Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 7 2009, 03:41 PM   #211
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Re: Complete Farscape on DVD Nov 17

Eh, $4 seems a minimal fee for the need-it-right-now factor.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2009, 06:52 AM   #212
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Actually, I went by the Best Buy where I got the set, talked to customer service, she talked to her manager, and they price matched Amazon, so I got thirteen bucks cash back.

Go me.

Old December 9 2009, 07:38 AM   #213
Trent Roman
Rear Admiral

I finished off the first season the other day. I don't think the series has engrossed me the way it seems to have many others on this board. I think it's standard soap opera fare; running afoul of local troubles on alien worlds (then solving them), bumping into strange space phenomena, and staging narrow escapes from pursuing bad guys. A pleasant enough way to spend an hour, but usually nothing that makes me sit up and take notice. The season finale is possibly an exception; the cliffhanger was well done, and makes me want to order the second season (eventually...). So I've liked some of the plots, and some of the characters, mostly John, Zhaan and Chianna, have grown on me (though, conversely, I wish Rygel would encounter a pair of scissors, and soon)... mostly, the problem seems to be that I can't quite get comfortable with the show's aesthetic. Particularly the aliens. Particularly Rygel. The make-up on some of the leads is great (Zhaan and Chianna look amazing, and I don't just mean the actress, though that helps), but most of the aliens on the show look like they stepped out of 50s B-movie, all rubber and fabric and glowy headdresses. I'm not sure why--I've enjoyed series with even more outré aesthetics, like the similarly-themed Lexx, but that show knew it was risible. Which is something else that oftens throws me out of the show: the skewed sense of humour, which misses about as often as it hits. Particularly John, with his bizarre non sequiturs and constant pop culture references that he ought damn well know nobody gets. It was mildly amusing once or twice, it's just dumb by now. Oh, and Rygel. (Seriously, fart jokes? What is this, Phantom Menace?)

Anyway, hopefully the fans won't excorciate me for the above. I do plan to eventually return to the series, since I found the first season essentially adequate, and have been told that it gets better--and besides, it's not like there's much anything else in this vein out there to watch, these days.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman
Old December 9 2009, 07:50 AM   #214
Hanukkah Solo
Admiral

All I can say is keep watching. It really takes off in Seasons Two and Three.

I ordered my set (along with The Peacekeeper Wars) last night from Amazon, decided the price was way too good to pass up.
Hanukkah Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2009, 08:34 AM   #215
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile

Watched Look at the Princess the other night. Still great episode even though it has one scene which I should like but I don't. It's the scene with John flying in space and surviving. How the hell did that happen, while just a few episodes earlier we saw a dream of him with the helmet breaking and his face becoming all disfigured. However, the scene before that with him being all insane and saying "We're so Screeewwwed" was my favorite bit of the entire three parter. You take some, and receive some I guess.

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2009, 08:41 AM   #216
Hanukkah Solo
Admiral

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
Watched Look at the Princess the other night. Still great episode even though it has one scene which I should like but I don't. It's the scene with John flying in space and surviving. How the hell did that happen
Because he was only in space for a few seconds. You'd get pretty messed up (and Crichton did), but IIRC, a human can possibly survive being exposed to space for a few seconds.
How the hell did that happen, while just a few episodes earlier we saw a dream of him with the helmet breaking and his face becoming all disfigured.
Well, that was a dream.
Hanukkah Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2009, 03:42 PM   #217
Dar70
Rear Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
od0_ital wrote: View Post
bigdaddy wrote: View Post
You could have gotten it from Amazon for $66 and most likely no tax.
Yeah, but I got it seconds after I paid for it, and it includes the post-series mini.

So, nyah!

Odo, the Amazon $66 includes the post series mini.
The set was $58 and they sold the post series mini for $8. No tax.
So you paid $70(is this with tax?) vs $66(no tax+free ship).
We are only talking $8 bucks more for instant gratification.
Besides Odo has trumped us all. I should have tried that at my BestBuy. Doubt they would have done that though. Especially since Amazons $58 is without peacekeeper wars.

Last edited by Dar70; December 9 2009 at 06:40 PM.
Dar70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2009, 08:02 PM   #218
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

The biggest immediate danger when exposed to space is that if you have air in your lungs, it could be explosively expelled due to the difference in pressure. If you breathe out as much as possible and you keep your mouth open so that the remaining pressure has an easy escape route, you should be able to survive space for a short time because:

1) Your veins and capillaries are strong enough to counteract your blood pressure in most cases. You'd probably have bloodshot eyes and some strange bruises afterwords, but your blood wouldn't "boil" as the myth goes.

2) There's no medium to transfer heat away from you, so you wouldn't freeze immediately. Loss of heat via radiation takes time.

3) Lack of oxygen would knock you out in seconds, but your body can survive longer than that without it, and permanent brain damage wouldn't start immediately either.
Old December 9 2009, 08:44 PM   #219
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile

^So what you're saying is that scene does make some sense then. That actually makes me feel a lot better because I've always wondered why he did survive that.

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2009, 09:57 PM   #220
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

I would say that of all the impossible things in Farscape, that one is not the least plausible.
Old December 9 2009, 10:27 PM   #221
RoJoHen
Awesome

^So what you're saying is that scene does make some sense then. That actually makes me feel a lot better because I've always wondered why he did survive that.
Yeah, it made sense. I mean, a real person may not have been able to focus and shoot a gun like he did to propel himself into the other ship, but he would almost certainly survive.
Old December 9 2009, 10:30 PM   #222
Kegg
Rear Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Yeah, it made sense. I mean, a real person may not have been able to focus and shoot a gun like he did to propel himself into the other ship, but he would almost certainly survive.
A real person wouldn't have a Neural Clone doing everything in its power to keep him alive, though.
Old December 9 2009, 10:32 PM   #223
RoJoHen
Awesome

Kegg wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
A real person wouldn't have a Neural Clone doing everything in its power to keep him alive, though.
Well, no, but a real person, assuming they knew to exhale before opening the door, would survive for a little while.

I mean, it would suck, but they'd still live.
Old December 9 2009, 11:31 PM   #224
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Dasher70 wrote: View Post
Captain Craig wrote: View Post
od0_ital wrote: View Post

Yeah, but I got it seconds after I paid for it, and it includes the post-series mini.

So, nyah!

Odo, the Amazon $66 includes the post series mini.
The set was $58 and they sold the post series mini for $8. No tax.
So you paid $70(is this with tax?) vs $66(no tax+free ship).
We are only talking $8 bucks more for instant gratification.
Besides Odo has trumped us all. I should have tried that at my BestBuy. Doubt they would have done that though. Especially since Amazons $58 is without peacekeeper wars.
You got a hooker when you bought it?
Old December 10 2009, 01:51 AM   #225
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Dasher70 wrote: View Post
... Besides Odo has trumped us all...
QFT.