Stewart Snotbot Support
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Ryan Joins Arrow
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Retro Review: Jetrel
By: Michelle on Jul 24

New ThinkGeek Trek-Themed Products
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old December 21 2009, 12:03 AM   #256
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Re: Complete Farscape on DVD Nov 17

Harvey wrote: View Post
Isn't it called "A Prefect Murder?" I'd say the play on words in the title is the best thing about the episode, which isn't much of a compliment. Easily the worst of the season.
You're correct, and I'd agree with RoJoHen it's one of the worst episodes of the series (though not tied with "I, ET", more "Taking the Stone").

If I were to praise the episode for anything further... the puppet work on the priest was good, above-par for a guest character puppet.
Old December 21 2009, 12:16 AM   #257
Goji
Rear Admiral

I actually think the following episode, "Coup By Clam", is much worse, thanks to sheer pointlessness, distasteful gross-out effects, and a completely implausible subplot (really? We were not supposed to notice that character was a girl until we were told so?). By the time Rygel bit off that one guy's nose, I was done.
Goji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2009, 12:23 AM   #258
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Goji wrote: View Post
I actually think the following episode, "Coup By Clam", is much worse,
That's also quite poor. Definitely a low point in that season, honestly. So basically I think the Earth arc is good, the final arc is great, and there are a smattering of good, mediocre and awful episodes for the rest of the season.

Though as far as arcs go, am I the only one who thinks the whole Arnessk arc is a complete mess? The plot feels more convoluted and nonsensical each time I watch it (Grayza's ever nebulous motivations especially). Bleh. At least it does set up stuff we get some payoff on in the miniseries.
Old December 21 2009, 12:45 AM   #259
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

Grayza was there to be frelling hot and show off her cleavage. Honestly never really quite figured her out. I mean she's so nebulous and shifty, like... ohhhhkay... so you want for what now?

Scorpius was sorta like that early on, granted yes he was the bad guy and yes he wanted John's wormhole knowledge, but the reasons why he wanted it weren't really made clear until after we find out more about the Scarran threat and even then it was sort of confusing what he planned on using with it, other than that wormhole weapon that Ancient guy made up.

I'm still a bit surprised that Virginia Hey never really came back during that last season or during PK Wars - even if she wasn't in full on makeup - since I think I heard rumor that she got really really sick from the makeup they used on her and that's part of the reason she left the show. But it would have been nice to see like a "spirit form" of Zhann come back or hell just have her playing some Peacekeeper officer and maybe Aeryn could give a sorta wink like "You look so familiar..."

I know it would have been a tad cutesy, but then again... this is FARSCAPE. A series that had a Chuck Jones styled episode - yes I know it was a dream sequence but STILL!
Old December 21 2009, 12:52 AM   #260
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Badarse St. Nick wrote: View Post
Grayza was there to be frelling hot and show off her cleavage. Honestly never really quite figured her out. I mean she's so nebulous and shifty, like... ohhhhkay... so you want for what now?
Pretty much. Grayza was one of the big weak links of this season for me, though as far as new villains went the Scarrans I thought finally came into their own this year, after being mainly notable for an ineffectual puppet/actor hybrid in earlier years and more of the idea of a threat than an onscreen threat.

Scorpius was sorta like that early on, granted yes he was the bad guy and yes he wanted John's wormhole knowledge, but the reasons why he wanted it weren't really made clear until after we find out more about the Scarran threat and even then it was sort of confusing what he planned on using with it, other than that wormhole weapon that Ancient guy made up.
The wormhole weapon thing was a retcon for the miniseries - which I was fine with. Early on it's hinted that just wormholes are useful for waging war - you could make planets disappear, cause your fleets to jump in somewhere, et cetera. I think the potential uses for an instant corridor from one point in the universe to any other point of your choice is fairly self-explanatory even if we ignore the final miniseries' universe-destroying weapon.

I'm still a bit surprised that Virginia Hey never really came back during that last season or during PK Wars - even if she wasn't in full on makeup -
Well, there was the whole 'Zhaan is dead' problem. Despite which they managed to get semi-plausible excuses for her to cameo twice in the fourth season. Not bad, that.
Old December 21 2009, 01:01 AM   #261
Goji
Rear Admiral

The only problem I ever had with Grayza comes during the "We're So Screwed" trilogy. If we accept that she was, in fact, a staunch supporter of a peace pact with the Scarrans, I find it difficult to believe she would give up so easily and decide to launch a preemptive attack on their base like she does. That action in particular seemed to come out of nowhere, just so Bracca would have an excuse to take command and get rid of her.
Goji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2009, 10:13 AM   #262
Yoda
Rear Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Harvey wrote: View Post
Isn't it called "A Prefect Murder?" I'd say the play on words in the title is the best thing about the episode, which isn't much of a compliment. Easily the worst of the season.
I would say worst of the series, personally. Tied with "I, E.T."
Taking the stone was the poopiest of them all. Hot on the heals of another stinker, Vitas Mortis.... it's like Vitas Mortis takes up all your ability to handle a crap episode, and then next think you know you're Taking the Stone with nothing in reserve. Not pretty.
Old December 21 2009, 05:05 PM   #263
bbailey861
Admiral

View bbailey861's Twitter Profile

I would like some feedback on the quality of these discs played back on a HDTV system (it would be upscaled through a Blu-ray player). Do the episodes hold up well being played on a bigger screen or is there any quality loss? Thanks.
bbailey861 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2009, 04:50 AM   #264
sjsharksfan39
Admiral

View sjsharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I don't even remember Prefect Murder (I always thought it was Perfect so there you go) so it will be interesting to see if I enjoy it. Still have to get through season 3 though, which will be fun, with episodes like Relativity, Incubator, Ravenging Angel, and the final 3 episodes of the season still to come.
Old December 22 2009, 04:53 AM   #265
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

I love Crichton humming along to the incidental music in "I Shrink Therefore I Am".
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2009, 07:51 PM   #266
LitmusDragon
Commodore

I'm a first time watcher about mid-way through season one, and I think they need to find some new story ideas. It seems like we've gotten three or four episodes where one of the characters acts strangely, and two or three episodes where something goes wrong with Moya. I'm guessing by the end of the season there will be a shakeup of some sort. Looking forward to that.

PS- DNA mad scientist was pretty good. What a creepy puppet.

PPS- I do like the show, but it seems to be a bit repetitive to this point.
LitmusDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2009, 07:59 PM   #267
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

One of the things that has struck me on this watch-through is clothing. There really is a feeling that there's a limited amount of clothing available. The captured alien being given John's flight suit in that episode with the arm bands, and the way John wears the Peacekeeper Commando vest through most of season 2.
Old December 22 2009, 08:04 PM   #268
Kegg
Rear Admiral

On clothing: They seemed a little uncertain to me about how they wanted to dress Crichton in early season two. Clearly, they felt it was time for the astronaut jumpsuit to go, and they seemed to toy around with some different looks for the guy, taking a cue I think from the Peacekeeper uniform he wore last season.

LitmusDragon wrote: View Post
I'm guessing by the end of the season there will be a shakeup of some sort. Looking forward to that.
Oh, and well you should. IMHO anyway, but the end of season one is one of the best stretches of the show.

Last edited by Kegg; December 22 2009 at 08:32 PM.
Kegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2009, 08:11 PM   #269
RoJoHen
Awesome

Yeah, if the end of Season 1 doesn't have you on the edge of your seat, the show probably isn't for you.
Old December 23 2009, 06:00 AM   #270
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

I'm not quite sure why everyone is so down on "A Prefect Murder". Sure, it's nothing special, but it's no worse than a dozen other standalone episodes I could name.