TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 23 2009, 06:28 AM   #271
Harvey
Admiral

Re: Complete Farscape on DVD Nov 17

I've only seen it (and the fourth season) once, but what I didn't like about A Prefect Murder was that it re-told the same narrative several times, but without enough difference to warrant the concept. Perhaps my vague memory is wrong on this, but if it's not, it would be akin to doing Roshomon (which the series already made reference to in the second season) where the same perpetrators are revealed each time.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2009, 08:37 AM   #272
RoJoHen
Awesome

Harvey wrote: View Post
I've only seen it (and the fourth season) once, but what I didn't like about A Prefect Murder was that it re-told the same narrative several times, but without enough difference to warrant the concept. Perhaps my vague memory is wrong on this, but if it's not, it would be akin to doing Roshomon (which the series already made reference to in the second season) where the same perpetrators are revealed each time.
Nope, that's it.

It's like they only had 10 minutes of story but decided to tell it 4 or 5 times to fill an entire episode. It was just boring.
Old December 23 2009, 12:45 PM   #273
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Also the story is overblown, the final reveal is campy in the extreme (the villain is chowing down on scenery rather than chewing it), there's a romance subplot which is basically just two or three scenes of softcore fondling and then at the very end of the episode they decide to give that some character development.

Honestly, there are only a few episodes of the series I'd consider as holistically awful as this one.
Old December 23 2009, 07:32 PM   #274
RoJoHen
Awesome

However, if I recall correctly, that episode does help re-establish the weird powers that Chiana had developed, which had more or less been ignored for most of the season.
Old December 23 2009, 11:33 PM   #275
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Ah yes, Chiana's nebulously defined and forever being re-established special powers.

Not my favourite plot point, as one can deduce.
Old December 24 2009, 01:13 AM   #276
lvsxy808
Rear Admiral

Lindley wrote: View Post
One of the things that has struck me on this watch-through is clothing. There really is a feeling that there's a limited amount of clothing available. The captured alien being given John's flight suit in that episode with the arm bands, and the way John wears the Peacekeeper Commando vest through most of season 2.
Kegg wrote: View Post
On clothing: They seemed a little uncertain to me about how they wanted to dress Crichton in early season two. Clearly, they felt it was time for the astronaut jumpsuit to go, and they seemed to toy around with some different looks for the guy, taking a cue I think from the Peacekeeper uniform he wore last season.
The clothes they put Crichton in are a deliberate choice, surely, in the way they mirror his character development.

He starts off in the IASA jumpsuit, signifying that he wants to stay as close to his ties to Earth as possible. But by the end of the second season, he's wearing PK clothes pretty much constantly.

This matches the de-innocence-ing of Crichton, and it's exemplified by the episode "My Three Crichtons." Gentle and innocent proto-Crichton wears the jumpsuit. Confused and defiant current-Crichton wears the basic black t-shirt. Smug and unfeeling future-Crichton wears the PK uniform. All of that is entirely deliberate.

Kegg wrote: View Post
Ah yes, Chiana's nebulously defined and forever being re-established special powers. Not my favourite plot point, as one can deduce.
I do wonder what the hell was going on there.

In season 3, she was pre-cognitive, and they implied it was because of her contact with the Energy Rider from "Losing Time," either leaving something behind in her or activating something latent in her Nebari physiology. It was used for a few curious moments, but nothing substantial by the end of season 3.

In season 4, she could slow down current time but not see the future anymore. They give no explanation for the change. I can only assume they decided the new powers were necessary for the season's storylines, but that does make me wonder what the original plans were that got scrapped for the change.

And then in "season 5" aka PKW, suddenly she can see power signatures, which is explained as having new eyes physically implanted - a completely different type of explanation from the first. At least it's used a little during the attack on the Scarren ship.

It's unfortunately an example of thinking about the end result required and twisting a character to fit it, which is kind of backwards from how it should be.

Read Deep Space Nine, Season 10
All 22 eps available to read on-screen or download and keep!
lvsxy808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2009, 02:54 AM   #277
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Zhaan's makeup in season 4 was distinctly different from her previous appearance. Is there any reason for that? I heard she was wearing a skullcap rather than actually being bald, but it looked like more than that.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2009, 03:03 AM   #278
Kegg
Rear Admiral

lvsxy808 - my memory may be failing me, but early in S2 they went through one or two shirt/pants combos. That's what I meant, though yes, the observation about the importance of the change and the three Crichtons is doubly true (and I'd never considered that before, honestly, in the latter case.)

Zhaan's makeup in season 4 was distinctly different from her previous appearance. Is there any reason for that? I heard she was wearing a skullcap rather than actually being bald, but it looked like more than that.
She had a bad reaction to the original makeup, which is why she had to leave to begin with.
Old December 24 2009, 03:27 AM   #279
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Still think they probably could have gotten her appearance a bit closer. Oh well.

And how the heck did they get all the middle fingers past the censors in "Kansas"?
Old December 24 2009, 05:41 AM   #280
Plomeek Broth
Captain

Is Farscape worth a blind buy for the Complete Series? Especially with the killer Best Buy deal. I've only seen a couple of episodes. The only troubling thing I take from this thread is how everyone keeps saying you have to watch almost the entire first season before it starts getting good.
Plomeek Broth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2009, 05:56 AM   #281
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

It's not that the first season is bad. It's merely average. The ending begins to show some of what the show eventually becomes later on. It gets pretty darn epic down the road. The pattern is a bit similar to Babylon 5 in that way, actually.

My only real criticism is its occasional over-reliance on toilet humor.

Yeah, it's worth a blind buy.
Old December 24 2009, 06:00 AM   #282
Plomeek Broth
Captain

It's not that the first season is bad. It's merely average. The ending begins to show some of what the show eventually becomes later on. It gets pretty darn epic down the road.

My only real criticism is its occasional over-reliance on toilet humor.

Yeah, it's worth a blind buy.
Thanks. Now I will have to fight the "insane last minute gift shopper crowd" tomorrow.
Plomeek Broth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2009, 06:41 AM   #283
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile

^Why not watch the first season though. I loved the first season, because it set the building blocks to the show and introduced the characters. I know I'm biased, but yes, it's worth a blind buy.

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2009, 01:42 PM   #284
Bumbles861
Admiral

I loved the series but wasn't spending the ridiculous amounts they wanted previously wanted for the sets. The A&E box set is certainly attractive but now I have concens of it being shown on a 47" HDTV. Does anyone else have a HDTV setup - and if so, how does it look on screen?
Bumbles861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2009, 02:04 PM   #285
BigFoot
Admiral

^ I can't comment on the new A&E box set, but the Starburst DVDs look just fine when upscaled and viewed on my 46" LCD (viewing distance is about 8').
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote