: View Post
How awesome is Scorpius?

He only gets better from here. Enjoy.
Old January 11 2010, 11:06 PM   #347
Harvey
Admiral

Lindley wrote: View Post
Harvey wrote: View Post
When does that occur in the episode? I'll check the corresponding Starburst DVD to see if it occurs there, too.
Just as Crichton has finally pulled the grate off the fire to get the key. The particular frame is a close-up of the coals.
It's taken a little bit, but I'm giving the episode a check now...

EDIT: Went frame by frame, and I don't see it on the Starburst version.

LitmusDragon wrote: View Post
Now I'm two episodes into season two and I'm busy being thrown off by the changes to the character designs. It took me a little while to realize what was so weird looking about D'argo-- his beard! Or sideburns! Or whatever they are! Omg! Actually I think I'm used to those now, but what's really messing with me is the changes to the Rygel puppet. I had grown so attached to the original one that every time he comes onscreen it jars me out of the storyline a bit. I suppose I'll get used to it eventually.
Dargo also has a darker skin tone beginning with the second season. Which is rationalized by the writers due to his exposure to the bright explosion at the end of season one. I think the look is much improved.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.

Last edited by Harvey; January 11 2010 at 11:18 PM.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2010, 02:47 AM   #348
Dar70
Rear Admiral

After watching all of these within 7 weeks, I feel like I can watch them again. But Im gonna wait a few years.
Dar70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2010, 08:23 AM   #349
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Had another mega Farscape Marathon tonight. I'm getting a bit sad we're approaching the end. It's been great watching this series again, and everything so soon.

Unrealized Reality, Kansas, and Terra Firma: I think if you watch Kansas right after UR, it will help you understand UR much better. On it's own, UR was an amazing episode, but these three make such a great storyline at this point of the season. As for Kansas, this one really is a great episode, and I have more to say about Terra Firma Below.

Twice Shy - After the brilliance that was the last three episodes, this one seems so thin in comparison. Probably my second least favorite episode of the season, preceeded by Coup by Clam.

Mental as Anything - I didn't notice any bugs on this episode. Might have been a particular disc. As for the episode, another one I really like even though I wonder if it had been better in Season 2.

Bringing Home the Beacon - Is it just me, or is this episode just really really sad at the end. For one, it's a reminder that the season is close to ending and so is the series, and two, John lost Aeryn for a time. I really like the political ramifications on this one and it really does a good job setting up Katratci, but when John saw the Bioloid at the end, that set off an emotional spark in me even though I've seen this episode a few other times. Of course I know in Part II of We're So Screwed, we get Kick Ass Aeryn back, but that's quite a ways.

As for Terra Firma, this is one of my favorite episodes of the series. Most series that have the goal of getting home always end either they get home and that's it or they don't get home. I know this series has grown so much from the original premise of getting John Home, but part of the reason I love this episode was because it did bring him home, finishing a goal, and now we get to see Consequences. Everyone always says BSG is what they wanted to see in Voyager, well, Terra Firma is what I wanted to see in Voyager Season 7. Given it's the 13th episode of Farscape's final season, I think it's really cool that yes a goal has been reached and we get to see how much it changes John.

As for the Change, I'm not sure if there were many complaints about bringing the issue of 9/11/01 into this episode, but I absolutely love it. Perhaps it might make the episode dated, but I really don't think so. I think this show knew how much damage that day caused to the entire world, even way before we really did. Of course this episode aired in 2003, but it did a good job conveying the sense of paranoia we're still feeling today.

I will definitely finish the series this week (Probably not the mini) and it's been a great ride to revisit. I think I'm still convinced Farscape is my favorite show ever.
Old January 12 2010, 08:28 AM   #350
RoJoHen
Awesome

"Twice Shy" is one of those episodes that would have been great in Season 1 but feels very out of place in Season 4. It's very much a filler episode in the middle of the final arc of the series (which more or less starts with "Unrealized Reality"). That said, the last scene of "Twice Shy" is incredibly important!

I was never a huge fan of "Terra Firma." I just didn't like many of the actors chosen to play John's friends and family. And yeah, you can count me as someone who didn't like the 9/11 reference. At that point, we were still being flooded with 9/11 stuff on the news, and I was just tired of hearing about it. The last thing I wanted was for my favorite sci-fi show to bring it up as well.
Old January 12 2010, 08:30 AM   #351
BigFoot
Admiral

I've always absolutely loved Terra Firma.

And "Merry frelling Christmas" is still one of my favourite lines ever.
BigFoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2010, 05:44 PM   #352
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

BigFoot wrote: View Post
I've always absolutely loved Terra Firma.

And "Merry frelling Christmas" is still one of my favourite lines ever.
I love that line.
Old January 12 2010, 07:39 PM   #353
BigFoot
Admiral

^ Yeah I just love the way Black delivers it.
BigFoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2010, 09:00 PM   #354
Harvey
Admiral

Terra Firma is supposed to take place when it was aired--2003, no? A 9/11 reference doesn't seem out of place, especially considering what kind of man Jack Crichton is.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2010, 09:28 PM   #355
RoJoHen
Awesome

Terra Firma is supposed to take place when it was aired--2003, no? A 9/11 reference doesn't seem out of place, especially considering what kind of man Jack Crichton is.
It only seemed out of place to me because, in my mind, Farscape took place in a slightly different universe from our own. Pop culture references? Sure, awesome! Those are fun. References to a tragedy that had JUST happened and that we were still hearing about almost hourly on the news? I just would have preferred it not mentioned.
Old January 12 2010, 09:35 PM   #356
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
It only seemed out of place to me because, in my mind, Farscape took place in a slightly different universe from our own. Pop culture references? Sure, awesome! Those are fun. References to a tragedy that had JUST happened and that we were still hearing about almost hourly on the news? I just would have preferred it not mentioned.
You're right it did take place in a different universe, but for this episode, it did come to our universe. Even in the premiere episode, I thought it took place on Present day Earth, so coming back to earth it only seemed appropriate to keep it at present day earth, even though the show for the most part was in a completely different universe most of the time. I think that was the ultimate point of the episode. The two universes colliding with John right in the middle.
Old January 12 2010, 09:44 PM   #357
RoJoHen
Awesome

I just think they could have accomplished the same thing without mentioning 9/11. I rolled my eyes when Jack brought it up.
Old January 12 2010, 09:47 PM   #358
Trubinator
Rear Admiral

Count me as a "Terra Firma" lover too. The opening monologue by Crichton as he's out on the water is hauntingly good.
Old January 13 2010, 12:14 AM   #359
HighteeHeller
Rear Admiral

Dar70 wrote: View Post
After watching all of these within 7 weeks, I feel like I can watch them again. But Im gonna wait a few years.
Uh huh.
What will really happen is that you will watch it again within the next year..maybe even within six months.
Then, when you have watched it a second time, loving it even more then the first, you will think that you need to have someone else watch it too because of it pure awesomeness! You will convince them to watch it but in order for that to happen you will have to watch it with them in case they miss its pure awesomeness. This cycle will repeat ad nauseum.
HighteeHeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2010, 12:24 AM   #360
Dar70
Rear Admiral

HighteeHeller wrote: View Post
Dar70 wrote: View Post
Uh huh.
What will really happen is that you will watch it again within the next year..maybe even within six months.
Then, when you have watched it a second time, loving it even more then the first, you will think that you need to have someone else watch it too because of it pure awesomeness! You will convince them to watch it but in order for that to happen you will have to watch it with them in case they miss its pure awesomeness. This cycle will repeat ad nauseum.
No. I dont want to get burned out on it like Star Trek. I will drag it out every few years and have mini marathons I think. But you are right this is an awesome show. Most definitely my favorite scifi/fantasy show.
Dar70 is offline   Reply With Quote