Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 24 2009, 02:20 PM   #286
Faldor
Fleet Captain

View Faldor's Twitter Profile
Re: Complete Farscape on DVD Nov 17

I watched the first season again for the first time in a decade (Christ, I'm old) and I was really impressed with it. It dives a little in the middle but overall there are a lot of clever and fun episodes in there, and it was a nice reminder that shows can be great without a story arc.
Old December 24 2009, 02:33 PM   #287
bbailey861
Admiral

BigFoot wrote: View Post
^ I can't comment on the new A&E box set, but the Starburst DVDs look just fine when upscaled and viewed on my 46" LCD (viewing distance is about 8').
Thank you, I think I'll take the plunge.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2009, 03:12 PM   #288
omegaone
Lieutenant Commander

Any word on if this set is coming out in Australia? and any blu ray news?
omegaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2009, 09:59 PM   #289
Skywalker
Admiral

bbailey861 wrote: View Post
I loved the series but wasn't spending the ridiculous amounts they wanted previously wanted for the sets. The A&E box set is certainly attractive but now I have concens of it being shown on a 47" HDTV. Does anyone else have a HDTV setup - and if so, how does it look on screen?
I'm watching the A&E set on a 42" HDTV. It's obviously not going to be nearly as sharp as a Blu-ray or even a TV show filmed with HD in mind, but it's very watchable. The first couple episodes are a little weak, especially "Premiere" (no surprise since it was the pilot), but the quality gets better a few episodes into season one. I haven't gotten to season two yet, but I imagine that with the better budget and effects, it will look much better.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2009, 12:33 AM   #290
Yoda
Rear Admiral

I'm in season two myself... Looks pretty good on a 50" 720p screen. I was expecting worse to be honest. It's not like trying to watch Babylon 5 effects shots or anything
Old December 25 2009, 05:18 AM   #291
RoJoHen
Awesome

This thread motivated me to watch "A Clockwork Nebari" last night...which accidentally turned into a huge marathon. I watched all the way through "Self-Inflicted Wounds." Then it was 5am, and I was sad, so I went to bed.
Old December 25 2009, 09:39 AM   #292
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
This thread motivated me to watch "A Clockwork Nebari" last night...which accidentally turned into a huge marathon. I watched all the way through "Self-Inflicted Wounds." Then it was 5am, and I was sad, so I went to bed.
You get to that part of the series where yes that happens, even though I don't know if I can do all that. Did do Liars Guns and Money up through Season of Death though. That was fun.
Old December 25 2009, 09:43 AM   #293
RoJoHen
Awesome

It's been a while since I've watched that chunk of episodes all together. When I'm in a Farscape mood, I usually just put in "The Peacekeeper Wars."

I watched the next batch tonight, up through "Losing Time."

I've owned the DVDs ever since the original ADV release, so I've watched this show at least a dozen times all the way through. I'm pretty much an expert and can quote almost every episode word-for-word. It's a little hard to find the magic these days.
Old December 25 2009, 09:34 PM   #294
Dar70
Rear Admiral

I have now watched all the way through season 3. Im still impressed what they were able to do with a small budget. Once I get towards the end of season 4 it will be new territory for me. I had to stop watching before the last seven episodes air. I had fallen asleep during two episodes that season and didnt want to continue watching since it was so arc based by that time. At the time I was working crazy hours and still in school and didnt catch reruns and watching stuff online was very hard back than. Sadly reruns werent shown much these last six years and I have waited patiently for cheap dvds.

So there are about 7 eps and the Peace Keeper wars that are still new to me.(though I do know a couple of tidbits from spoiler happy jerks.) But not enough to ruin the experience for me.
Dar70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2009, 09:38 PM   #295
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

^Have fun. So glad when I bought the sets, it came with PK Wars as the bonus exclusive. Made that $74 (Tax included) all the more better.
Old December 28 2009, 05:06 AM   #296
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

I think I know what my problem with Season 3 is, and why I seem to be in a minority in thinking Season 2 was the show's best season. Season 3 introduced Jool. God I forgot how annoying she was and how annoying some of those first few episodes of the season were. Now I just finished Thanks for Sharing and the crews have split off and things are now going to get really really great. It's just why did they have to introduce annoying characters like Jool and Granny as the series finished up.

It's really great rewatching these episodes though. Like I said, just finished Thanks for Sharing and while it was set up, it did more than that. It gave the season direction with some great developments and stuff like that. Next up is the Ben Browder Penned one, which I remember really liking.
Old December 28 2009, 06:51 AM   #297
RoJoHen
Awesome

Jool and Granny never bothered me. I was actually rather upset when Jool left in Season 4. Granny was kind of weird at first, but in the final stretch of the show I think she really became an awesome, valuable character.
Old December 28 2009, 03:58 PM   #298
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Jool and Granny were annoying, but I liked Sikozu. Go figure.

Last edited by Kegg; December 28 2009 at 08:19 PM.
Kegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2009, 07:30 PM   #299
coolghoul
Fleet Captain

^ Agree.

I liked her going Kat-Rat-Zee in that s4.

I hated the retcon of sikozu in PKW. Oh well...
Old December 28 2009, 07:45 PM   #300
RoJoHen
Awesome

coolghoul wrote: View Post

I hated the retcon of sikozu in PKW. Oh well...
That does come out of nowhere, and I wish we could have seen the original story where that didn't happen, but oh well. You just have to remember that 2 months pass between "Bad Timing" and "Peacekeeper Wars," and in that time the Scarrens must have offered Sikozu a pretty sweet deal to make her change loyalties. Sikozu has never exactly been a team player. If a better-sounding offer comes along (like the Scarrens promising to free her people), she's naive enough to take it.